Bog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bog

racine
11-30-2005, 10:08
Was this forum created in the states or in the PI??? If it started here stateside, why is it allowed to become cryptic to everyone else besides Filipinos? What I mean is why use local dialects exlcusively to the puzzlement of all the other glockers. We would like to see how things are done elsewhere but please avoid the exclusion of the majority who are members also. If it was created in the PI then it should be exclusively in Tagalog or all the other dialects. We are all part of one family-glock. Is it too much to ask that we communicate in one common language? Feel free to enlighten me...
:soap:

doctabako
11-30-2005, 12:10
Greetings!

This is the subforum heading

Band of Glockers
Forum for Glock Talk Members of Filipino, Filipino/American, or any nationality that would like to talk about Glocks, Shooting, and all related topics. This forum is based on an informal club that has sprung up, in the Philippines

Regarding the use of foreign language, you might be interested in this thread (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380203) which has been made a sticky. Although the issue has not been resolved to its full conclusion, self moderation is being practiced in the interim.

As much as possible we do try to post in straight English but we do get carried away at times and post in Filipino for full effect as some things like local humor and punchlines lose their impact when translated.

If you need a translation on any of the discussions/posts in this subforum feel free to ask away, any of the BOGs would be more than happy to oblige. Cheers :)

revo
11-30-2005, 22:43
Originally posted by racine
Was this forum created in the states or in the PI??? If it started here stateside, why is it allowed to become cryptic to everyone else besides Filipinos? What I mean is why use local dialects exlcusively to the puzzlement of all the other glockers. We would like to see how things are done elsewhere but please avoid the exclusion of the majority who are members also. If it was created in the PI then it should be exclusively in Tagalog or all the other dialects. We are all part of one family-glock. Is it too much to ask that we communicate in one common language? Feel free to enlighten me...
:soap:

My friend,

The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands.

That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946.

Since then, we have been called RP - Republika ng Pilipinas.

Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-fledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.

Be accurate in your postings.

Maybe you will be taken seriously.

racine
12-02-2005, 23:19
"...The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands.
That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946.
Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-fledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.
Maybe you will be taken seriously..."

"My friend,"
I no longer reside in the Islands. I reside here in the USA, Estados Unidos, you know, America? Many stateside expats from the " PI " still refer to the RP as the PI. RP also stands for the ... Republic of the Philippines. And yes, Tagalog is NOT a dialect but all the others ARE(exlcude Spanish, English, Latin). Why are you arguing semantics? I posted here to try and emphasize on our similarities, NOT our differences in geography. If you understood the intent of my post maybe I can take YOU seriously... BTW, you can put your historical answer somewhere else, it's not the solution to the question. Is that accurate enough for you?
;b

horge
12-02-2005, 23:47
Hi racine,

Welcome to the BoG!
DocT has already posted, but I'll try to reiterate:

A forum set aside for Filipinos and Filipino Americans by its existence creates
a distinction between those with a familiarity with Filipino culture, and those without.
Since English cannot always serve the nuances of Filipino culture, sentiment and humor,
it simply cannot be avoided that Tagalog/Filipino sees substantial use here.

It's worked before (although with all the old threads purged you may be unaware of it),
so if you or any non-Filipino speaker wants a translation, then just ask.
BoGs are happy to oblige.

DocT's already pointed to that sticky thread.

If you're calling attention to too little English-use, then thanks for the heads-up.
If you're looking to re-open an unproductive debate, well...
not my thing anymore.

:)

Eye Cutter
12-02-2005, 23:49
Revo:

My friend,

The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands. Also, Tagalog is not a mere dialect, it is a full-pledged and distinct language, like Ilonggo, Cebuano and Ilokano.

jeeez! are we going to start on this "PI" thing again?

That was the name during the American colonial regime which ended in June 12, 1946. Since then, we have been called RP - Republika ng Pilipinas.

The USA granted Phil. independence on July 4, 1946, and not June 12, 1946, w/c is now celebrated as Philippine-American Friendship Day.

Maybe you will be taken seriously

my, my... talk about posting accurately... we're really having a bad day, huh? come on, lighten up! not everybody is an Einstein!

racine
12-03-2005, 00:14
Horge,
Thanks for the heads up. I can follow the lingo fine, I just think it sets a bad precedent for other glockers/non-BOGs to misconstrue and develop a misunderstanding from some posters as to the real nature of most of the BOGs. My only point is that we should post here to communicate, not to isolate.
Happy Holidays

Froggy_131
12-03-2005, 12:09
Originally posted by doctabako
As much as possible we do try to post in straight English but we do get carried away at times and post in Filipino for full effect as some things like local humor and punchlines lose their impact when translated.

In some cases, so the non-Pilipino speaking members wouldn't understand what you are posting, like the "Istorya ng isang ___" that was locked by Eric.

If you need a translation on any of the discussions/posts in this subforum feel free to ask away, any of the BOGs would be more than happy to oblige. Cheers :)

On the other hand, if you post it in a Language that everyone understands, you don't have to translate it, do you? Hence not wasting bandwith from more posts trying to translate and explain the original post.... and less posts/threads of this nature.

Edited to add: I am fluent in Tagalog (or Pilipino, or whatever you call the language, some of your refer it to both). So, it doesn't matter, it's just if you got nothing to hide and you want the other 99% of this board to understand what you're talking about......

doctabako
12-03-2005, 13:11
Originally posted by Froggy_131
In some cases, so the non-Pilipino speaking members wouldn't understand what you are posting, like the "Istorya ng isang ___" that was locked by Eric.

Well, locking that thread is the prerogative of this forums owner and that's that. The thread you were referring to was more of a political commentary on the state of our country(the Philippines) and was in no way a veiled attempt to hide something sinister. While some may find the language to be offensive as it was written in passionate prose, some would think that the essay was emotionally stirring and tugged at the root causes of the problems facing the nation today.

On the other hand, if you post it in a Language that everyone understands, you don't have to translate it, do you? Hence not wasting bandwith from more posts trying to translate and explain the original post.... and less posts/threads of this nature.

Edited to add: I am fluent in Tagalog (or Pilipino, or whatever you call the language, some of your refer it to both). So, it doesn't matter, it's just if you got nothing to hide and you want the other 99% of this board to understand what you're talking about......

Until, the site's owner puts his foot down and bans the use of other languages altogether, the use of Filipino or Pilipino(the national language), Tagalog, Cebuano or Ilonggo will continue. As to wasting bandwidth, that's subjective, as I could think of a lot of things posted in other sections of this forum that falls into that category. Translating for someone really interested in learning something isn't too bad.

As Horge aptly stated, and I quote:

a distinction between those with a familiarity with Filipino culture, and those without.
Since English cannot always serve the nuances of Filipino culture, sentiment and humor,

racine
12-03-2005, 17:06
The thread you were referring to was more of a political commentary on the state of our country(the Philippines) and was in no way a veiled attempt to hide something sinister. While some may find the language to be offensive as it was written in passionate prose, some would think that the essay was emotionally stirring and tugged at the root causes of the problems facing the nation today.
Until, the site's owner puts his foot down and bans the use of other languages altogether, the use of Filipino or Pilipino(the national language), Tagalog, Cebuano or Ilonggo will continue.
As Horge aptly stated, and I quote:

This is NOT a political forum, never has been, never will be. It is a shooting forum dedicated to Glocks from the Philippine shores. Place your political woes on other forums. We don't discuss Republican or Democratic points of view here, that goes on the Political Issues forum. Posting in a foreign tongue can breed misunderstanding or worse suspicions, despite it's intentions. We would like to understand your points of view but we can't if it's cryptic. I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply...

Froggy_131
12-03-2005, 18:06
I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply... Is the Pope Protestant? Standby for incoming. Many people have requested and complained about this subject before but Eric seems to give his friends from across the ocean more leeway than any other groups here - if they are out of line, they get "asked" to clean it up. If other members are out of line, they get "told, warned and even banned". Just my observation!

PMMA97
12-03-2005, 19:40
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain --- and most fools do.

---Benjamin Franklin

i_am_infinity
12-03-2005, 20:53
Guys in DocT's first post he already stated that it is "...A forum set aside for Filipinos and Filipino Americans..." but not limited to it, if there is something that you don't understand would it hurt to ask? i don't think so, and i don't find anything wrong with asking, which i do on other foreign forums. with all due respect, Hostility and personal attacks is not needed i believe that we can all co-exist and enjoy this forum without animosity and antagonistic attitudes.

Having said that Eric has been kind enough to allow the BOG to be what it is and in my humble opinion let's just all try to live with what it really is...

