network question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : network question

antipop
11-20-2005, 20:26
okay, so i'm the next best thing to an actual IT guy here in my office, and i typically screw things up when i troubleshoot.

heres my problem: i've got the fastest dsl line my provider offers, 2 meg down 500k up (we dont have a lot of good wiring or hubs from our phone provider, those closer to the hub can get up to 4 meg down).

lately i've noticed my speeds drop down, waaaaay down. today i was measuring at 16k down (yes, slower than a dialup modem). the last tech i talked to said to try running the speed tests with a machine plugged directly into the router. so i did, and the test speed is what i want it to be at. tried it back and forth several times, and it appears that when my machines are plugged into my switch (or its a hub, i forget) from the patch panel, i get no good internet speed. the best i came up with was 1100k down.

the easiest answer is that its my switch/hub that is causing the problem. but i cant plug all my workstations into my router directly, nor do i wish to share that full 2 meg down bandwidth with my coworkers.

anyone else have any suggestions? i've done as many scans as possible to detect any spyware or viruses that may be hogging bandwidth, havent found anything yet though.

Glock Bob
11-20-2005, 20:39
When you say router do you mean the DSL modem? From what I can see you have a modem that's hooked to a router/hub. Since you get normal speed from your modem directly that should rule it out. That leaves a few things:

1. Another computer on the hub is using all the bandwidth. Perhaps it's infected with a virus or spyware/malware. Try disconnecting all but your computer from the hub and test your speed.

2. The hub is bad. See number 1.

3. Patch cables going to or from the hub may be bad. If 1 and 2 don't help try switching the patch cables around.

antipop
11-20-2005, 22:44
my modem goes to a router which goes to my hub.

going to try the cheapest solution first i think, replacing some of the patch cables.

Gallium
11-24-2005, 07:45
You can get a Netgear FS524 (24 port 10/100 switch) for about $120.

If you have the time, remove all the computers from your current hub/switch AT THE SWITCH.

With only your DSL modem connected to it, do the test again.

Actually, do the test from a machine connected directly to the modem in that instant. Use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Then test again thru the switch. Note your speed. If it's relatively the same speed, reconnect one machine AT THE SWITCH, then walk over to where the machine is, and connect your laptop here, run the test again.

Note the speed. If it's within acceptable margins, hook the machine up, and run the test again from the machine.

Repeat test, leave machine one connected, test connection two at the switch, note results, repeat test at end point, note results, repeat test on machine connected at end point, etc etc

Repeat for all machines.

'Drew