Anyone here????????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here?????????

martho
11-25-2005, 22:01
Ok,
So I have learned no one here
1. Contests
2. Chases DX
3. participated in field day

I have learned that some people
1. Play on the birds
2. Used to play on 10m when it was in better shape.
3. Operate mobile

My next question:

If you do not wish to provide your call, I understand as I wouldnt want everyone to know my exact address. However, I would like to see what type of license classes we have here.

I have been an extra since 2001, an advanced since 1996, licensed in 1995.

You????

R. Emmelman
11-26-2005, 13:01
WI9NDY - Extra
First licensed Novice April 1978 (WD9CYI)
Upgraded to Technician July 1978
Upgraded General February 1979
Changed call 2004 (WI9NDY)
Upgraded Extra 2005

Operate local VHF/UHF
HF mostly Air Force MARS (AFA1CY)
Try to participate December 10 Meter Contest

Station:

Icom IC718 MARS modified
Versa-tuner III
75' Longwire
Sure 444 Microphone
KAM Multimode TNC with custom developed interface/packet/RTTY program
Homebrew PC sound card interface
Homebrew PC/Rig interface with custom developed interface program

VHF - Yaesu FT2600M mobile
VHF/UHF Alinco DJ596 MK-II
Homebrew PC/VHF Interface with custom developed interface/packet/RTTY program

10-Meter mobile - Radio Shack HTX-10

Oh, and yes I do have a stright key.

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY
in INDY

lomfs24
11-26-2005, 18:23
W7DOA

Tech license since 05/02/05
Originally on 5/2 I got my tech license as KE7DTO then on 6/3 I changed callsigns to W7DOA with help from the vanity callsign system.

Right now the rigs I have are a Kenwood TM-D700A mobile. A Kenwood TH-D7A. Those are my two primary radios. I have a Yeasu VX-5R that has been kind of retired. I have a Yeasu 8500, 2400 and a 2500. The 2500 is mounted in a vehicle that has a blown motor at the moment so it doesn't get used a whole lot.

lomfs24
11-26-2005, 18:26
I also forgot to mention that there will be VE testing here in December. I am going to shoot for my general license in December. I would like to get an HF rig but I have looked at them and it seems that they start at about $1000. And I am having a bit of a hard time choking down that kind of money for a rig. I guess when the time comes I will watch eBay and come up with an older rig for less money.

I saw some on HRO that are like $15,000. That's some serious hobby money there.

burfurd
11-26-2005, 20:06
K4WQK Extra

1st licensed in 1958 or '59 as KN4WQK and upgraded through the years to Extra around 1990 plus or minus a few. Presently inactive.

burfurd

R. Emmelman
11-27-2005, 06:17
Originally posted by lomfs24
I have looked at them and it seems that they start at about $1000. And I am having a bit of a hard time choking down that kind of money for a rig. I guess when the time comes I will watch eBay and come up with an older rig for less money.

Icom IC-718 100 watt all bands $589.95
Keep an eye out these have rebates off and on. I got my IC-718 for $499.00

http://www.icomamerica.com/images/product/718.jpg

martho
11-27-2005, 10:15
I would suggest an IC 746. The radio has a great receiver, and has many fantastic options. Memory keyer, twin pass band tuning, auto tuner, and 100 watts on 6m AND 2m.

The are about $650 - $700 in the used market and are hands down the best radio in that price class.

KB4IFS
11-27-2005, 11:34
KB4IFS

Licensed since 1983. Extra Class

SSB
CW
RTTY
AMTOR
Packet
DX
Russian Birds
MM Atlantic & Med.
MARS
VHF, 6M, 2M, 10M
KG4 Cuba
Pentagon
32st Naval Base Club Station, San Diego CA
W1AW

Presently Inactive

king catfish
11-30-2005, 10:50
KB3HKB general; ham since 2000 or 2001, don't remember.

I currently have only a Yaesu FT-817 backpacker with a tiny portable paddle CW key and a Kenwood HF rig (I forget the model number and don't want to go upstairs to my desk to look at the radio). I use a 10m/20m homemade dipole in my attic for HF. I'm not on very much anymore, but when I am I mostly just listen. I don't have a power source for the Kenwood, so it's not hooked up (just haven't gotten around to it yet, I'm really busy the last couple of years).

I used to run mobile but don't have a rig in my car anymore. I hope to have one soon.

I have been to a couple of field days and did some public service when I was a member of the local club, but, again, I've been busy.

Yaezu
11-30-2005, 19:09
General N4C.. ham since 1981

2 element, 5 band Quad at 70'
FT-857
1.5 KW Ameritron AMP and AT
TM-271A W/ 5 element Beam
G26;f

VOB
11-30-2005, 20:59
, extra
i do more shooting than hamming these days

R. Emmelman
12-01-2005, 05:28
Originally posted by VOB
xxxxxx, extra
i do more shooting than hamming these days

That's easy...