Thank you!!

antediluvianist
12-03-2005, 22:03
It's Eric's right to set the parameters , and he has done so. He permits the use of Pilipino. End of story.

vega
12-03-2005, 23:22
How is Washington State nowadays? I heard it's snowing.

vega

mikol
12-03-2005, 23:42
Originally posted by vega
How is Washington State nowadays? I heard it's snowing.

vega
hi vega,
buti pa kayo mi snow dyaan, dito sa Saudi ang init parin kahit december na.
oppssss.... sori forgot that i have to speak in english pala.
you guys are so lucky back there 'coz you can play hockey in the snow during winter, here in KSA it's summer the whole year round. you can even cook eggs & hotdogs on the top of the hood of your car. ;g

vega
12-03-2005, 23:48
I am in Cali, there's no snow where I am. I'm just asking one of the members who responded to this thread.

vega

mikol
12-04-2005, 00:05
I am in Cali, there's no snow where I am. I'm just asking one of the members who responded to this thread.

vega
opsss..sorry again my bad.;f
btw vega, there's alot of norinco FA models back there in Cali, have you tried firing their semi-auto shooties(M12-1Z model)?(sorry guys off topic ;f )

toxic
12-04-2005, 00:26
Its pointless..inuman na lang tayo.

In other forum, what they did was ..there is an automatic translation botton for non-english speaking patron..( Erick Grauffels' french corner,Guga's Brazilain or italian or spanish(not sure) Sauls German and spanish translation.. what if we put up a poll ..perhaps Eric would do something just to prevent this never ending debate/argument or what-cha-ma-call-it.

For those who cant understand Filipino language or pretends not to understand the language just ignore the thread/club/forum ..Simple lang...thats what i do whenever i see a non English or non Filipino forum. I dont want my neurons to be reduced by trying to find out whats going on or to raise my Blood pressure to ask for translation.
i just think if it wasnt in english, the reason is the people or members of that particullar forum can relate and understand each other with their own language..BUT This is just my opinion.

Here read this again :
Band of Glockers

horge
12-04-2005, 00:38
Hi Froggy_131, and hello again racine :)

I don't know why (or even if) we are the only unmoderated subforum on GT.
I don't know why (or even if) we are allowed more latitude with regard to topics.
I don't know why we are allowed to post in Pilipino
I especially don't know why the above have to be causes for concern.

I do know that we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to misconstrued intent
and interpersonal animosity, despite our frequent discussion
of 'sensitive' issues like politics and personal beliefs.

I do know we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to helping fellow
gunners out via information, advice or far more substantive gestures.

I do know that if Pilipino or Tagalog were banned, I would probably
just set up a new BoG website and forum that allowed it, not out of spite
(God, no!), but out of real need. It would be a sorry change though.

I do know that you, racine, understand Pilipino.
I do know that you, Froggy_131, understand Pilipino.
Ditto riddler, binLurking and nearly all who have made a debative, serious issue
of this 'linguistic barrier'.

A hypothetically-serious issue, that is.
Because in the past three years of lurking, then registering, then posting,
I can recall only 3 non-Pilipino speakers who had an actual problem of it.
They all asked for, and promptly got, translations of all
Pilipino posts in the pertinent threads, to their stated satisfaction.

As ante cuts quite cleanly: It's Eric's right to set the parameters, and he has done so. He permits the use of Pilipino. End of story.
I do hope to God someone doesn't yell out that GT is an American website,
because the last time I checked, the United States of America
hadn't banned non-English public communication.

Not even out of a hypothetical danger of exclusion, of miscontruances
or of some imagined engenderment of inequality.

I'd mentioned that this sort of 'discussion' is not my cuppa,
but am expressing respect for your volunteered sentiments
(and your valuable time spent posting) through a considered response.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours!
horge

mikol
12-04-2005, 00:54
Originally posted by horge
Hi Froggy_131, and hello again racine :)

I don't know why (or even if) we are the only unmoderated subforum on GT.
I don't know why (or even if) we are allowed more latitude with regard to topics.
I don't know why we are allowed to post in Pilipino
I especially don't know why the above have to be causes for concern.

I do know that we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to misconstrued intent
and interpersonal animosity, despite our frequent discussion
of 'sensitive' issues like politics and personal beliefs.

I do know we don't suffer by comparison to the other,
all-English, moderated GT subforums, when it comes to helping fellow
gunners out via information, advice or far more substantive gestures.

I do know that if Pilipino or Tagalog were banned, I would probably
just set up a new BoG website and forum that allowed it, not out of spite
(God, no!), but out of real need. It would be a sorry change though.

I do know that you, racine, understand Pilipino.
I do know that you, Froggy_131, understand Pilipino.
Ditto riddler, binLurking and nearly all who have made a debative, serious issue
of this 'linguistic barrier'.

A hypothetically-serious issue, that is.
Because in the past three years of lurking, then registering, then posting,
I can recall only 3 non-Pilipino speakers who had an actual problem of it.
They all asked for, and promptly got, translations of all
Pilipino posts in the pertinent threads, to their stated satisfaction.

As ante cuts quite cleanly:
I do hope to God someone doesn't yell out that GT is an American website,
because the last time I checked, the United States of America
didn't ban non-English public communication.

Not even out of a hypothetical danger of exclusion, of miscontruances
or of some imagined engenderment of inequality.

I'd mentioned that this sort of 'discussion' is not my cuppa,
but am expressing respect for your volunteered sentiments
(and your valuable time spent posting) through a considered response.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours!
horge
;W ;W ;W ^c

atmarcella
12-04-2005, 03:20
Posting in a foreign tongue can breed misunderstanding or worse suspicions, despite it's intentions. We would like to understand your points of view but we can't if it's cryptic. I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply...

if someone becomes suspicious he/she can ask for a translation, it has happened many times before and we have gladly obliged:)

anyway i think we need a group hug here~hg ~hg ~hg ~hg ~hg

fwb601
12-04-2005, 05:32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by horge
Hi racine,

Welcome to the BoG!
DocT has already posted, but I'll try to reiterate:

it [b]simply cannot be avoided that Tagalog/Filipino sees substantial use here.

It's worked before (although with all the old threads purged you may be unaware of it),
so if you or any non-Filipino speaker wants a translation, then just ask.
BoGs are happy to oblige.

DocT's already pointed to that sticky thread.

If you're calling attention to too little English-use, then thanks for the heads-up.
If you're looking to re-open an unproductive debate, well...
not my thing anymore.

horge,
I appoint you to be the lawyer of the Band Of Glockers.I'm sure that none of us shall object to this.
THANKS.

jmy

horge
12-04-2005, 05:58
jmy,

A lawyer? For this bunch?
Erhmmm, ...I agree that the BoG should seek some kind of professional help.
Maybe docbarako and Boy P. can help out with any prescriptions.

;)

Allegra
12-04-2005, 07:48
In fairness, I miss these threads hehe
It's like trash talking outside the range
Dont take it personally , it's all fun

New_comer
12-04-2005, 09:35
This is the Internet... designed to be all-encompassing and omnipresent, a permanent highway of information.

There's no such thing as "barriers" or "isolation" here, especially language. To those who need translation, you could use this:

http://www.omnilang.com/

Just took me 10 seconds to Google search its existence... ;)

A bit crude, but could be of great use to those who prefer "self-help"... like me when I visit many foreign language sites. So there's no need to get excited...

Peace to all, and advance Merry Christmas! :)

vega
12-04-2005, 10:54
This is NOT a political forum, never has been, never will be. It is a shooting forum dedicated to Glocks from the Philippine shores. Place your political woes on other forums. We don't discuss Republican or Democratic points of view here, that goes on the Political Issues forum. Posting in a foreign tongue can breed misunderstanding or worse suspicions, despite it's intentions. We would like to understand your points of view but we can't if it's cryptic. I hope this can be taken constructively as that is all it is meant to imply...
A BOG member wants to discuss the political situation of the country with other BOG members so he posted it in the BOG forum. Do you think BOGs will be able to see his thread if he puts it in Political Issues under Miscellany?

Another BOG wants to know where he can hunt in the Philippines, should he post it under Hunting, Fishing & Camping?

Since I can only discuss Glocks from Philippine shores here we might end up not posting at all. Most members have sold their Glocks and some didn't even own one. Right now I don't have a Glock and I don't have much issues with it, does that mean I cannot post anymore?

vega

vega
12-04-2005, 11:04
Ow, one more thing. I have a wheelgun back in the PI (if revo would excuse me;) ) which I want to sell, the appropriate place to post it is in Firearm Listing, don't you think I have a better chance of selling it here in BOGs forum?

