Why is US "high Speed " internet so slow. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why is US "high Speed " internet so slow.

MNNICK21
11-20-2005, 11:28
I have had a cable modem now for over six years now. In this time I have only noticed about a 40% increase in speed. Now this is fast enough for my needs, but it is still pathetic in terms of the technology out there.

In Japan and in throughout Asia speeds of 500mbs to 1GPS are common. I have a cousin who teaches English in Japan and he pays almost nothing for 500mbs, the college he works at is running at 5gbs. The cost of upgrading our infrastructure would be pretty negligible. Not doing so will have long reaching financial implications.

dport
11-20-2005, 15:04
My guess it has to do with the amount of infrastructure and government subsidies.

nognig
11-20-2005, 15:24
My understanding is the infrastructure is already there. There was an article a while ago on slashdot.org about how much "dark" fiber optics cable is in the US.

Back in the late 1990's, with the whole telcom boom, TONS of fiber optics cable was laid. Apparently, only 1/3 of it is in actual use.

I guess once demand for 500Mb cable is there, it will be provided.

How many people really need it for their home? If a business wants it, they've got it.

Remember that it costs a lot more to provide ultrahigh speed cable in the US than Japan. Think area.

NN

Washington,D.C.
11-20-2005, 21:16
I know a girl in Japan,in the second largest city.She has dial up internet service at home and pays a lot for it.

chevrofreak
11-22-2005, 16:59
Originally posted by nognig
There was an article a while ago on slashdot.org about how much "dark" fiber optics cable is in the US.

They laid 4 fiber cables infront of our farm, only 1 is in use.

srhoades
11-23-2005, 04:25
Along the lines of infrastructure, look at the size of the average Asian coutnry compared to the United States. Deploying anything country wide isn't that hard when your country is only a tenth of the size of ours.

nognig
11-23-2005, 05:41
Originally posted by srhoades
Along the lines of infrastructure, look at the size of the average Asian coutnry compared to the United States. Deploying anything country wide isn't that hard when your country is only a tenth of the size of ours.

Exactly! When you can run 100 miles of fiber optics and serve a customer base of 1,000,000 people it's going to be a lot cheaper than running 10,000 miles and only serving 500,000 customers.

NN

hd67xlch
11-23-2005, 05:59
Communications 4.8 megabits per second
Storage 583.1 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.8 seconds

This is in FL, and is about as fast as it gets here, plus I have several programs running as this test took place.

Washington,D.C.
11-26-2005, 15:46
The USA possesses more broadband Internet subscribers than any other country. However, the People's Repubic of China may surpass the U.S. as soon as the year 2007.

11-26-2005, 18:38
I'm running about 15.5mbs / 2.3mbs right now.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

seamus
11-27-2005, 07:24
I work for an operating telephone company and we are in the process of changing over all of our subs to fiber to the home setups. I will probably be retired before this is complete however because of the sheer amount of labor that will be required to provide everyone fiber connectivity. The gentleman who mentioned there were 4 fiber cables in front of his home may not be aware most companys are using fiber for their toll cables and eas junctions between coe's, those fibers may not be residential distribution fiber.

Washington,D.C.
11-27-2005, 10:28
A few years ago the phone company here installed new lines and juntion boxes.They said it provided enough lines for 5 lines to each house!!That's stupid.Even if a few do pay for 5 lines the lines aren't 5 for each house but can be split up any way among the houses.This is residental line!

Now we have fiber-optic lines available for internet and phone service and they claim TV later.I have ADSL now at 3Mbit/sec.The fiber optic internet is a few dollars more a month at 5Mbit/sec.Sounded good until I found out there it completely replaces all copper phone line to house never to replaced.It's a bit like cable TV in that they use a loophole that allows the phone company to not have to share their fiber-optic lines with other providers.

Once your line is switched to fiber-optic then you can only get long distance phone through whichever long distance provider with which they have a deal.You can never switch back to standard phone line at your house and must pay whatever price they choose.I seem to remember the cable TV companies doing the same thing.They increase their prices the max they are allowed each year.

I'll stay with ADSL and my standard phone line for now.

Blitzer
11-27-2005, 11:47
Originally posted by MNNICK21
I have had a cable modem now for over six years now. In this time I have only noticed about a 40% increase in speed. Now this is fast enough for my needs, but it is still pathetic in terms of the technology out there.

In Japan and in throughout Asia speeds of 500mbs to 1GPS are common. I have a cousin who teaches English in Japan and he pays almost nothing for 500mbs, the college he works at is running at 5gbs. The cost of upgrading our infrastructure would be pretty negligible. Not doing so will have long reaching financial implications.

