Rooftop tower on metal roofs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rooftop tower on metal roofs?

KG4IDA
11-06-2005, 18:21
Has anyone tried using one of the small rooftop towers on a metal roof? I am about to reroof my house. Right now I have both a vertical and a dipole attached to a piece of pipe attached to a chimney. I intend to do away with both chimneys when I reroof and I want to use metal roofing so I need another way to put up everything. I thought about putting everything on a pole in the yard but I fear I will come home to find kids trying to climb it.

martho
11-06-2005, 19:47
What type of antennas are you using.

You say a vertical and a dipole, however is it a VHF/UHF vert or a HF vert? What bands?

The dipole, for which band is it cut and how high off the ground?

The roof will have some interaction, however lets figure out on what bands you are using the antennas and we can get a better answer for you.

KG4IDA
11-07-2005, 18:12
The vertical is a Diamond X-50NA 2m/440. The dipole is a G5RV clone for 80-10M. The base of the vertical and the apex of the dipole is at about 40 ft. The legs are at about 10 ft.

martho
11-07-2005, 21:29
The x50 and any roofing interaction should be minimal. The wire antenna is high enough away from the roofing, that should not be an issue, either.

Now, for your question. You have many optinons for your antenna supports. A local club station has a rooftop tower mounted on a metal roof which has been secured to the steel framing under the roof. It works just fine.

A few years ago in QST, there was an article about a rotor/tripod mounted in the attic and just the mast coming out of the roofline. You may be able to do this without having the rotor(vert doesnt need one) and having just the mast exposed above the roofline. I dont know which QST, but a members only search on arrl.org should help you find it.

Another option is to use a push up mast secured to the side of the house. Or just 3 - 10' 1 1/2" masts secured to the house.

There are several inexpensive ways to do it. Do you have a desired height?

KG4IDA
11-09-2005, 20:50
I am reluctant to use a push up pole because it is reachable from the ground. There is a group of young kids in the neighborhood that are "climbers". I have run them out of a couple of trees in my yard several times as have my neighbors. I have a Gap Titan still in the box in my basement but I don't want to mount it at ground level. I realize that they probably couldn't really climb the pole but they could damage it. Another ham suggested wrapping the push up pole with barbed wire. I also could just go with a round crank up tower but that's a little more money than I really wanted to spend right now which is why I am thinking about one of the small rooftop towers. With my current setup with the dipole at 35-40 feet, it is worthless on 10, 12 and 15 meters, great on 17, 20 and 40 meters and fair on 80.