Just a cursor nothing else [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just a cursor nothing else

AS45-70
11-29-2005, 19:25
The PC boots and shows a black background and the mouse cursor, nothing else. No task bar, no icons.

Booting in safe mode i get everything back to normal.

I am at a loss, just where does the issue lie ?

Nothing has been added or removed from the PC, no HW or SW changes, its just not loading a desk top other than the mouse cursor.

what is the culprit here ( besides my lack of PC diagnostics )

AS

Washington,D.C.
11-29-2005, 19:46
In safe mode uninstall your video/grphicas driver.Some newer versions of the Nvidia drivers that are included in Windows update cause this problem with older Nvidia cards.It sure sounds like a video driver problem.If you have a TNT or Gforce,2,3 or 4 card don't use a driver newer than 4x.xx.Windows update has 5x.xx something that is suppose to work with fx5200 cards and newer.If you have another video card check the driver.

AS45-70
11-29-2005, 19:54
Its my roomates PC and she may have updated here driver thru auto updates. Thx i will check it out after i eat.

AS

AS45-70
11-29-2005, 20:58
Well that didnt go as planned.

I was checking the connections ont he back of the PC. The finger type screws that keep the vid card connection tight was loose so i tightened it. Secs later the overwhelming smell of elec fire filled my nose.

I pulled all the parts out of the PC and i think its the vid card but i see no burn evidence on it, nor the PSU nor the MB. I think its fromt he Vid card due to its somewhat burn smell.

Good thing i have a extra PC i dont want to buy old technology to fix hers. She gets an upgrade to a 2.4 P4 that was my old gaming pc.

I dont know hwat happen but i know that smell, its never good. Rather than risk using it i will just give her the extra pc.

thx for the help, good thing this happended while i was home.

AS

ERASER
11-30-2005, 17:21
Not to hijack the thread, but I have an older NVidia card (G-Force 256 GTS) and ever since I had to reformat and reinstall XP Pro about a month ago, NVidia drivers don't "see" my video card. I just get a message that the installation program doesn't find any compatable hardware on my computer, so I'm sure that Washington, DC is right.

pyblood
11-30-2005, 22:02
I had a customer call me with that same problem. He just shut down his computer one day and when he powered it back on he got the same thing. He could get into safe mode, but not boot normally. After about half and hour on the phone, I just gave up. I thought that I would have to do an OS repair. I got the bright idea to call him back and we diagnosed the problem as a bad/dead floppy drive. It could be another piece of hardware. I would disconnect everything from the motherboard and PC except for a keyboard and the HD. See if the PC will boot then. If it does, start adding back hardware one piece at a time until it won’t boot. After it doesn’t boot, you’ll have the culprit.

I would also like to add, that I had a PC that also did the same thing. I did the same thing that I suggested to you. It drove me crazy. I took the PC upstairs to my office and it would boot. I took it back downstairs and it would not boot. I took it back upstairs and it booted right on up. I took it back down stairs and it would not boot. I disconnected the keyboard from the PC before taking it back upstairs for the last time and it continued it boot. The problem was the darn keyboard that I was using. I replaced the keyboard and it booted on up.

AS45-70
11-30-2005, 22:10
Shes been using this PC for a few months with no issues. She even used it early that morning and it was fine.

I didnt get a chance to pull parts it fried. After removing all the parts the only part that really sticks out as the culprit is the vid card. Why... becuase it has the strongest burn smell that any of the other parts. it was an old 1.7 Ghz Pentium, no loss. I have an extra P4 2.4 Ghz in the closet shes using it now.

I will figure it out later and keep t around in case i need a word processor for work, it would be perfect.

AS