Alienware 7500 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alienware 7500

MNNICK21
11-11-2005, 21:55
Just got it tonight, I ran Far Cry/Doom 3/ Half life 2 at max settings, and it did not even phase it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-55 with HyperTransport Technology
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Power Supply: Alienware® Approved 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC
Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Conspiracy Blue
Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Liquid Cooling with AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling
Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Chipset Motherboard PCI Express
Graphics Processor: 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX - Includes Free Copy of BattleField 2 !
Memory: 2GB Low-Latency Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 at 333MHz - 4 x 512MB
System Drive: High Performance - 160GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround Firewire (IEEE® 1394)
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

IndyGunFreak
11-11-2005, 23:15
Damn, its powerful, no doubt about that.

If you don't mind mentioning, what did you pay for it? Alienware usually "overbuilds" their PC's, because they are popular with gamers.

JMag
11-11-2005, 23:27
That is an approximately $3200 system.

MNNICK21
11-12-2005, 07:53
$3400 with the Logitech Z5300e speakers.

To build my own would have saved me $889, But I have never done that, and I would not want to spend all that money and make some mistake.

JMag
11-12-2005, 16:29
Well...I was close. Nice 'puter, BTW. I may be looking to acquire one soon.

Be sure to let us know how it performs for you.

nikegolf13
11-13-2005, 01:58
What kinda FPS are you getting in HL2? My dated system gets around 20-30 FPS.

I'm hoping to get a new GPU for x-mas. I really wanna get a ATi X850 XT, but, they are very pricey and I think my CPU would bottleneck it.

2Gb of DDR PC-3200 RAM!?!? Your RAM alone would blow my system away! ;a

MNNICK21
11-13-2005, 16:06
I must say that I very impressed with my Alienware 7500. It met and surpassed all my expectations. For those who are contemplating getting a new rig from AW, you will not be disappointed. If you are in the know, you can build your own powerhouse rig for less money. But if something does go wrong then you have to fix it yourself and have to deal with the X amount of warranties for all you products. So in my case it was well worth the extra 800 dollars to have professionals build my computer and back it up. Alienware’s point and click customization and ordering is very easy. Once ordered you are given a code that will allow you to see at what stage of production you computer is at. They are also pretty quick. I placed my order on October 27th and it was delivered on November 11th.

As for the rig itself, it is a monster. It easily 2 ½ times bigger then my previous PC, the box it came in was bigger then most children. It looks great, very sleek with its menacing glowing red eyes. Remarkably quiet for how much tech is in her. Even playing HL2 or Far Cry at max settings it still does not reach the level noise that would be considered distracting or worrisome. I think that that this is do in part to the liquid cooling.

I have always been an Intel user and I never even considered AMD (As I thought it an inferior product). I was so very wrong. This is by far the fastest Machine that I have ever seen. It puts my Intel 3.06GHz HT to shame (which is still a great system). I have heard that ripping video and music can be slightly slower on an AMD; I have yet to confirm it.

If you are thinking about buying a new PC or upgrading you old one, I highly suggest getting a gig or more of ram. Ram is almost more important then your processor or graphics card. I went with two gigs which greatly boosted my gaming performance.

Scores
3dMark05 7842
Doom 3 110

I do not know, about Far Cry or HL2. But I know I can run both on high with no problems what so ever. Even HL2: Lost Coast runs like a dream.

Bottom-line is that that I was looking for the high-end gaming machine that will last me a few years. I have found it. I would highly recommend Alienware to anyone looking for a serious rig without building it yourself.

IndyGunFreak
11-13-2005, 16:22
Originally posted by MNNICK21
....But if something does go wrong then you have to fix it yourself and have to deal with the X amount of warranties for all you products.....

Bottom-line is that that I was looking for the high-end gaming machine that will last me a few years. I have found it. I would highly recommend Alienware to anyone looking for a serious rig without building it yourself.

The Warranty thing isn't as big a deal as it might seem, you get used to it after you build a few. I usually just use the motherboard box to save all the documentation for everything that is in the PC. When I have a problem, I know right where to look.

Alienware is probably top of the line as far as manufactured PC's go. They don't cut corners on hardware at all, unlike Dell, Gateway, etc. When you go to Alienware, you know you're going to spend a lot of money, but if you can build yourself, you can build the same rig they do at quite a discount(as you mentioned)....

Regardless, sounds like this all worked out well for and with the specs that thing has, it should be good for games for at least 2-3yrs(IMO)...

Best wishes
IGF

David_G17
11-16-2005, 09:42
What kinds of frame rates are you getting on solitaire?

;)