Cheap Big Hard Drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Big Hard Drive

M2 Carbine
11-22-2005, 09:39
I'm using a lot of hard drive space due to converting old VHS tapes and new video to MPEG files. I just filled up a 200 gig HD.

In searching for another big HD I ran across this 250 gig HD for $70, with rebates (I hate messing with rebates but for $60;Q ).
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1265028&sku=thd-250a&CMP=ILC-FOT03

Now after my ordering this HD, someone can tell me of a sale with a cheaper price.;f

I bought a Seagate HD last year. I liked the Seagate format/partition software. It also worked on other HD brands.

David N.
11-22-2005, 11:30
Don't know if they ever have them that cheap or not, but BestBuy and Circuit City often offer Seagates pretty cheap after rebates. CC has a 160GB now for $40 after rebate, but its in store only. Not much good for people like me who live 100 miles from the nearest CC.

By the way, if you're converting that many tapes and need that much storage, why not use a DVD burner?

M2 Carbine
11-22-2005, 13:27
Originally posted by David N.
CC.

By the way, if you're converting that many tapes and need that much storage, why not use a DVD burner?

I do some, but it would take 50+ DVD R disks to hold what a big HD will hold, plus the MPEG files range from very small to very large.
Then there's the problem of editing parts of different MPEG files together to end up with a finished DVD.
It's pretty convenient having all the MPEG files of a given subject on one big external HD.

It seems the bigger the storage capacity of the hardware, the more stuff that can be found to fill it.;f

David N.
11-22-2005, 15:47
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
It seems the bigger the storage capacity of the hardware, the more stuff that can be found to fill it.;f

I remember when my roommate in college said there was no way I would ever fill the 4.3 GB hard drive in my computer. A couple years later...

Gallium
11-24-2005, 06:48
Originally posted by David N.
I remember when my roommate in college said there was no way I would ever fill the 4.3 GB hard drive in my computer. A couple years later...

Oh yeah??

My 1st drive was a 20MB drive, which I doublespaced to 40MB.

I was the real deal back then.

A few years later I paid $2000 for 16MB of RAM for a server...

'Drew

Blitzer
11-24-2005, 07:03
TigerDirect is OK. www.Buy.com and www.driveguys.com are good resources too.

Which operating system are you using, partioning software isn't needed for some WIN98 boxes and I have not see a Windows 2000, Windows XP that needs the stuff?

Ever consider using Firewire or USB hard drive, plug and chug away? If your PC has USB 2.0 or Firewire ports there is no need to open the case or tinker with hardware.

USB 1.X may not be so smooth if you try to use an USB 2.0 device.

:cool: ;)

M2 Carbine
11-24-2005, 09:09
Originally posted by Blitzer
TigerDirect is OK. www.Buy.com and www.driveguys.com are good resources too.

Which operating system are you using, partioning software isn't needed for some WIN98 boxes and I have not see a Windows 2000, Windows XP that needs the stuff?

Ever consider using Firewire or USB hard drive, plug and chug away? If your PC has USB 2.0 or Firewire ports there is no need to open the case or tinker with hardware.

USB 1.X may not be so smooth if you try to use an USB 2.0 device.

:cool: ;)

I've bought from "Buy" and I think from "drive guys" to.

I've got fairly decent speed computers running Win XP(home).

I use, along with the internal HD's, a couple external "ACOM" hard drives and a number of plug in "Mobile Media Hard Drive Trays" and three other no name external HD cases. They all work good except the MMHDT is a little slow because it is in a CD slot but slower speed isn't much of a problem in what I'm doing.

I use mostly USB2 for the external drives.

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 for capturing, editing and making MPG files or DVD CD's. I've made some decent (amateurish) shooting and music flying DVD's using PS8.

Froggy_131
11-24-2005, 17:03
Tomorrow and Saturday only, Staples will have the Maxtor 200G internal hard drive for $69.99 (less $40.00 easy rebate) = $29.99 plus tax where applicable. This is good in-store or online (free shipping online). I know I'm in for at least a couple. YMMV!

M2 Carbine
11-24-2005, 17:45
Originally posted by Froggy_131
Tomorrow and Saturday only, Staples will have the Maxtor 200G internal hard drive for $69.99 (less $40.00 easy rebate) = $29.99 plus tax where applicable. This is good in-store or online (free shipping online). I know I'm in for at least a couple. YMMV!

Heck of a price.
Here it says just tomorrow 6AM-10AM only.
http://www.salescircular.com/tx/computer/hdiskp.shtml

That's online to??