I could go on and on but I hope this would clear things up with you. And if you have read Eric's sticky, you will see that he allows the use of foreign language, so lighten up, you can post in English.;)

vega

doctabako
12-04-2005, 11:12
^c

vega
12-04-2005, 11:27
doc - alas dos y medya ng umaga dyan na gising ka pa? Nasa porn site ka na naman ano?;)

err...excuse me for posting in cryptic language. Let me re-post it in foreign language.
doc - it's 2:30 am there and you're still awake? You're browsing the porn site again what?;)

Parang mali?

vega

doctabako
12-04-2005, 12:36
doc - alas dos y medya ng umaga dyan na gising ka pa? Nasa porn site ka na naman ano?;)

err...excuse me for posting in cryptic language. Let me re-post it in foreign language.
doc - it's 2:30 am there and you're still awake? You're browsing the porn site again what?;)

Parang mali?

vega

;z I'm an insomniac and I usually sleep at 4am.:)
btw, have you tried the cigars?

vega
12-04-2005, 18:08
btw, have you tried the cigars?
How dare you mentioned cigars on a shooting forum dedicated to Glock from the Philippine shores?;)
My parents will come next year, pabili muna siguro ako kay Vicara. He's in PI now. este RP.

vega

BTW, I got a real C cigar, an acquintance gave it to me. Haven't tried it yet. According to him it cost like $50.

vega

revo
12-04-2005, 18:53
"My friend,"
I no longer reside in the Islands. I reside here in the USA, Estados Unidos, you know, America? Many stateside expats from the " PI " still refer to the RP as the PI. RP also stands for the ... Republic of the Philippines. And yes, Tagalog is NOT a dialect but all the others ARE(exlcude Spanish, English, Latin). Why are you arguing semantics? I posted here to try and emphasize on our similarities, NOT our differences in geography. If you understood the intent of my post maybe I can take YOU seriously... BTW, you can put your historical answer somewhere else, it's not the solution to the question. Is that accurate enough for you?
;b [/B][/QUOTE]

Try to make it habit to refer to the Philippines using its true name and not it's colonial name.

Give some respect to those whose blood and sacrifice has gone into earning the right to bear that name.

Let's show that Pinoys in the US are not uneducated.

revo
san francisco, CA

Alexii
12-04-2005, 21:45
How dare you mentioned cigars on a shooting forum dedicated to Glock from the Philippine shores?;)

;z Good one, vega. ;c

cznayr
12-04-2005, 22:00
Vega,

Real C as in Cuban Cigar? Had those but expired na ata, nabulok lang sa lalagyanan... naeexpire ba yun? Legal ba sa USofA ang cuban cigar or sa particular places lang like Miami?

Change topic na, mainit na eh :cool:

darwin25
12-04-2005, 22:43
Originally posted by New_comer
This is the Internet... designed to be all-encompassing and omnipresent, a permanent highway of information.

There's no such thing as "barriers" or "isolation" here, especially language. To those who need translation, you could use this:

http://www.omnilang.com/

Just took me 10 seconds to Google search its existence... ;)

A bit crude, but could be of great use to those who prefer "self-help"... like me when I visit many foreign language sites. So there's no need to get excited...

Peace to all, and advance Merry Christmas! :)

Tried using the omnilang in Allexi's post in tagalog. Here it is.

;f ;f
Ganito cause of evil tidings
SAPOL Ni Jarius Bondoc
The Temple STAR Now

KUMIRIRING the phone nang quick daytime....

"Hello, Master Carlos? Si Arnaldo po it, 'yung overseer coconut toward tenement-bakasyunan coconut"

"oh, Mr. Arnaldo, you spade. Ano't napatawag you? Have problem ba?

"Um, napatawag ant po me seem abisuhan fabric na late the nurse coconut parrot."

"'Yung parrot kong si Pikoy, extinct? 'Yung aggressor toward bird show?

"Opo, Master Carlos, 'yun na nga po."

"Putris ... fritter The extent yet naman of nagastos ko toward bird 'yon. Hay, life! Teka, what nga ba the ikinamatay her?"

"E, eat po greed of decayed na meat...."

"decayed na meat? And who namang scamp the nagpakain toward its of decayed na meat?"

"W- Devoid po. Nanginain po he of meat of isang extinct na steed"

"extinct na steed? Anong extinct na steed, Mr Arnaldo?"

"E, 'yun pudgy mga thoroughbred horses coconut, Sir. Late po greed all they toward tired, ignominy of cart of fluid"

"Nasisiraan you na ba of rung? Anong cart of tubbbiiiiggggg?"

"'Yun pong pinampatay yam of sunog."

"god ko po! Anong sunog naman 'yang pinagsasasabi your?"

"'Yun pong approximately fulfil fulfill toward tenement coconut.... Profit po 'yung isang nakasinding candle, already nagliyab 'yung curtain and spry na dissipate the apoy...."

what Puuut.... E, have electricity naman there toward tenement-bakasyunan, a. Seem where 'yung candle?"

"seem toward ridge po."

what Kaninong ridge?

"toward mamma n'yo po, Sir. Instantly greed he arrive herein nu'ng isang night, devoid kaabi- summons. Surpass hatinggabi na. Akala ko po thief. Hermaphrodite ko."

~1 ~1 ~rf ~rf ~rf ~ts ~ts;f ;f

cznayr
12-04-2005, 23:09
;z

mukhang lalong mapapagulo ang mga non-tagalog speakers diyan...

pareng Darwin, talgang napagtripan mong subukan ah ;f

darwin25
12-04-2005, 23:33
Ow, one more thing. I have a wheelgun back in the PI (if revo would excuse me;) ) which I want to sell, the appropriate place to post it is in Firearm Listing, don't you think I have a better chance of selling it here in BOGs forum?

vega

What revolver is that sir? Pls PM me for details:)

New_comer
12-05-2005, 00:05
Originally posted by darwin25
Tried using the omnilang in Allexi's post in tagalog. Here it is.

;f ;f
Ganito cause of evil tidings
SAPOL Ni Jarius Bondoc
The Temple STAR Now

KUMIRIRING the phone nang quick daytime....

"Hello, Master Carlos? Si Arnaldo po it, 'yung overseer coconut toward tenement-bakasyunan coconut"

"oh, Mr. Arnaldo, you spade. Ano't napatawag you? Have problem ba?

"Um, napatawag ant po me seem abisuhan fabric na late the nurse coconut parrot."

"'Yung parrot kong si Pikoy, extinct? 'Yung aggressor toward bird show?

"Opo, Master Carlos, 'yun na nga po."

"Putris ... fritter The extent yet naman of nagastos ko toward bird 'yon. Hay, life! Teka, what nga ba the ikinamatay her?"

"E, eat po greed of decayed na meat...."

"decayed na meat? And who namang scamp the nagpakain toward its of decayed na meat?"

"W- Devoid po. Nanginain po he of meat of isang extinct na steed"

"extinct na steed? Anong extinct na steed, Mr Arnaldo?"

"E, 'yun pudgy mga thoroughbred horses coconut, Sir. Late po greed all they toward tired, ignominy of cart of fluid"

"Nasisiraan you na ba of rung? Anong cart of tubbbiiiiggggg?"

"'Yun pong pinampatay yam of sunog."

"god ko po! Anong sunog naman 'yang pinagsasasabi your?"

"'Yun pong approximately fulfil fulfill toward tenement coconut.... Profit po 'yung isang nakasinding candle, already nagliyab 'yung curtain and spry na dissipate the apoy...."

what Puuut.... E, have electricity naman there toward tenement-bakasyunan, a. Seem where 'yung candle?"

"seem toward ridge po."

what Kaninong ridge?

"toward mamma n'yo po, Sir. Instantly greed he arrive herein nu'ng isang night, devoid kaabi- summons. Surpass hatinggabi na. Akala ko po thief. Hermaphrodite ko."

~1 ~1 ~rf ~rf ~rf ~ts ~ts;f ;f See the goodwill it brings? ;f ;f ;f

Epek agad! :cool:

doctabako
12-05-2005, 03:08
My parents will come next year, pabili muna siguro ako kay Vicara. He's in PI now. este RP.

vega

BTW, I got a real C cigar, an acquintance gave it to me. Haven't tried it yet. According to him it cost like $50.

vega

;f
Please post a review of that C cigar when you've tried it. At 50 bucks that's probably one of the premium brands(what is the brand?:)). A Cohiba Esplendido costs around 2,700 php(roughly 50 dollars) here, and that is one of the best there is. A Montecristo No. 2 costs around 1,400 php and it's one of the old time favorite premium cigars due to its full bodied taste and strong finish.

cznayr
IIRC(someone correct me if I'm wrong), because of the U.S. embargo, Cuban cigars are illegal to sell anywhere in the states but returning tourists are I think allowed to bring in a few boxes(can't remember how many) for personal use but some enterprising persons still try to sell it.:)

btoler
12-05-2005, 04:02
I wish somebody wold send me a cuban cigar. Their almost impossible to find in the states.

horge
12-05-2005, 04:16
...and I wish someone would send me some V-8. It's almost impossible to find in the Philippines.
(I'm too lazy to blender my own)

Hi, btoler! ;j

atmarcella
12-05-2005, 04:42
damn...you guys are killing me LOL`l `l `l ~1 ~1 ~1 ~rf ~rf ~rf

gundog
12-05-2005, 05:01
was watching discovery channel the other day and they were doing cuban cigars. most cuban cigars sold in the us is maede in the dominican republic using cuban tabacco and cuban workers. they claim its the only way for cigar enthusiast to enjoy cuban cigars. ;Q

doctabako
12-05-2005, 05:57
Originally posted by gundog
was watching discovery channel the other day and they were doing cuban cigars. most cuban cigars sold in the us is maede in the dominican republic using cuban tabacco and cuban workers. they claim its the only way for cigar enthusiast to enjoy cuban cigars. ;Q

All harvested Cuban tobacco is made into cigars right there in Cuba. It is strictly regulated and nothing goes out raw(they leave the country as cigars).
American cigar enthusiasts can just cross the border to Canada to enjoy cuban cigars or enjoy them in other places like Hong Kong(the new premium cigar capital)or anywhere the embargo isn't observed. There are talks of the U.S. lifting the embargo but I don't think its anytime soon.