Handheld on the left hip!

Glock on the right hip!

Rich WI9NDY :)

martho
12-01-2005, 12:27
2 element, 5 band Quad at 70'
FT-857
1.5 KW Ameritron AMP and AT
TM-271A W/ 5 element Beam

How does the 857 do with adjacent strong signals on CW?

I am curious as the 706 is horrible in this area, even with a 500hz filter.

Quads are fantastic antennas.

Which Ameritron? AL1500 AL1200?

I run a Drake L7, which is about 1200w on 160 - 10 including WARC.

uhlawpup
12-01-2005, 13:51
First licensed as a Novice in December, 1964

General upgrade March, 1965

Advanced upgrade 1982.

Extra upgrade 1986, or thereabouts.

Also hold British Full amateur license and US 2nd Class Radiotelegraph with Radar endorsement, neither of which I use very much.

Monitor 2 meters from my office.

Yaezu
12-01-2005, 18:49
My Ft-857 does very good. I Run the AL 1200 and my Bird says 1.1Kw PEP. To answer your question about being an active Ham and glocker...Well look at my user name for GT. YAEZU;z

R. Emmelman
12-02-2005, 07:09
Originally posted by uhlawpup
First licensed as a Novice in December, 1964

General upgrade March, 1965

Advanced upgrade 1982.

Extra upgrade 1986, or thereabouts.

Also hold British Full amateur license and US 2nd Class Radiotelegraph with Radar endorsement, neither of which I use very much.

Monitor 2 meters from my office.

Is the radiotelegraph license still being issued? I heard that it is no longer required for shipboard operators.

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY

uhlawpup
12-02-2005, 07:16
I don't think it's requried anymore, but they keep renewing it for me every 5 years. It was a real pain in the sitdown to get, and I hope if they do away with it, they'll do like they did with my General Radiotelephone Certificate and make it lifetime.

I look at it just like I look at my British license. It's more of an achievment than anything else.

The funny story is about the radar endorsement. I got it on my General Radiotelephone, and it carried over to the 2T, but the way I got it is funny.

I had no intention of taking the test, and worked real hard studying for General Radiotelephone exam. I finished the test early, and asked the FCC examiner if I could go ahead and take the radar test just to see what it was like. She said, "Sure!" And the irony is that I made a better score on the radar exam than I did on the radiotelephone test.

That was around 20 years ago, and I've still never set eyes on a radar set. Go figure...

R. Emmelman
12-02-2005, 08:05
Are you from Britain? If not how did you get a British license?

Rich

EUPHER49
12-02-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
Are you from Britain? If not how did you get a British license?

Rich

Reciprocal licensing agreements...Brits can get a US call here if they want...I think they do have to test though.

1) Operation in the US by Foreign Amateurs

Foreign Amateurs who wish to operate in the US may do so if the country of which they are a citizen and amateur licensee has entered into a bilateral or multilateral reciprocal operating agreement with the US. Such agreements can include a reciprocal licensing agreement, CEPT license, or IARP permit. No additional permit is required -- simply bring your original license, issued by your home country when you visit the US; and be sure to identify your station while operating by the US call district identifier (e.g., followed by your non-US call sign.W3/G1ABC).

If your country of Citizenship and Amateur Licensing is not named in the lists of countries that have such agreements with the US, then no operating agreement is in effect between the US and that country--and operation is not possible in the US based on your home license. Should you wish to seek such an agreement between your home country and the US for the future, you may want to contact your national Amateur Radio society to request that they contact the responsible government official to request such an agreement with the US.

Operation in the US by any person is possible if you seek a US amateur license. Any person, other than a representative of a foreign government, can do so. Once a person is prepared to take the US license examinations, licensing is possible in as little as a few days to a week. A US mailing address is required for application purposes. Information about US licensing is available elsewhere on the Web site. If a US license is held, no other reciprocal operating authority may be used.

