Off mode in 5 seconds..power supply? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Off mode in 5 seconds..power supply?

Kanos
11-27-2005, 22:54
When i play games or do something that pushes my computer such as google earth, or CounterStrike:source, my computer crashes and says OFF MODE IN 5 SECONDS, then it turns off and i have to restart the computer. The computer does not toatally shut off..the tower is still rining but the moniotr is like frozen, i tried turning the monitor back on when it shut off and it said OFF MODE IN 5 seonds again. The monitor will not turn on until i restart the computer. I re-installed the drivers and still no go. A while back when i talked about this problem a Computer repairman said it was the powersupply, he wasnt sure but that what he suggested. Beofre i go putting the money down for this i would like to get some second opinions on what i could do.

Here are my PC specifications:
-AMD XP 2.0 gig
-RADEON 9800 pro 128mb video card
-140gig SADA(sp) hard drive
-MSI KT6V chipset
-ViewSonic E90fb monitor
-L and C power supply 350watt

any help appreciated...

Washington,D.C.
11-27-2005, 23:14
Make sure everything is clean and check all connections and plugs.

epsylum
11-27-2005, 23:47
That Radeon and the MSI board is the issue.

I have the same setup in my other computer (ATI 9800 pro and KT4V board) and it does the exact same thing.

POS!!!

I hate to tell you but I doubt you will be able to fix it as ATI has shunned the 9800 series and don't even acknowledge thier existance on thier website. I gave up and just bought another computer.

I will never buy another ATI card ever. nVidia only from now on.

Do a search on the net about it. It's pretty well documented that series sucked.

Power has nothing to do with it. I have a 550 watt power supply on mine. Monitor has nothing to do with it also, I have my E90fb on my new computer and an older Compaq monitor on the "problem child" now. It still does it.

BTW mine didn't do that new, it would just minimize any directX game and I had to keep clicking the left mouse button (don't ask me why, it just worked) to get full screen to stick. But, it would play UT 2003 and BF 1942 at full power just fine. Then I DLed a new "updated" driver for the Radeon. It never worked right since. So it has to be the video card.

Washington,D.C.
11-28-2005, 04:24
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800pro/index.html

pyblood
11-28-2005, 10:16
I am thinking that it may be the power supply too. I have a 9800Pro also, and if yours is like mine, it has a molex connector on it also. I would recommend replacing the power supply too. Try to buy a pretty good one like an Antec TruePower, OCZ, Thermaltake, Enermax, etc. Donít get a cheap one, because youíll either continue to have the same problems, or really mess up your system.

Washington,D.C.
11-28-2005, 11:54
I used to like Antec power supplies but I found that few of them are well filtered although they can handle some load.I found Enermax to be some of the best working power supplies and use them now.

Kanos
11-28-2005, 16:11
I havent seen to much that says anything about the 9800pro being bad, but i think i rather try a new powersupply before trying a new graphics card and chip set.

AS45-70
11-28-2005, 18:38
Doesnt sound like the PSU but having a spare PSU helps diagnose these sort of issues.

Maybe your PC is just overheating. Have you checked to see that all case fans and the PSU fans are running ? If you have filters on your fans they may need to be cleaned also. Run MBM5 and check your CPU and case temps. Everest is also a good system monitor for temps and fan speeds.

It maybe time to upgrade that MB to PCIe...a nice 6800gt Ultra or a 7800gt would fit the bill :) Of course that PSU you have wouldnt cut the mustard with either of those cards.

keep us posted this is an interesting problem

AS

Kanos
11-28-2005, 19:47
I used to have an overheating problem with my other computer, this isnt that problem. I also know this because if i go into a program like google earth and try to zoom in really fast after 5 seconds it shuts off.

I dont see why i would need a new graphics card...i know this one is perfectly capable of running the programs that i run. Plus the money is just to great. I think ill get a new power supply and see what happneed from there.

AS45-70
11-28-2005, 19:52
Trial and error, PSU swap sounds like a good start.

The New vid card comment was a great solution if your Bill Gates kid and you $ is plentiful. It was ment more as a joke, they are super pricey...but hey we can all dream :)

AS

Kanos
11-28-2005, 20:27
OO, i gotcha now, sry im slow. But i guess il try it and see what happens.

epsylum
11-28-2005, 21:44
Originally posted by Kanos
I havent seen to much that says anything about the 9800pro being bad, but i think i rather try a new powersupply before trying a new graphics card and chip set.

DOH!!

Mine's a 9700 Pro.

Sorry, nevermind

Kanos
11-29-2005, 13:12
no problem;)