Anybody play with Apple's iDVD? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play with Apple's iDVD?

T. Harless
11-13-2005, 01:51
I'm a long time Mac user but first time doinking around with iMovie and iDVD. I liberated a Sony DV cam from work and shot my son's award assembly. Straight forward downloading the digital video to my Mac (Dual 2g G5), straight forward editing in iMovie, seemingly straight forward importing into iDVD. The video, the chapters, a small .mov in the intro and a song from my iTunes library. In iDVD everything runs as it should. I know it will take a while, but trying to burn the DVD it hangs up on "Stage 4 Multiplexing and Burning."
No error message just churning away at Stage 4. I let it go overnight last night. Probably 9 hours. Anybody have a clue? On background, again it's a dual processor 2G G5, 1.5G ram and gobs of HD space. iDVD 4 trying to write to the G5s internal Apple superdrive. I've tried now 3 different DVD-R medias. The production is just shy of 15 minutes. Nothing fancy. Thoughts?

Deanster
11-13-2005, 23:08
Bad news is that you get the multiplexing error for all kinds of things - anytime iDVD is unhappy, you tend to get that error. Good news is that there are several things to try.

Make sure you've got the latest version of iDVD - 5.0.1 (or 4.0.1 or later - 4.0 had issues).

Make sure that you've got your energy saver settings set to 'NEVER' for system sleep and drive sleep. DVD's take long enough to burn that system sleep attempts can foul up communication with the drive.

Another possibility is that you're getting a buffer under-run - rather than allowing iDVD to burn at 'best' speed, actually choose the max speed of your media or a slower speed, and see if that fixes it.

Finally, a few folks have reported that fixing permissions (via the Disk Utility application in Applications->Utilities), and restarting fixes this error.

The reality is that the DVD format is a very complicated one, and while Macs are about the best platforms around for this kind of work, it's occasionally a bit of a touchy proposition.

Have you ever been able to burn a DVD successfully on this machine - unlikely, but it could be an actual hardware problem, I suppose.

T. Harless
11-14-2005, 06:40
Thanks for the reply. I never get any kind of multiplexing error message. It just hangs up at stage 4. I am using iDVD 4.0.1. I am set to never sleep.

I do burn DVDs on a near daily basis on this machine but I use Toast.

I've read else where about fixing permissions. I'll try that now.

G23lover
11-15-2005, 23:47
Originally posted by T. Harless
Thanks for the reply. I never get any kind of multiplexing error message. It just hangs up at stage 4. I am using iDVD 4.0.1. I am set to never sleep.

I do burn DVDs on a near daily basis on this machine but I use Toast.

I've read else where about fixing permissions. I'll try that now.

Try Toast 6 Lite...its less calories and burns quicker than previous versions :O)