The Dominican republic makes cigars(mostly the fillers and binders) from Cuban seed or Piloto Cubano planted right in the Dominican Republic as their soil and climate approximates(but doesn't equal) that of the Pinar del Rio region in Cuba. Other components such as wrappers and binders are imported from other countries like Honduras, Indonesia, Cameroon etc. but not from Cuba. The original workers were mostly exiled cuban rollers who fled Cuba during the revolution.
Although it's the same seed Dominicans generally have a milder flavor than Cubans but their quality and craftsmanship is more or less the same. If you look at the latest cigar aficionado magazine ratings the Dominican cigars are right up there with the Cubans.

Cuban cigars are different because all parts of the cigar namely the wrapper, binder and filler are grown there. Their soil also imparts that unique flavor and assault on your soft palate(called the "finish") that you don't get with other cigars.

On a related note. Philippine Isabela tobacco is also Cuban seed brought in by Spain during colonial times but is also milder in flavor. :) Sorry for the long post excited ako pag cigars ang pinaguusapan ;f

gundog
12-05-2005, 06:01
great docT. i9 really enjoy reading the posting here, there is so much to learn :cool:

atmarcella
12-05-2005, 08:33
gundog tanong ko lang tungkol sa aso naman ito, kasi usong-uso ang pitbull ngayon dito sa san pablo, i see pipol walking their pitbulls all the time, in very public places with lots of pipol, and i noticed that this dog although very small is very very strong, kasi yung lumalakad sa kanila na mga tao halos hindi cla mapigilan, di ba delikado ito? what if mabitiwan nila tapos umatake? i know in some parts of the US pitbulls are banned, and i saw this program in reality TV where they documented pitbull attacks, by golly! nakakatakot, me isang toddler don hus face was practically ripped apart, even the plastic surgeons didnt know if they could still repair her face, tapos i read this thread at amback forum, sabi nila there are 2 schools of thought regarding pitbulls, 1 is: its the fault of the owner for training the dog to be ferocious, 2 is: its the fault of the dog, its in his blood,......then this one guy replied...he said, before i've always believed in the idea that it was the fault of the owner, he went on to tell how he got his pitbulls as newborns and that the dog grew up with them, then he said, .....that was before i buried my daughter!

WTF! and pipol here where i live are prancing around proud of their pitbulls, WTF, dont these pipol know how dangerous this dog is?...well i guess not.

anyway sorry for the long post i just wanted to get your ideas on the subject matter :)

casmot
12-05-2005, 09:57
Originally posted by atmarcella
i just wanted to get your ideas on the subject matter :)

I'm not gundog but here are my ideas:

Yes, that is dangerous.

From what I've read and observed, any dog, regardless if it is a pet, retains its primal instinct/behavior. Magnify these instincts by selective breeding through a number of generations, then you would have the breed you want. Hounds for tracking, retrievers for game retrievals, terriers for small game hunting, etc.

The pitbulls were breed for only one purpose, dogfighting. It is also relatively a new breed. Thus, it would take generations before its dominant instinct or ferocity is replaced. Take for example the Chinese Sharpie (they are so ugly that they're cute:)) This is one of the earliest dogfighting breeds in ancient China. It took a number of generations before their ferocity diminished and before they were considered as pets.

Ok, wala lang. (ok, nothing only)

i_am_infinity
12-05-2005, 10:38
hindi rin po ako si gundog, but i've been around pitbulls ever since my elementary days. we bred, raised, and had not problems with pitbulls whatsoever...well except that they like to fight other dogs but not that agressive to humans. pitbulls are the most loyal of all dogs. i don't mean to step on anyone, but as the saying goes "fear is the result of things we don't understand". we get scared of something we know nothing about personally.

there was a sticker on the car of a friend of mine who still breeds them pitbulls and it goes like..."don't judge the pitbull.."

IMHO they're such a wonderful dog to have, ung ferocity ng pitbull is only to other dogs and sometimes there are owners who are mean to their dogs which result to hostility to other humans...but if the owner is quite normal u can approach a dog with no qualms.

to tap it all up...i believe it's all about environment, which plays a big factor....

but having said all that..i could be wrong ;)these are all based on my own personal experience po ;f ;f

VICARA
12-05-2005, 14:39
vega,
i'm on the last phase of my project at my sister's office. should be done pretty soon. I figure i can go shopping for those grips n holsters sometime next week. If u have something in mind about those cigars' brand, let me know ASAP. And how many u want. Might as well do everything on the same day.

Anybody, if you guys can let me know a good place to pick 'em up. closest to shaw blvd, pasig.

btoler
12-05-2005, 15:51
...and I wish someone would send me some V-8. It's almost impossible to find in the Philippines.
(I'm too lazy to blender my own)

Hi, btoler! ;j

hello, ;f

V8 I personaly can't stand the stuff but to each his own.;0

horge
12-05-2005, 16:00
btoler ;f

Tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach...
what's not to like?
Hehehe

;f ;f ;f

i_am_infinity
12-05-2005, 17:24
My dad was able to buy some V8 campbell brand in some grocery...if not Cheryy foodaram sa shaw blvd sa rustans yata meron...or try pricemart...

darwin25
12-05-2005, 17:50
btoler ;f

;f ;f ;f

Yuck!!!;G ;9 ;f

Allegra
12-05-2005, 18:22
gundog tanong ko lang tungkol sa aso naman ito, kasi usong-uso ang pitbull ngayon dito sa san pablo, i see pipol walking their pitbulls all the time, in very public places with lots of pipol, and i noticed that this dog although very small is very very strong, kasi yung lumalakad sa kanila na mga tao halos hindi cla mapigilan, di ba delikado ito? what if mabitiwan nila tapos umatake? i know in some parts of the US pitbulls are banned, and i saw this program in reality TV where they documented pitbull attacks, by golly! nakakatakot, me isang toddler don hus face was practically ripped apart, even the plastic surgeons didnt know if they could still repair her face, tapos i read this thread at amback forum, sabi nila there are 2 schools of thought regarding pitbulls, 1 is: its the fault of the owner for training the dog to be ferocious, 2 is: its the fault of the dog, its in his blood,......then this one guy replied...he said, before i've always believed in the idea that it was the fault of the owner, he went on to tell how he got his pitbulls as newborns and that the dog grew up with them, then he said, .....that was before i buried my daughter!

WTF! and pipol here where i live are prancing around proud of their pitbulls, WTF, dont these pipol know how dangerous this dog is?...well i guess not.

anyway sorry for the long post i just wanted to get your ideas on the subject matter :)

Pre, you live in San Pablo right?
Uso jan ang dog fighting kaya marami pitbulls
A friend has 3 dogs na nilalaban nya, I watched the video
I was wondering din why there seemed to be a lot of PB jogging w/ their trainers here , yun pala may training yung mga aso
As horrible as it may sound, these dogs were bred for fighting
Hindi umiiyak sa laban , and the owner throws in the towel before any big damage is done ( unless mayaman yung owner ).
3 days, magaling na sugat ng aso.( kumpleto ang vet support ) Ganun sila katibay

Yung mumurahin na pitbulls, madali siguro toyoin
Yun yung pumapatay
I dont think a 9mm could stop one

Pero di ko lang type, mas gusto ko pa rin panuurin tao yung nagpapatayan

Alexii
12-05-2005, 18:26

I like V8 too. But they gotta tame that sodium level a bit...

cznayr
12-05-2005, 18:28
Actually yung ibang addict dyan sa dog fighting eh may threadmill pa para sa training ng aso nila.. I had one engineer under me na champion yung aso niya sa ganyan and the dog was aptly named tsibog.. fights would last for an hour.. walang bitawan pag kumagat.. there are two types of pit bull here, the show type and the ones bred for fighting (correct me if I'm wrong)... Hinde ba tayo mapag-initan at medyo ilegal ang dogfighting? If this topic would put us in the hotseat again siguro change topic tayo.. Balik cigars ;f

vega
12-05-2005, 18:29
cznayr - Cuban cigar? I don't know what you're talking about. It's illegal here in US.;)

darwin - pm sent.

doct - I'm just waiting for the right oppurtunity to smoke it. It's Cohiba and about 8" long. I just want to sit there and probably drink beer while smoking it. I will tell my kids and wife not to disturb me while enjoying it.

pitbull - I have a friend who have a very friendly bull. Even if the biscuit is already in his mouth and the kids will take it away he will just let it go. Won't even growl or yelp. But my cousins bull doesn't like kids.

