Need a new case [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a new case

Wayne02
11-15-2005, 22:43
One of my wifes co-workers gave our son his old pc, as he is building a new gaming system.

The build sheet says this,

2004 model
Alienware Area 51
Alienware full tower case silver predator SLV
ASUS P4C800-E deluxe motherboard
Pentium 4 extreme edition 3.2ghz 800mhz fsb
1 gig memory corsair pc3200ll xms
16x dvd-rom
Seagate barracuda 120gb 8mb cache ata hd
Soundblaster audigy 2 6.1
BFG geforce fx 5950 ultra 256mb
420 watt power supply
36" internal to external usb cable
Alienice intake blue fan
Silver alienhead with blue led... WTH is that??
some other stuff - modem, network card etc.

There is one little problem though... it needs a new case. Apparently these alien machines have some sort of locking case, and the previous owner needed to get a harddrive out before giving the system to my son. He couldn't find the keys to the case so he beat the heck out of the case in order to get the hd out. Now it looks like this:

http://waynef.smugmug.com/photos/44730660-M.jpg
http://waynef.smugmug.com/photos/44730659-M.jpg
http://waynef.smugmug.com/photos/44730655-M.jpg

I got the machine running ok. You have to touch two wires together to start it up. My son is currently using it but I really need to get a replacement case for it.

Do they make some sort of basic case that I can transfer the alien guts to? Something that would be a direct transfer? The other issue is I have no idea what connectors (usb, headphone etc.) were located in the front of this case before it was tore up. It almost looks like there may have been some fans in the front of the case? For example set-up says it has 5 usb ports, but I only see two or three on the back, would the others have been on the front of the unit?

BTW, this system has two "firewire" ports... what is that?

Thanks
Wayne

aspartz
11-16-2005, 04:57
There are countless companies out there that make cases. The MB you mention is a standard atx format, so almost any tower-ish case would work. You will lose the alien bells and whistles (like the head w/ the led) but the computer will still work.

FireWire is the latest high speed serial bus. Kinda like USB on steroids.

Personally, I use enilght brand cases. I always get a power supply. I do not know if you can get one w/o. Quick and dirty you could go to Computer Renaissance or whatever the local (used) parts dealer is called. Shipping on a case is significant.

ARS

jack19512
11-16-2005, 07:59
I like to order from NewEgg. They have a good selection of cases, one of which should suit you. Go to www.newegg.com and browse around.

David_G17
11-16-2005, 08:29
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=7&Submit=Property

link directly to the cases.

DO NOT GET A MICRO-ATX case. It will be too small for your motherboard.

I prefer Antec brand cases, but they are pricey. I'd avoid the < $50 cases b/c the tolerances seem to be low, and things don't always seem to fit.

eta: you may need the I/O panel from that old case for your new case. they seem to be motherboard-specific. It should just pop-out (it's a little panel on the back where keyboards, printers, etc. plug in).

David_G17
11-16-2005, 08:38
Originally posted by Wayne02
For example set-up says it has 5 usb ports, but I only see two or three on the back, would the others have been on the front of the unit?

BTW, this system has two "firewire" ports... what is that?

the extra USB ports probably were on the front. If you get a new case with front USB ports, it will include wires to attatch to your motherboard.

firewire is faster than USB 1.0 but slower than USB 2.0.
A lot of video cameras and such use firewire.