Wrestling for Kids [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling for Kids

Scott Lowther
11-24-2005, 16:10
Hey Guys,

I tried posting this on the suitable for children thread, but I wasnt able to for some reason. I personally think that wrestling is a great sport/martial art to get your child started in. As I stated in my intro, I have my own martial arts gym, which offers kids bjj classes, but I chose to sign my kid up for youth wrestling instead. I know that sounds crazy. My reasons why I think wrestling is great for kids

1. It is everywhere. Most areas have wrestling programs. Some areas do not have martial arts program close by.

2. It is relatively inexpensive. The team my son is on cost me $45.00 for the whole season.

3. It is great exercise for kids.

4. It gets kids out there with their peers who they see everyday at school

5. It is an effective martial art. Yes, I said martial art. If you don't believe wrestling to be an MA your a kidding yourself.

6. It teaches discipline, motivation and focus just like other MA programs do, but from a different approach

7. It is a "live" sport.

8. If your child takes to it, it might provide a scholarship one day.

9. It builds a strong athletic foundation for other sports

10. It is the best of both worlds. It is a one on one sport with a team aspect as well.

Roundeyesamurai
11-24-2005, 16:51
Originally posted by Scott Lowther
It is the best of both worlds. It is a one on one sport with a team aspect as well.

This is an especially good point, since one of the necessities of child development is socialization- learning to function collectively, something which (unfortunately) martial arts in general aren't as adept at teaching.

Scott Lowther
11-25-2005, 07:46
"This is an especially good point, since one of the necessities of child development is socialization- learning to function collectively, something which (unfortunately) martial arts in general aren't as adept at teaching." -Roundeye Samurai

This is so true. Like I said, this is my 4 year olds first year. Socialization was one of the main reasons I got him started in wrestling. I know from my own experiences when I first started martial arts, the schoold I was at was very, dare I say cultish. I knew I didnt want that for my son.

My father and I went to watch him practice last week.As we were sitting there I told my dad that I was so proud of him just because he had the guts to go into a loud wrestling room with forty other kids and give it a go. I know when I was four, I would not have stepped foot near that place.

bluemeanie
11-26-2005, 12:46
I love where I live, but we do get gipped on some things. Arkansas and Mississipi are the only two states with no wrestling programs in the public high schools. I have heard that some local athletic clubs teach it, along with swimming, which we also didn't get to do. My Goju-ryu classes have been my only exposure, starting at age 33!

We do have some Judo around though.