2) Operation Outside the US by FCC Licensed Amateurs

FCC-licensed amateur operation outside the US by US citizens is possible in certain areas in one or more ways:

CEPT

European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) radio-amateur license -- allows US Amateurs to travel to and operate from most European countries without obtaining an additional licensee or permit. For a US citizens to operate an amateur station in a CEPT country, certain requirements of the CEPT European Radio Committee (ERC) must be met for participation by non-CEPT Administrations (the US is a Non-CEPT administration who has obtained permission to allow its licensees the privilege of operation from CEPT countries). Under the CEPT Agreement, to activate operating authority, a traveler would have to carry credentials in English, French and German that the person, if a US citizen, and if a Commission-authorized amateur operator, is entitled to certain amateur station operating privileges in the specific countries that have implemented the CEPT Agreement. Under the CEPT agreement, US Amateurs need to bring three things when traveling to a participating CEPT country: 1) Bring their original US license; 2) Bring proof of US citizenship (generally in the form of a Passport); and 3) Bring a copy of the FCC's Public Notice (this notice contains its information in three languages, English, French and German) which details what US Amateurs need to consider, and bring with them, when traveling to a CEPT country. [Note: While FCC does not state that your original hardcopy license is a document you must carry in CEPT areas, the actual CEPT agreement the US agreed to indicates that US Amateurs will possess such a document; so be sure to bring your FCC-issued original hardcopy license document when you travel and operate in CEPT areas].

Classes of license/operation. For US amateurs, there are two classes of CEPT. Class 1 requires knowledge of the international Morse code and carries all operating privileges (Technician (with the 5 WPM code) , General, Advanced or Extra class US licensees qualify for Class 1). For foreign amateurs, Class 1 is equivalent to our current Amateur Extra Class. Class 2 does not require knowledge of telegraphy and carries all operating privileges above 30 MHz. It is, therefore, equivalent to our current (codeless) Technician Class operator license. There is no equivalent Class description for the US Novice license, therefore the US Novice license is not eligible.
See also:

CEPT Information for US Amateurs
List of CEPT Countries and Prefixes
FCC Public Notice: Amateur Service Operation in CEPT Countries (Adobe PDF File)
IARP

International Amateur Radio Permit --- For operation in certain countries of the Americas -- allows US amateurs to operate without seeking a special license or permit to enter and operate from that country other than the IARP. For a US citizen to operate an amateur station in a CITEL country, an IARP is necessary. According to the CITEL agreement, the IARP may be issued by a member-society of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)--for the US, the IARU member society is the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). The permit describes its authority in four different languages. The ARRL offers this service to US citizens for their use when they travel to CITEL countries. The ARRL provides this service on a non-discriminatory basis, at no expense to the United States Government. An IARP application is available here (Adobe PDF file).

Classes of license/operation. For US Amateurs, there are two classes of IARPs. Class 1 requires knowledge of the international Morse code and carries all operating privileges (Technician Plus, General, Advanced or Extra class US licensees qualify for Class 1). For foreign amateurs, Class 1 is equivalent to our current Amateur Extra Class. Class 2 does not require knowledge of telegraphy and carries all operating privileges above 30 MHz. It is, therefore, equivalent to our current (codeless) Technician Class operator license. There is no equivalent Class description for the US Novice license, therefore the US Novice license is not eligible.

Participating IARP Countries: Amateurs can find a list of the countries which accept an IARP at http://www.citel.oas.org/iarp.asp. They are: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Panama, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

See also:

IARP Application for US amateurs (Adobe PDF file)

greenlead
12-05-2005, 20:29
I'm a Technician class operator. I mostly operate 2M FM.

lhuff
12-07-2005, 17:23
WA4CQZ here. Licensed as WN4CQZ (Novice) in 1971 and upgraded to WA4CQZ in 1972. I don't remember when I upgraded to Extra, but it's gone through a renewal or two. My wife (AC4JQ), some friends and I gave exams every month in Marietta, GA for around 10 years. My favorite part of the hobby was building my own equipment and converting old commercial gear when 2 meters went FM. You haven't lived until you've used a pair of twisted wires and snips to tune a circuit (gimmick) :)

I never was much of a talker and other interests have rendered me nearly inactive, but I do tune around a bit while camping. My newest rig is an IC-735 so you can tell how "behind the curve" I've become.

R. Emmelman
12-08-2005, 05:00
Welcome

As far as old commercial gear, I have had GE-Prog line, Motorola 88D, Motorola P33 pack unit (just sold last year to a collector in CA), PRC-10 military (sold last year), and various other commercial and military. I currently own a Motorola T51GGV - VHF Low and a Motorola T41 - VHF Low (will go to 25mHz FM) and various old VHF/UHF handhelds. I decided to started devasting myself of my collection last year and let the serious collectors restore them.

73 de WI9NDY
Rich in INDY

Calizonia
12-17-2005, 10:23
I got my ticket in '94 when i was living in Southern Ca. I passed the Tech Plus portion of the test. I was out of the hobby for a while and moved to Phoenix, AZ. I have recently got back into the hobby. I am studying for the General ticket, since I already have the code I just have to take the written.

Kenwood TH-78A
Yaesu 8800

sacluded
12-19-2005, 03:37
N6CTM

I'm studying for my general also. I have to do the code too though. Became a no-code tech in 92. Just bought an FT-897 for a real good price on ebay, now trying to get the license to use it.