VICARA - Tabacalera Coronas, I think they sell it at any SM store. Box of 25. TIA.

Now back to Glock from the Philipine shore.
I used to have a G19 which I sold to my brother.

vega

horge
12-05-2005, 19:06
I once had a Glock ...pointed at me.
That's about the extent of my real-world experience with Glocks.
Here on Philippine shores.

i_am_infinity,
Thanks! :) I'll give Cherry a shot. It seems Rustan's doesn't stock it.

Alexii,
Cheers! ;f

horge
12-05-2005, 19:30
Originally posted by cznayr
Hinde ba tayo mapag-initan at medyo ilegal ang dogfighting? If this topic would put us in the hotseat again siguro change topic tayo.. Balik cigars ;f

It is the promotion of illegal activity that Eric rightly disallows.
Mere discussion of crimes is not a violation of GT's TOS, otherwise
so many discussions of carjackings, etc. would also be verboten.

Fighting-dogs walking out and about --even with an owner on the dog's leash ;)
are a legitimate concern for gun owners and all peaceful folk.
It helps to understand what (if any) threat the dogs present,
and towards that end we discuss their nature/environment.

racine
12-05-2005, 19:57
Some of you guys are downright hysterical, comedy central around here! Maybe I've been living here too long. Let me give some of you some insight about where this suggestion comes from. It's occured to me, an expat, traveling around the US of A that foreigners are somewhat suspect. Even before 9/11 this country has been rather homogenous in color, language and ideals. For this reason most races, be it Italian, Irish, Hungarian, German, Japanese, etc... have made it mandatory to learn, speak and think in english. It is one large thread that holds this country together. It is why numerous races have anglosized their names and their customs. I'm not saying that's good, just that it's history. In this day and age post 9/11 many of us "americans" look at newcomers with suspicion if your name starts with Muhammed, you talk with a heavy accent or don't speak english at all, dress in native clothing, etc... I speak from experience that regardless of one's educational background, chronological age, profession or demeanor, you will scrutinized and discriminated against. Several posters here could give a flying ***k about my first post and that's fine. This is a free country and so is the "Pilipinas" ( many people have sacrificed and paid for that). I've now gotten a feel for this particular site and I'll leave it be.

BTW, you can get real cubans in Ontario, Quebec or British Columbia. Most of them are full bodied, expensive & over rated. My source is US mil. stationed in So. Amer. so I get them free. Last ones I had were R.Julieta. Smooth draw, robust flavor/chocolate-leather and nice finish. Goes well with a good Kentucky Bourbon. Most of the time I smoke Montecristos, Ashtons/ Fuente Maduros.

Maligayang Pasko,
Racine

Allegra
12-05-2005, 20:21
I'm not a racist either but whenever I see errr....people from down south of the felipens or of middle eastern origin pag nasa mall, I cant help but look around for suspicious ticking packages

It's the medias fault

cznayr
12-05-2005, 20:31
After 9/11, profiling seems to be the fad.. And yes, media is partly to blame. However, I would like to dissuade from joining the circus since I wouldn't want other people profiling me also when I'm in the USofA just because of the color of my skin.

But then again, it's human nature for us to think like that. As for me, I try to minimize the stares and just do the scanning rather dicreetly.
:cool:

horge
12-05-2005, 20:39
racine,

In other words... you are arguing for assimilation.
That's a good thing (up to a point) for US immigrant groups.

Thing is, I'm not a US immigrant :)
Ditto most of those who post in Pilipino here.

I can rattle off other immigrant groups in the US, including the very largest,
who aren't as willing to assimilate, who aren't as accessible as Filipinos.
Do you think GT subforums set aside for them would be more Anglicized,
to your satisfaction? Beside the point, yes, but there it is.

We aren't here to become American.
We aren't demanding that onlookers learn Pilipino, and
we're certainly not here to earn brownie points from Americans
for having mastered the Lingua Anglica.

The majority --nay, the vast superiority of posts on this subforum
are nevertheless in English because we disrelish the exclusion
of those who cannot understand Pilipino.

On a "Forum for Glock Talk Members of Filipino, Filipino/American,
or any nationality that would like to talk about Glocks, Shooting,
and all related topics", we ARE here to celebrate guns, life,
and Filipino sentiment.

Nothing expresses Filipino sentiment like the Pilipino language,
and if you are out to quash the use of Pilipino, you risk suppressing
full expression of the very thing that sets this subforum apart,
and defines it.

Again, a Merry Christmas to you and yours.
horge

PS: Don't take the teasing personally.
It may be confusing, this shifting rapidly from teasing banter to serious discussion
and back, and sometimes one can miss the shift and treat a teasing
joke as insulting dismissal of one's serious opinions.

racine
12-05-2005, 21:45
No I am NOT asserting assimilation. Merely pointing out that non-english languages, and now even French, will be subject to scrutiny and denigration here either covertly or overtly. One of the largest immigrant groups, the mexicans, as a whole will be subject to the treatment blacks received in the last century. Why, spanglish, a failure to communicate and a general lack of wanting to learn. Movements in Kalipornia to create a bilingual state failed overwhelmingly.

I never implied posters needed to become american, to earn brownie points, but to hint that those that chose not to communicate in english may never be taken seriously on an American forum. Obviously here, that point is overlooked or considered irrelevant or both.

"...the vast superiority of posts on this subforum are nevertheless in English because we wish to avoid exclusion of those who cannot understand Pilipino..."

Suppression of expression, of language, of culture, of humor is against the grain of our democracies. However, it is in times like this that suppression of liberties are overlooked and/or allowed in the interest of the whole. As someone said, if Eric allows it, it's fine. I was merely stating an observation from an infrequent observer. I praise and commend your sense of nationalism. It is refreshing breath of air.

Glock On,
Racine

PS. Cuban cigars are illegal to smuggle into the US and can carry a big repercussion. Most of the time they are just confiscated but at $300-400+ a box it can get pricey. We get a lot of bootleg fakes not worth a dime. S. America is open to the Cuban market so most of the real ones can come that way, but I never said that...

gundog
12-05-2005, 21:50
re: pit bull

very hard to generalize the breed as a mean machine. some dogs by nature are aggresive and some are not. had some dobes that were gentle and some that are not. the are nots are the ones i try to avoid breeding. i just dont breed pit bulls since they agressive by nature and i dont want to take the chance of losing my face or any part of my body. just remember when a pitbull bites they seldom let loose until you use the break stick to pry open their jaws. ive seen many that can carve a bulalo bone into splinters. best is to avoid the breeds that are naturally aggresive. as they say, to each his own.

yes there is a show type pit bull but are only registered under the PBAA. they are not registarable to the american kennel club, the mother club of all dog breeders. in most states in the usa it is a felony to own one. this is an underground business in the usa. the phils have no such law YET but it is only a matter of time. i have nothing against pit bulls but i do not plan to own one now or in the future.

atmarcella
12-06-2005, 00:17
guys thanks for all your replies regarding pitbulls;f

racine sorry for the thread hi-jack;f you should frequent this site masaya kami dito;f kung me naliligaw na kano tapos gusto nya translation, no problem joe!!;f

atmarcella
12-06-2005, 00:24
Originally posted by Allegra
I dont think a 9mm could stop one

i read a post sa .40 cal club dito sa glocktalk, an LEO was attacked by a pitbull, he shot it with 165grain golden sabre remington, first shot hit the back of the dog...that didnt stop it! nakagat sya sa binti, point blank pinutokan nya sa ulo...that stopped it;f

darwin25
12-06-2005, 00:31
watch this video

pitbull attack (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/pitbull-attack-p1.php)

and this one

Dog training on real prisoners during apartheid in South Africa (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/dog-training-p1.php)

cznayr
12-06-2005, 01:28
Tnak GOd we have the likes of Nelson Mandela!!!!

cebuboy
12-06-2005, 03:10
hi atmarcella, owning a pitbull is like owning a gun. it is the responsibility of the owner to train and discipline the dog. a properly trained pitbull makes for a good companion and protector.

btoler
12-06-2005, 03:49
btoler ;f

what's not to like?
Hehehe

;f ;f ;f

I actualy like V8 Splash. I don't know what the difference is though.;f

antediluvianist
12-06-2005, 03:59
Originally posted by Alexii
I like V8 too. But they gotta tame that sodium level a bit...

