XP Home Freezes during boot into Safe Mode... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP Home Freezes during boot into Safe Mode...

DeadMansLife
11-21-2005, 16:37
I am trying to access Safe Mode to run AV and spyware programs. While booting into Safe Mode it freezes on the mup.sys file.

Google says it can be fixed if I do it in safe mode but I cannot get there.

Any ideas other than a full restore or target practice?

AZ-Boog
11-21-2005, 18:01
look here (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/31874/)

see if there's an answer in that thread.

DeadMansLife
11-22-2005, 12:54
I found that thread last and many like it. They all tell me to boot into Safe Mode, which I cannot because it freezes on that file. My pc boots fine otherwise.

Blitzer
11-22-2005, 14:00
You can try to search in the CAB files for your file in question; extract it to the desired location allowing the over-right when warned.

Reboot.

I have a rhetorical question.

Which AV and Spyware programs require one to run the PC in safe mode?

I.M.O.: It is time to switch to ZoneAlarmPro, PandaSoft, or Aluria for your protection needs as they run in protected mode just fine.

Just to level the playing field, I am a former COMPAQ maintenance manager with 30 years in electronics and PC service.

DeadMansLife
11-22-2005, 14:17
I am running Zone Alarm, AVG, and Spybot. I've been running these for about 6 months without a problem.

I read somewhere it is best to run these in safe mode.

Washington,D.C.
11-22-2005, 15:56
Some of the scanners can scan better in safe mode because they have a hard time scanning some programs that are in use in normal mode.The ones that I found that can scan deep when in normal mode are AntiVir and Ewido.They are both free.I get some false positives with AntiVir but overall detection is better than most.I think AVG has a boot scan at start up which can be switched off to boot into safe mode.Spybot had a resident scanner that messes up Windows 98 for me but I haven't had problems with it in XP.Adaware has more updates and finds a few more things but they both do find slightly different things.For resident protect I like SpywareBlaster 3.4.There is a new version of Zone Alarm released today.I like an older version Zone Alarm 4.5.594.000 http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1023_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe .It doesn't check for antivirus program and causes fewer conflicts.Try the new version or I recommend downloading the older version while it's still available for download.Even if you don't install it right away.

tarpleyg
11-24-2005, 18:59
Do you have Nero 6.x with InCD installed? If so, InCD needs to be upgraded. Go here:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

Look for:

Update-Package 3
InCD
Current version: 4.3.20.1
Release date: August 5th, 2005
Filesize: 6.45 MB (6765354 bytes)
MD5 Checksumme: eb2e754bbd213ca8861858b93dc39ef0

Good luck.

Greg

DeadMansLife
11-25-2005, 09:03
I don't have Nero.

I'm still trying to access Safe Mode. It is no longer an issue of scanning with AVG or Spybot, it is now a matter of why I can't.

Washington,D.C.
11-25-2005, 09:14
Run AVG in normal mode.Then try safe mode or uninstall AVG.It makes some changes to the boot area.If you choose "custom" install you can leave out the boot record area to be scanned by AVG.By default the standard install will install everything of AVG.I haven't had that problem in XP with AVG but I did wit Windows 98.Spybot did some funny things too but had nothing to do with the boot.I had to go back one version in Spybot in Windows 98 and I think the version I have in XP is a test version.Adaware seems to have more updates,funds more things and causes fewer problems.There is now a new version of Zone Alarm.I think it came out yesterday or the day before.It fixes some problems.