Having had Cable MODEM and now a 3MB DSL I can saw from experience:

The Local "Warner" cable cmpany only installed 1/2 the hardware in the hub in Akron, Ohio and never kept up with the grouth. With the new demands put on the system = Performance sucks. Latency issues abound and they will fix them only after one pitches a fit and uses techno speak to imtimadate them into action.

The DSL is a better deal around here from my own experience.

epsylum
11-27-2005, 14:02
I got 4214kbs

It says thats faster than a T1.

As far as cable goes, I'll take it.

BTW here's where I tested and did it with everything I normally have running (actually more, I forgot I was running a scan with spybot at the time).

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

edited to add:

I used to have Comcast cable modem. That was REALLY fast. Now I have Brighthouse. If you look at the results for "all broadband" you will see cable for the most part is faster than DSL. These numbers are from actual tests.

MikeG22
11-27-2005, 16:36
Using the test above I'm getting this with my home cable internet: 10434.8 kbps

I'll take it over DSL anyday. FIOS would be friggen cool if they had that here.

As far as in Japan it's the whole population density thing. Having people all packed into huge skyscapers it's easy to run the lines in and with the buildings close together the amount of fiber that has to be run is tiny compared to the sprawled out subburbs and country that make up the majority of our country. That and the benifits won't even be noticed for alot of things as the servers that you are connecting to would have to be on the same huge pipes to even be able to send you whatever content that fast.

dport
11-27-2005, 17:45
Thanks for the CNET link.

I'm doing pretty good for cable modem split three ways over a wireless network.

epsylum
11-28-2005, 20:49
Originally posted by MikeG22
Using the test above I'm getting this with my home cable internet: 10434.8 kbps

I'll take it over DSL anyday. FIOS would be friggen cool if they had that here.

As far as in Japan it's the whole population density thing. Having people all packed into huge skyscapers it's easy to run the lines in and with the buildings close together the amount of fiber that has to be run is tiny compared to the sprawled out subburbs and country that make up the majority of our country. That and the benifits won't even be noticed for alot of things as the servers that you are connecting to would have to be on the same huge pipes to even be able to send you whatever content that fast.

Yeah I went straight from dial-up to cable about 5 years ago and never have been without it since.

My buddy went to DSL then to cable. He said DSL was alright, but cable smokes it and will never go back.

Cable rocks as far as broadband goes.

jhall
11-28-2005, 22:43
http://bb.clickatus.com/08hsj.jpg

JinVA
11-29-2005, 14:03
I'm doing 3600kbps with cox cable. It does get a bit slower sometimes.
I remember when a 28.8 modem was FAST

11-30-2005, 16:29
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
A few years ago the phone company here installed new lines and juntion boxes.They said it provided enough lines for 5 lines to each house!!That's stupid.Even if a few do pay for 5 lines the lines aren't 5 for each house but can be split up any way among the houses.This is residental line!

Now we have fiber-optic lines available for internet and phone service and they claim TV later. I have ADSL now at 3Mbit/sec.The fiber optic internet is a few dollars more a month at 5Mbit/sec.Sounded good until I found out there it completely replaces all copper phone line to house never to replaced.It's a bit like cable TV in that they use a loophole that allows the phone company to not have to share their fiber-optic lines with other providers.

Once your line is switched to fiber-optic then you can only get long distance phone through whichever long distance provider with which they have a deal. You can never switch back to standard phone line at your house and must pay whatever price they choose.I seem to remember the cable TV companies doing the same thing.They increase their prices the max they are allowed each year.

I'll stay with ADSL and my standard phone line for now. [/B]

We offer FiOS TV now, in Keller/Wylie TX and Herndon/Quanitco/Ft Belvoir VA. Soon to be rolled out to all fiber served areas in TX, plus cities with which we have franchise agreements in FL, NY, CA, etc.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHome/channels/FiOSTV/FiosTVHome.aspx

Once a subscriber switches to fiber they can still have any LD provider they want. If a subscriber wants to go back to copper, talk to a CLEC, maybe they'll run the lines; but Verizon won't re-run copper after they've paid to convert a location to fiber only. As far as pricing goes, dial tone is dial tone - doesn't matter if its copper or fiber, it still falls under FCC/PUC regs, which means no price gouging.

PS : Each optical terminal provides 4 telephone lines, internet in excess of 30Mb/s and TV/video (analog, digital, HD, IPTV, VOD, PPV).

seamus
12-01-2005, 10:47
We are doing all new housing divisions in our territory in fiber only and once we decided to fusion splice everything it's working great! (opticlips suck!) We are now selling video over IP to the vast majority of our territory also.