Quite so. The label indicates lotsa sodium. What a pity. We hypertensives are restructed as to how much of this excellent stuff we can drink.

As for all the sturm und drang about the use of Pilipino, the owner permits it. You don't like it? Set up your own forum and make your own rules.

horge
12-06-2005, 07:15
btoler :)
V8 Splash is IIRV, made of 'fruit', rather than 'vegetables'.
It's a tricky distinction to attempt with regard to tomatoes...

racine,
Listen to atmarcella: stick around :)

h.

Froggy_131
12-06-2005, 07:49
Originally posted by cebuboy
hi atmarcella, owning a pitbull is like owning a gun. it is the responsibility of the owner to train and discipline the dog. a properly trained pitbull makes for a good companion and protector. And the loser of the dog fight becomes the meal of the day or pulutan! ;z

atmarcella
12-06-2005, 08:26
Originally posted by revo
My friend,

The Philippines is no longer called 'PI' - Philippine Islands.

hi revo,
i was just watching "rome" sa HBO, and lo and behold, rome was a republic, and we all know what happened to rome, republics tend to be centralized, the USSR was centralized we all know what happened to them, i use P.I. all the time, why? when i use it i feel like i'm refering to the whole phils., when i use R.P., i feel like i'm just refering to imperial manila only, pero and gusto ko talaga pangnglan ng bansa natin FEDERAL STATES OF THE PHIL. ISLANDS;f FSPI for short;f whachyathink???;f

horge
12-06-2005, 15:34
No matter how you slice it, our country's name contains some bad juju.

Felipe II ruled what was at the time technically the richest, most powerful country in Europe ---except it was saddled with untenable debt. The fantabulous wealth in silver and gold of the Americas was practically expended just paying off the mere interest!

You see, Felipe's father was Carlos I, who raised and maintained a vast (and vastly expensive) mercenary army; borrowing heavily to finance his military pursuit of the Imperial title as Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Carlos bequeathed the relatively debt-free Imperial throne to his brother, and the financially-encumbered Spanish crown to his son. Felipe II was at once king of Spain, Sicily, Portugal, England (nominally), parts of the Netherlands, Mexico, Brazil and much of the rest of South America... not to mention his farthest-flung possession in the Orient Seas, an archipelago named after him, a nation we know as the Philippines.

Among the last to attain sovereign independence among the Spanish colonial territories, our nation finds itself in a predicament that in some ways, Felipe II himself would have understood with bitterness : too large a share of the wealth we produce is expended on servicing external debts.

h

Allegra
12-06-2005, 18:25
Philippine Islands.....hhmmm.....has a tropical paradise ring to it :)
Paradise naman talaga dito ah . Ahem :)

kahapon pako hindi makag-post , kala ko ban nako hehe

doctabako
12-06-2005, 22:49
During the Marcos regime, there was a proposal to change the country's name to Maharlika, and the critics were quick to jest as to what to call the male and female citizens of Maharlika namely Maharluko and Maharluka. Good thing the move was scrapped. :)

toxic
12-06-2005, 23:04
During the Marcos regime, there was a proposal to change the country's name to Maharlika, and the critics were quick to jest as to what to call the male and female citizens of Maharlika namely Maharluko and Maharluka. Good thing the move was scrapped. :)

Thank God di natuloy ;z

New_comer
12-06-2005, 23:32
What were our Islands called before the Spaniards came? This archipelago must have been called something by the Chinese and Malays who at that time were already actively trading with the native population. ^8

darwin25
12-06-2005, 23:43
What were our Islands called before the Spaniards came? This archipelago must have been called something by the Chinese and Malays who at that time were already actively trading with the native population. ^8

AFAIK, th country has once been part of the Madjapahit and Shri Vishayan empire. And the southern islands were an important part of the Shri Vishayan empire. Thus, the name Visaya was given to the southern islands

doctabako
12-07-2005, 00:07
IIRC, in pre-spanish times, the chinese traders referred to the Philippines as MAI.

New_comer
12-07-2005, 01:39
So there were several names for our islands, whether it's Mai or an extract from that "Madjapahit - Shri Vishayan" nomenclature, or some other name that escapes our memory for now.

It maybe a good idea to revert to that ancestral name, or come up with a better one, and rid ourselves of that 'curse' of the spanish king jinxing our present affairs, as horge explained.

Whadyatink? ^8 If given the chance, how'd you name our country?

horge
12-07-2005, 02:20
Hi, doct :)

{warning - rant follows} ;)

IIRC, maharlika translates as 'big testicles', and
it was a foreign chronicler's backhanded reference to an indeterminate people
in the Southeast Asian region. Pseudo-historians of the Marcos
era were quick to claim it as referring particularly to "us",
to try to fabricate a 'better' foundation for Filipino identity.

As with another modern fabrication, the 'Code of Kalantiao', there is no
solid support for the assertion that the Chinese referred to "us"
with any exclusivity as Ma-i or Ma-yit: the terms being
common denigrate epithets applied to many a different 'land of
barbarians'.

http://tinypic.com/ibgo52.jpg
9th to 10th century A.D. gold pieces used in the Philippines and Indonesia

Some poor pseudo-historians tried to interpret the Kavi/devanagari
character found on massa gold pieces as standing for
anything but the East Asian unit of weight 'mas', again in order to
bolster 'Filipino' history. Any assertion that it stands for
Ma-yi or Ma-yit is very weak, as the devanagari
character would not have stood for a Chinese term, especially
one so insulting to the purported makers of the currency! It does not
likely stand for Maynila, either: an extremely rare contemporary
record (The Laguna Copper Plate) never refers to Manila, but to
Tundun (Tondo) as the place of importance in the area.

http://tinypic.com/ibgnxc.jpg
A piloncillo of raw sugar. Such are about an inch and a half tall.
A 'piloncito' would be a diminutive piloncillo.
The panocha of Batangas are compositionally similar

The gold pieces are known to Philippine numismatists as 'piloncitos';
the term being extremely unfortunate, likening the early currency
to the muscovy-sugar lumps of Mexico (similar in composition to the larger panocha
still available in Batangas), thus Hispanicizing what is clearly pre-Hispanic.

The Sri-Vijayans (8th to 11th century A.D.) held economic sway over
the lower 2/3 of the present Philippines, hence our middle 'Visayas'
after later Muslim incursions claimed the bottom third. There is
nothing other than modern musings to suggest the Madjapahit EVER
held dominion over what is today the Philippines, though trade was
strong. The scribes of the Madjapahit were fond of setting down all
kinds of BS: that they ruled eveything in sight, including eastern China,
so caution should always attend studying their records. The 'piloncito'
character unlikely stands for the Madhjapahit: by the 13th century
prominence of those jokers, the old Kavi/deva nagari script had long been abandoned,
and their currency looked very different.

So many misuses of history, for political purposes,
but there's far, FAR worse, broader afield of mere coins...
;P

Don't get me started on the shameless corruption of Ibn Battuta's
'Tawalisi', and 'Princess Urduha'; or the stupefying usurpation of
Claudius Ptolemy's 'Cattigara', again for the sake of fabricating
some 'pre-Hispanic Filipino identity'...

Now, before someone resents my undermining 'Filipino identity'...
I'm as nationalistic as almost anyone out there ...but not at the expense of the truth,
even if the truth turns out to be that we simply can't know much about our past
because we didn't have much of a past; that we weren't a nation
until after Spanish colonial consolidation.

What's in a country's name?

The closest supportable Pre-Hispanic reference is Lui-sung
(yet another rendition of 'land of barbrians') which survives via
Spanish recognition as today's 'Luzon'. But that's still a foreigner's epithet,
rather than a name that "we" gave "ourselves"

'Felipenas', 'Filipinas', 'Pilipinas', 'Philippines'...

Again, what's in a country's name?
I'd rather ask: What's in a country's people?
Are we a people? Are we a country?

http://tinypic.com/ibh16q.jpg

Are we that which we desire, or that which we attempt?
Maharlika ;g

Allegra
12-07-2005, 03:21
Well, I sorta like "Island of Big Testicles" myself hehe

doctabako
12-07-2005, 03:49
Hello Horge, informative rant ;f.

It's true that we didn't have an identity before the colonizers came as we were just a motley assortment of tribes with loose alliances at best, hence the epithet "Barbarians". Whatever identity we could've developed was taken away from us by 300+ years of colonization. It's not so bad that "we" didn't name ourselves, even "America" or "Columbia" is derived from the days when Spain and Portugal divided the world among themselves.