N8WNB
01-04-2006, 09:55
N8WNB General,ham since 1993.

Ivory Kid
01-04-2006, 20:32
Originally posted by martho
I would like to see what type of license classes we have here.

I have been an extra since 2001, an advanced since 1996, licensed in 1995.

You????

Got my Technician license in 2003. Upgraded to General in 2004.

I don't do any DXing since I don't have an HF rig. I spend most of my time on 2m and 440 repeaters. I am a member of my work's emergency response team, where we hold weekly nets and assist in evacuation drills (and the real thing, if the need ever arises).

N1PJ
01-04-2006, 21:30
Hello everyone.

N1PJ Extra class.

I used to chase DX when my antenna was up. It has fallen down so I haven't been doing any DX lately. I am putting it up again soon.

I was first licensed back in 2000, my original call was KB1HSK. My name nickname is PJ so I chose N1PJ as a vanity when I passed my extra.

Ham GMRS
N1PJ / WPVY902

salvo
01-07-2006, 20:03
Greetings fellow Hams!
Tech 08/02
General 01/03
Extra 09/04

Love to DX - ssb & cw
ECOMM - RACES, ARES, ARRL - Official Emergency Station
National Weather Service - Skywarn Spotter
ARRL - Extra Class Accredited Volinteer Examiner

Base Station:
Icom 756 Pro II
Icom V8000
LDG AT-11MP Autotuner
Kent paddle
Home brew "Windom" offset dipole, 10 through 80 meters
Diamond A504HB 6 meter Yagi
Diamond X510MA Dual band base, 2m + 440

Mobile:
Icom 706MIIG
High Sierra HS-1800 Pro, 6 through 80 meters
Diamond SG7900, 2m + 440
HT Kenwood TH-F6 w/ Diamond CR320A 2m + 220 + 440

MAGAZAGU
02-05-2006, 21:57
My call is WA9BYR, advanced class license. I have been a ham since 1961 and can tell you that sunspot "bottoms" reduce activity. We are at or near the bottom now and the bands show minimum acitivity. When Europe and the Middle East are again workable mobile with a whip antenna (give it two years) things will improve. However shortwave as a hobby will never be the cutting edge technology it represented even twenty years ago. On the brighter side the best equipment ever marketed is now available, inflation adjusted, at its lowest price ever.

People don't need to fly fish to obtain food but the hobby remains with a very loyal following. Bow hunters love their sport although others consider it "unnecessary". Some form of ham radio will be here for a long time.

lomfs24
02-06-2006, 07:09
Originally posted by MAGAZAGU
People don't need to fly fish to obtain food but the hobby remains with a very loyal following. Bow hunters love their sport although others consider it "unnecessary".

Hey, watch it, I resemble both of those remarks. ;f

MAGAZAGU
02-06-2006, 17:55
Originally posted by lomfs24
Hey, watch it, I resemble both of those remarks. ;f

I don't bow hunt but love to fly fish. Unfortunately there is not much opportunity here in Houston. Where do you fish in Montana? I bet you can find plenty of trout streams nearby. To us it's a major expedition.

uhlawpup
02-07-2006, 07:37
I never considered fly fishing. Must take a real tiny hook.

And do you cook them or throw them back?

(Sorry...Couldn't resist. Carry on.)

lomfs24
02-07-2006, 08:36
Originally posted by MAGAZAGU
I don't bow hunt but love to fly fish. Unfortunately there is not much opportunity here in Houston. Where do you fish in Montana? I bet you can find plenty of trout streams nearby. To us it's a major expedition. Yeah, we have plenty of everything. I live within 20 minutes of the headwaters of the Missouri river. So I have the Gallatin River, Madison River and the Jefferson River within a few minutes. The Yellowstone River is about 30 minutes away the other direction. But personally, I like fishing the hundreds of little streams that feed those rivers. The biggest brown trout I have ever caught was caught out of a stream that you could step across without getting your feet wet.

As far as how you fly fish... well, it's not as tough as it looks. You put something stinky on your hook, wave it around a little and then let it set. Pretty soon you will have a bunch around your hook. Then you just reel them in. ;f I throw them back cause there isn't much to eat on a fly anyway.

PoiDog
02-10-2006, 19:08
Licensed in 1982 as a Novice. Upgraded in late '82 to Tech Plus.

Now a General, studying for the Extra Class.

I prefer HF operation and shortwave broadcasts, but have been known to operate 2 meters occasionally.

I'm using a Yaesu FT840 which works pretty well. Antenna is a GAP Challenger DX vertical. Listens great, but I won't be breaking any pileups with it and 100 watts.