Will my Toshiba laptob keep up with today's technology? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will my Toshiba laptob keep up with today's technology?

thaddeus
11-21-2005, 21:19
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS and I was wondering if it could work on the internet? It is a Pentium 90 and has Win95 and a modem card inserted in it for dial-up. I THINK its biggest weakness is that it only has four 4 megs of RAM. That has always been its weakness but I could buy some more if that is all it needs.

I just need to do some basic internet surfing and word processing. Is there any hope to make this computer function on today's internet or is it a lost cause?

thanks!

MrsKitty
11-21-2005, 21:53
Max out the RAM and it should work for that :)

Are you planning on adding a wireless card? Don't know if Win95 will support that but I doubt it will....

You plan on connecting via dialup? Or broadband?

Delta
11-22-2005, 08:07
Increase your RAM to 128m and you should be OK. If your system will allow it? Check the SIM slots to see if you can.

go check these guys

www.tigerdirect.com
They have some good deals on ram

B

thaddeus
11-22-2005, 15:18
Thanks for the tips. When I bought the thing laptop RAM was $100 a meg! ;P Yeah, $400 for a 4 meg card. Now it is affordable enough that maybe it is worth maxing out.

I have a card in it for internet with a jack for the phone cord that retracts from the card, so I was just going to use that for dialup.

I don't know how to tell how much RAM it can take but I will look at it and see. IIRC it has two RAM slots to take a max of two RAM upgrades if that means anything, but I have not looked at it in several years so my memory could be completely wrong.

NetNinja
11-22-2005, 15:44
get rid of that boat anchor, it won't be worth it to upgrade it.

Sm0key369
11-22-2005, 15:49
Pull!

biblefreak
11-23-2005, 14:13
You can get a cheap laptop on ebay that will be a lot better than trying to deal with that thing. By now the battery is probably toast, and it would cost more than the laptop is worth IF you can find a battery!

If you look on ebay, look for the power sellers that have the buyer protection and you should be ok. About 6 months ago I bought a P3 512MB Ram T-23 IBM with DVD player for $350 shipped. It has worked great.

Good Luck.

Justin

David_G17
11-23-2005, 19:30
Originally posted by thaddeus

I don't know how to tell how much RAM it can take but I will look at it and see. IIRC it has two RAM slots to take a max of two RAM upgrades if that means anything, but I have not looked at it in several years so my memory could be completely wrong.

is it a 405 or 4005?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Toshiba%2BSatellite&mfr=Toshiba&tabid=AM&model=Satellite+4005+CDS&submit=Go