"What's in a name?, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" ;f

re: the "piloncitos"..... Isn't it just convenient that it was first discovered in Calamba and that Dr. Jose Rizal and his friend Blumentritt were instrumental in its identification..just thinking aloud ;f

racine
12-07-2005, 06:18
Nice bit of history. Anyone care to chime in on the origin of the name Maynila? I suspect it too may have muslim roots. Interesting that much like many countries, it takes an oppressor to consolidate and forge a Filipino alliance...

antediluvianist
12-07-2005, 06:46
'Felipenas', 'Filipinas', 'Pilipinas', 'Philippines'...

Horge's series reminds me of what we used to call the Hotel Filipinas while it existed - it was a hot-pillow hotel that the oldies among us remember used to stand at the corner of Roxas Blvd. and I think it's Padre Faura St.

Anyway, it burned down a long time ago, and they found 7 burned corpses in it. Nobody could understand how there could be an odd number of people in a hot-pillow hotel.

Anyway, it used to be called the hotel "filthy *****" . Yeah, maybe we can think of another name for this country.

antediluvianist
12-07-2005, 06:56
" Anyone care to chime in on the origin of the name Maynila? "

According to one of my high school teachers, the word "Maynilad" derives from the Tagalog phrase "may nilad" which means "there is nilad" ("may" = "there is"), which ultimately means " there is a mangrove" ("nilad"= "mangrove"). Manila is a place which used to have plenty of mangroves and was descriptively named , in this account.

Anybody have another derivation?

vega
12-07-2005, 08:01
During the Marcos regime, there was a proposal to change the country's name to Maharlika, :) It was Eddie Ilarde who proposed that, after his proposal ayaw ko nang manood ng Student Canteen.;)

vega

casmot
12-07-2005, 10:31
Originally posted by antediluvianist
("nilad"= "mangrove"). Manila is a place which used to have plenty of mangroves and was descriptively named , in this account.

Actually, "nilad" is a mangrove shrub with white star-shaped flowers. But there no longer any "nilad" in Manila. And yes, Manila used to have plenty of mangroves since parts of Manila is at or below sea level.

Some more: Malacanang, May lakan diyan (a nobleman lives there). Tagalog, Taga-ilog (people living by the river - referring to the pasig river)

horge
12-07-2005, 16:00
re: the "piloncitos"..... Isn't it just convenient that it was first discovered in Calamba and that Dr. Jose Rizal and his friend Blumentritt were instrumental in its identification..just thinking aloud ;fHi again, doct :)
I'm surprised they didn't have Rizal digging the stuff up himself. ;f
But seriously, it was supposed to have happened in 1887, and I
must note that Rizal was back in our country (from Europe) only
from Aug 5 onwards. I don't have all his correspondence with
F. Blumentritt for that period, but so far I can find NOTHING
that refers to the gold massa coins.

*shrug* The much-ballyhooed Ambeth Ocampo buys into it, so maybe
he's seen the letters. Trouble is, Ambeth says the stuff was dug
up in Mandaluyong, while the PNAS cites Calamba Laguna. What gives,
and where are these letters?

It was Eddie Ilarde who proposed that (Maharlika), after his proposal ayaw ko nang manood ng Student Canteen. ;)Sinu-sino nga ba ang hosts of that noontime show?
Eddie Ilarde, Bobby Ledesma and Ate Helen Vela, and there was a fourth, right?
I remember I liked the show's theme-song melody. It had a refrain like
"Come on, come on... on Student Canteeeeeen" or something like that.
Ahhh, but I do miss the simpler days of black-and-white TV's.
Bobby Ledesma later had an evening show, with the Apo Hiking Society
(The Apolinario Mabini Hiking Society ...funny name, cheesy music, haha)
as regulars... anyone remember the name of that show?

Originally posted by casmot
Actually, "nilad" is a mangrove shrub with white star-shaped flowers. But there no longer any "nilad" in Manila.Hi casmot! :)

http://tinypic.com/ibys7b.jpg
Nilad (Scyphiphora hydrophyllaceae gaenta)
Images from: Christian Puff; Singapore National Parks Board

IIRC in 1992, the ERDB facilitated the planting of a nilad
(Scyphiphora hydrophyllaceae gaenta) grove in old Manila at the
Mehan Garden (ex-Jardin Botanico). I don't know what happened to
those plants afer Atienza was done with 'developing' the land.
Anyone know?

Some more: Malacanang, May lakan diyan (a nobleman lives there). Tagalog, Taga-ilog (people living by the river - referring to the pasig river) This is of course, highly speculative, as it is unclear that
the place had this name BEFORE Salcedo and de Goiti scouted it out.
I might as well trot out the OTHER well-worn proposal of origin,
that the name is derived from mala caņa out of a locally-superstitious
regard for a locally-dominant species of cane.

OFF-TOPIC (or on-topic, considering this is a gun-discussion board) ;) :
Having mentioned cane...
Does anyone else miss having Bamboo Cannon to usher in the New Year?
I wish we'd have kept the tradition with more care, or better yet...
upgraded to real lantaka ;f

http://tinypic.com/ibyxav.jpg
Bronze lantaka. Culloden Antiques

I don't think it'd be IDPA-legal, though...
horge

antediluvianist
12-07-2005, 16:56
"This is of course, highly speculative, as it is unclear that
the place had this name BEFORE Salcedo and de Goiti scouted it out.
I might as well trot out the OTHER well-worn proposal of origin,
that the name is derived from mala caņa out of a locally-superstitious
regard for a locally-dominant species of cane."

That's the story I heard too. Bad cane.

"OFF-TOPIC
Having mentioned cane...
Does anyone else miss having Bamboo Cannons to usher in the New Year?
I wish we'd have kept the tradition with more care, or better yet...
upgraded to real lantaka "

Up to my college days - in the sixties - my family used to fire off Bamboo Cannon during the holidays. Simple enough to make a bamboo tube - and the explosive fuel was just carburo/kerosene if I remember correctly. Could fire a tin can a fair distance.

Would you like to see my bamboo organ?

akula
12-08-2005, 04:35
Some of you guys are downright hysterical, comedy central around here!....
I've now gotten a feel for this particular site and I'll leave it be. Bog is more like a shooters'-forum rather than a shooting forum. It's where the Glock or Non-glock Gunowners spend and meet up when not on the range or at the bar. I used to remember that a thread about a group of Filipino Glock-owner went on for a lot of pages, and I think 3 long threads at that. It was when Eric gave the BOGs their own subforum. Glocktalk has a few sub-forum then, mostly caliber-oriented unlike now where their are a LOT more. I could recall that the first project was a T-Shirt with the Band of Brothers silhouette made into 'Band of Glockers'.

BOG is quite a reflection of the lives of the Filipino shooters (mostly Metro Manilans, though). I'm from down south, so I was never been able to be with the BOGs during 'nightshoots'.

doctabako
12-08-2005, 05:31
Hi again, doct :)
I'm surprised they didn't have Rizal digging the stuff up himself. ;f
But seriously, it was supposed to have happened in 1887, and I
must note that Rizal was back in our country (from Europe) only
from Aug 5 onwards. I don't have all his correspondence with
F. Blumentritt for that period, but so far I can find NOTHING
that refers to the gold massa coins.

*shrug* The much-ballyhooed Ambeth Ocampo buys into it, so maybe
he's seen the letters. Trouble is, Ambeth says the stuff was dug
up in Mandaluyong, while the PNAS cites Calamba Laguna. What gives,
and where are these letters?

probably stored along with the supposed Rizal retraction ;f

Sinu-sino nga ba ang hosts of that noontime show?
Eddie Ilarde, Bobby Ledesma and Ate Helen Vela, and there was a fourth, right?
I remember I liked the show's theme-song melody. It had a refrain like
"Come on, come on... on Student Canteeeeeen" or something like that.
Ahhh, but I do miss the simpler days of black-and-white TV's.
Bobby Ledesma later had an evening show, with the Apo Hiking Society
(The Apolinario Mabini Hiking Society ...funny name, cheesy music, haha)
as regulars... anyone remember the name of that show?

The fourth member was Coney Reyes-Mumar....then Sotto..then...born again ~hg

The show was Discorama ;f

horge
12-08-2005, 05:43
Ah yes....Coney Reyes!
and Discorama!

Thanks! :)

vega
12-08-2005, 07:48
And after that, Chiqui Holman.

vega

akula
12-08-2005, 15:10
Ah yes....Coney Reyes!
and Discorama!
Yeah... and we're still here to remember it :) ;f

BORN... BORN TO BE ALIVE!!! BORN TO BE ALIVE!!!
Remember, how the BODY LANGUAGE created all the ruckus... and now we even have the BAYWaLK BODIES and the VIVA HOT BABES creating boring stuff...

