CAT 5 Shield vs. Unshielded??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CAT 5 Shield vs. Unshielded???

G23lover
11-15-2005, 23:45
I'm doing an install on some in-ear monitors for our musicians and I am suppose to use either Cat-5E or Cat-6 UNshielded cable. Problem is, the helpful morons at Home Depot nor LOWES does not know the difference between unshielded or shielded and neither do I. It doesnt say on the box that it is shielded or unshielded so how do I tell the difference???

Thanks in advance for the data

Rev. Craig

11-16-2005, 09:55
On the box/label it should be listed as either UTP or STP. Unsheiled or Sheilded Twisted Pair, most UTP will be cheap, less than 20 cents a foot, while STP is usually over 30 cents a foot.

To tell the difference, STP will have a wrapping of aluminum foil under the main PVC sheath, while UTP will just be a PVC sheath over the copper pairs.

jamskatelake
11-16-2005, 11:50
shielded helps protect the integrity of the signal from EMI and RFI. If I were doing your install, I'd go with shielded. my $.02

Why are you using network cable for sound?

dont know if you know this, but if you have to cross AC power with signal, try to cross at a 90 degree angle to reduce the above

kAr
11-17-2005, 03:07
Unless you like assembling annoying connectors, I'd suggest just getting longish patch cables from Frys or another large electronics retailer. I assume this in an Aviom sytem that we are talking about?

johnstrr
11-17-2005, 08:50
Yeah, I'd go sheilded... especially for audio. Side note: keep away from flouresent lights, they are big EM producers.

jamskatelake
11-17-2005, 16:01
I didn't know companies were using network cable for audio. I'd still use Shielded.

G23lover
11-17-2005, 18:06
Originally posted by kAr
Unless you like assembling annoying connectors, I'd suggest just getting longish patch cables from Frys or another large electronics retailer. I assume this in an Aviom sytem that we are talking about?

Yes, I'm putting in an aviom system, they say NOT to use shielded cat 5. Hence I was trying to find the difference. Thanks for the clarification guys. I knew I could count on you.

One last question. I am hooking up a shure in-ear monitor to the aviom distributor and can either use balanced 1/4" or XLR (that mic connection type) connections which one is better???? advantages or disadvantages of either????

Thanks again for the comments

Rev. Craig

kAr
11-18-2005, 01:45
Using the balanced XLR connections are almost always a better idea, but why are you using the shure in ear monitor stuff? Uness you are going wireless you should be able to just plug your Shure ear buds into the A-16 mixers.
http://www.aviom.com/images/Setups/monitors-serial-01.gif
There should be a headphone jack on the A-16 near the top right.
http://www.aviom.com/images/productphotos/A-16ii_Frontpop.jpg

As far as the shielded versus unshielded Cat5 goes, it won't work properly unless you ground the shield on one and only one end. I've been installing some in a theate retrofit, but that is a lot harsher envioronment than what you are looking at. For the Aviom, I wouldn't bother unless you were across the street from a commercial radio or television transmission tower. If you go that route your going to need several sizes of shrink tube and some other hardware. If you are running a long line of Cat5 from your front of house sound mix position, it might be worthwhile to put in all the extra effort if you are running the Cat5 parallel with power wires.