Two Dumb Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two Dumb Questions

PeterJasonMN
11-26-2005, 17:59
1-Where can a fella buy just a couple shares of stock? I've got a couple companies locally I want to buy stock in (at most 5 shares per) but don't know if I can go there or whatnot. Also, running joke with my dad is he loves his brandy 7's so much he wishes he owned stock in 7Up (Cadbury Schweppes actually, but yeah) so I want to get him one share for X-mas.

2-In January I should be getting a couple extra bucks from the financial aid fairy. Can you buy a t-bill at a bank, or do you have to go through a broker?

DBradD
12-15-2005, 21:41
I don't believe in single stock investing for individuals, so can't help you with #1.

As for #2, I suppose you could buy into a mutual fund. Not sure the logic - borrow money to invest? That seems counterproductive considering that your investment return is probably not much, if any, more than your interest rate. When you consider that your investment return is speculative and your interest rate is guaranteed, it makes even less sense. If I had "extra dough" from a student loan, I'd either give it back to avoid increased student loan debt or use it to pay off some other debt.

Oh well. Not exactly helpful but it's sure more than anybody else posted in this dead forum!!!

Edit: oops, I assumed it was from a loan but you just said "financial aid" - sorry - perhaps there's still something helpful in this post...

DBD

JMF30
12-25-2005, 23:12
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
1-Where can a fella buy just a couple shares of stock? I've got a couple companies locally I want to buy stock in (at most 5 shares per) but don't know if I can go there or whatnot. Also, running joke with my dad is he loves his brandy 7's so much he wishes he owned stock in 7Up (Cadbury Schweppes actually, but yeah) so I want to get him one share for X-mas.

http://www.oneshare.com/
http://www.scripophily.com/
http://www.sharebuilder.com/

You can also try searching google for "stock certificate" -

2-In January I should be getting a couple extra bucks from the financial aid fairy. Can you buy a t-bill at a bank, or do you have to go through a broker?

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/

uscmas412
12-27-2005, 12:09
1) I would go to sharebuilder.com. I use their service and it works well for me. It only costs $4 per transaction ($16 to sell, though). It is great for those who want to buy and hold shares over a period of time. There are no other account minimums or "hidden" fees.

2)Using your excess financial aid for a treasury note would be worthless. The current rates are not high enough to offset the interest on your student loan, unless you have a subsidized stafford loan. Either way, you would be much better off in investing directly in the stock market. The annualized return since 1929 is something close to 10% (versus 5% for a treasury note). Pick an index tracking stock that pays high dividends and invest somewhere between $25-100 per month, you'll slowly be able to see your money grow. Other options include money market accounts from places like capital one, paypal, or sharebuilder. The interest rates on these accounts is usually around 4% and interest is paid quarterly. Or you could do what I'm going to do with my extra student loan money...buy an AR-15!

JMF30
12-27-2005, 12:32
Originally posted by uscmas412

2)Using your excess financial aid for a treasury note would be worthless. ... /SNIP/ ... Pick an index tracking stock ... /SNIP/ ... Or you could do what I'm going to do with my extra student loan money...buy an AR-15!

In addition to your student loan money, you can also use a cash advance from your credit card(s) to open a Forex or Futures account - maybe play the seasonal spreads in the bean market. Alternatively, you could invest in scratch tickets.

;) ;) ;a ;a ;a ;) ;)

Sorry, I just woke up and I had to... ;f Put the money in a money market account like uscmas412 said earlier. www.emigrantdirect.com is paying out 4% right now - other rates can be found on www.bankrate.com.

Good luck!

bunkerbuster
12-28-2005, 14:19
There is no such question as dumb investment question.

If i were u, i would buy in a bigger bulk. Even cheap comission runs around $8 per trade.

Most of the financial institute has a FI advisors as well. You should talk to one of those Fixed income advisors and get more stuff in detail.

GOOD LUCK! :)

major
01-12-2006, 07:42
Don't waste your time buying a single share. Will cost you more in the long run.

geminicricket
02-07-2006, 21:45
PeterJasonMN

1. A fellow can buy 1 or 2 shares of any equity he wants if he has the money in an account at a broker. There are many brokers, some discount, some high priced. One share of BRKA is $87,700.00, so let's not sneeze at "one share"

2. You can buy treasury offerings, as said earlier, from treasurydirect. If you must do so, at least consider the Series I bonds.

I can't recommend highly enough Investors Business Daily.
Go to www.investors.com and get a free trial.

bunkerbuster
02-11-2006, 01:16
Originally posted by geminicricket
PeterJasonMN

1. A fellow can buy 1 or 2 shares of any equity he wants if he has the money in an account at a broker. There are many brokers, some discount, some high priced. One share of BRKA is $87,700.00, so let's not sneeze at "one share"

2. You can buy treasury offerings, as said earlier, from treasurydirect. If you must do so, at least consider the Series I bonds.

I can't recommend highly enough Investors Business Daily.
Go to www.investors.com and get a free trial.

yeah, if he buys BRKa, it is differnt story. I think they trade 100-200 share per day thesedays.