Alexii
12-11-2005, 01:42
I can remember those bamboo cannons during New Year's Eve as a kid. Unfortunately, I don't see these anymore. Anyone care to chime on how this is done? Ante mentioned "kalburo". A step-by-step guide would be helpful.

It's nice if the kids these days can see how these bamboo cannons of yesteryears work.

Eye Cutter
12-11-2005, 01:57
we use kerosene or gasoline. we use an air compressor to make the fuel-air mixture and light the breech side with a bamboo rod dipped in gasoline. kaboom!

atmarcella
12-11-2005, 04:08
kami we used to heat the underside a little bit by lighting pieces of newspaper kasi cguro yung fumes ng kerosene mas matindi kung heated sya, hi-tech kyo doc me compressor pa kyo, kmi hini-hipan lang namin ang butas;f

doctabako
12-11-2005, 05:25
kami we used to heat the underside a little bit by lighting pieces of newspaper kasi cguro yung fumes ng kerosene mas matindi kung heated sya, hi-tech kyo doc me compressor pa kyo, kmi hini-hipan lang namin ang butas;f

ditto :) ihip at kerosene lang kasi pag naparami ang gasoline nabibiyak ang kawayan. binabalahan din namin ng lata para mas malakas ang tunog :)

Django
12-11-2005, 06:43
ditto :) ihip at kerosene lang kasi pag naparami ang gasoline nabibiyak ang kawayan. binabalahan din namin ng lata para mas malakas ang tunog :)

Also true in our case except that we securely tied with GI wires stress points of our bamboo cannon so that no one will be injured in case of a Kaboom. There was also a mandatory rotation for the "taga ihip" since this was the most stressful job.;f

Ditto the lata for better sound effects.

Recalled also that there were a lot of scorched eyebrows and eyelashes.;z

atmarcella
12-11-2005, 06:46
Originally posted by Django

Recalled also that there were a lot of scorched eyebrows and eyelashes.;z

+1;f ....memories;f

toxic
12-11-2005, 09:05
Kalburo , as i remember about 2 cm of kalburo inserted inside the bamboo cannon then a few drops of tubig just enough para magka fume and not too much it will completely disolve the kalburo , pag may fume na light then KABLOOWEE. to make it more fun nung bata pa ko we inserted a piece of kamote sa dulo ng Cannon pointed at our rival neighbors then Shout PUEGO. pag minamalas at too much fume sabog pati Bamboo cannon..but no problem then maraming puno ng kawayan sa likod bahay. Yah those were the days ..teka ano na nga ba yong topic?

casmot
12-11-2005, 09:37
I use a bicycle pump. :)

Mine was a bamboo cannon but my cousins made their cannon out of a sewer pipe. Complete with stand, reinforced breach, and a foot pump. It shoots an empty can about fifty feet. ;f

darwin25
12-11-2005, 17:59
Originally posted by casmot
I use a bicycle pump. :)

Mine was a bamboo cannon but my cousins made their cannon out of a sewer pipe. Complete with stand, reinforced breach, and a foot pump. It shoots an empty can about fifty feet. ;f

Ditto. Ganyan din kami sa min. Up to now may gumagawa pa din. TYun isang kapitbahay namin sewer pipe din gamit. 10 years nya na mahigit ginagamit yung kanya.

mc_oliver
12-11-2005, 20:13
Hehehehe, I remember the old days in the province. We started with bamboo canons and gaas. Upgraded to a really big & long steel pipe and kalburo. It got so loud that the on the eve of Christmas, we were the only house that got visits from marine MP's telling us to stop. ;P ;)

Then the canon fights started. You get a smaller piece of bamboo that's portable enough. Insert an empty delata can on the muzzle end, point it to the "enemy" and BOOM!. ;f

Last I remember, we graduated to "duct-taped, in-cans" cannon and lighter fluid. Easier to fabricate, easier to carry over to your friends' house, cools faster, easy to find spare parts and looks really flashy (different colored cans used.)

Gawd! I miss those good old days...

Eye Cutter
12-11-2005, 23:10
for the past several years we use a steel cannon. we use acetylene gas for the explosive mix!

ang tindi ng tunog! hahaha!!!!

Django
12-12-2005, 05:27
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
for the past several years we use a steel cannon. we use acetylene gas for the explosive mix!

ang tindi ng tunog! hahaha!!!!

Doc: "Open" category na 'ata yung cannon mo a. ;z ;z ;z

Wp.22
12-12-2005, 21:30
same with DOC EC we have three steel canons 4 inches inside diameter and we would use acetylene to fire up the canons. pag malapit na yung 12 pm we aim our canons sa neighbor namin na asar kami sa lakas ng canon nalalagyan yung kalwang sa rain gutter nila. The first time we use yung 3 canons the next day nasa ear doctor na yung dad ko nadamage yung isang ear nya sa lakas.

kristiansen
12-13-2005, 04:42
pag dec.31 malapit na mag new year,lakas ng putukan,i go out of the house and put on my ear muff!! hehehe;z

New_comer
12-13-2005, 08:40
Three years nang me fire incident lagi sa vicinity namin. Laging galing sa mga firecrackers or kwitis na mali ang lipad. Nawawala tuloy ang saya namin; napapalitan ng takot at hysteria... ;g

Dapat siguro i-commercialize na yang de-kalburo o de-fluid. Wala pa kong narinig na naaksidente sa mga traditional na pampaingay. :cool:

Pepe308
12-14-2005, 21:36
Three years nang me fire incident lagi sa vicinity namin. Laging galing sa mga firecrackers or kwitis na mali ang lipad. Nawawala tuloy ang saya namin; napapalitan ng takot at hysteria... ;g

Dapat siguro i-commercialize na yang de-kalburo o de-fluid. Wala pa kong narinig na naaksidente sa mga traditional na pampaingay. :cool:

+1.

darwin25
12-14-2005, 21:50

Back when we used to live in Polo, Valenzuela when I was a kid, every new year's eve, my dad used to bring me and my sister to the Polo General Hospital just across our apartment so we could see for ourselves what happens to those who got injured by firecrackers. Hindi pa uso yung mga episode ng MGB na "Mga Tinamaan Kayo ng Putok" noon. He will bring us by 10:00PM and will bring us back at about 1:00AM until we developed a distaste for firecrackers. Lalo na nung masindihan ko yun isang lobo na sumisingaw. Uso pa helium noon. Tustado yung kamay ko nun. Natunaw ba naman at dumikit yung lobo sa kamay ko e. I did develop a distaste for rebentadors and the likes but not with bamboo cannons and especially not with guns.;f ;f ;z ;z

vega
12-15-2005, 08:00
Originally posted by darwin25
Back when we used to live in Polo, Valenzuela
Hey, magkapit-bahay lang pala tayo. Sa Balintawak Beer Brewery (BBB) kami nakatira.

vega

darwin25
12-15-2005, 19:12
Hey, magkapit-bahay lang pala tayo. Sa Balintawak Beer Brewery (BBB) kami nakatira.

vega

So that's what BBB meant.;f Been knocking myself for so many years for the meaning of that acronym. Many relatives of mine worked and some still works for San Miguel BBB. BTW Im originally from Coloong, Valenzuela. My whole clan still lives there. Though Im in Monumento now.

vega
12-15-2005, 19:52
Madalas pa rin bang magbaha? (Monu and BBB)

vega

cznayr
12-15-2005, 20:02
Pag whole day ang ulan, oo.. Sa BBB di na gano, atleast sa McArthur Hi-way

darwin25
12-15-2005, 20:03
Madalas pa rin bang magbaha? (Monu and BBB)

vega

BBB madalas kasi wala na tubig sa Tullahan River. Niyari kasi ni Bobbit ang Valenzuela e. Nakakalakad na nga mga tao dun sa ilog dahil puro basura na. Kaya pag umulan grabe baha. Pero Monumento malaki improvement mula ng umupo si Lecheverri, este Echiverri pala. Seriously, nawala traffic at baha sa Monumento. So far consistent naman sya. Although I did not vote for any of the candidates. Then again, I haven't voted ever since I became a voter.;f

By the way, when we used to live in Polo, Bobbit would always come to our house every morning for coffee. Katicket nya kasi kapatid ng father ko sa municipal council noon and kasama nya father and uncle ko sa Jaycees. If not for the popularity of his mother Dra.Carlos and his cousin Dr.Jun Mendoza (both are well loved by the Valenzuela folks), I bet he wouldn't even make it as a barangay captain.

vega
12-16-2005, 16:02
Paano niyari ni Bobbit ang Valenzuela?
Wala ng tubig sa Tullahan, wala pa rin daw tubig sa mga gripo.....

vega