Firefox help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firefox help

ShipWreck
12-01-2005, 04:09
Trying to add extensions to the newest download.

Everytime I try to add it, I get a warning from fireforx that says:

"Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options to enable it and try again."

I have have gone into options and looked all over, but I can't see what and where to make a change to allow this.

Can someone guide me here?

Gmountain
12-01-2005, 05:34
You might want to do a search on a spyware program called CoolWebSearch. I was just reading an article about this, and it can hijack your browser and disable the add/remove program option in windows. It is bad juju.

Toyman
12-01-2005, 06:54
Options dialog, Advanced section, scroll down, under Software Update, There's a "Allow web sites to install software" Checkbox.

WT351
12-01-2005, 07:10
Originally posted by Toyman
Options dialog, Advanced section, scroll down, under Software Update, There's a "Allow web sites to install software" Checkbox.

Yeah, what he said.

Infidel
12-01-2005, 07:37
Version 1.07 -- Tools | Options | Web Features
Version 1.5 -- Tools | Options | Content

DDH
12-01-2005, 09:06
Start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> Firefox --> Change/Remove

Glad I could help. ;)

Brasso
12-01-2005, 09:18
If you just updated to the latest version, like I did, you will find that many of the extensions and themes no longer work. You'll have to wait till they are updated also.

ShipWreck
12-01-2005, 11:18
Originally posted by Infidel
Version 1.07 -- Tools | Options | Web Features
Version 1.5 -- Tools | Options | Content

I have version 1.5 - Just updated.

I am in content, but no matter what I check and uncheck, it doesn't help...

Infidel
12-01-2005, 11:45
Brasso hit it exactly. Most of the extensions for version 1.0x don't work with 1.5, and are disabled in the 1.5 installation. We have to wait for the extension authors to release a version compatible with Firefox 1.5.

Also, you might need to kill and restart Firefox after changing that setting. I haven't experimented with that.

I use only 1 extension, which I uninstalled from 1.5 (the extension was disabled in the 1.5 installation). Then I looked for and found a newer version that works with Firefox 1.5, and installed it. Everything was dead simple and easy, just clicking the buttons in Firefox 1.5.

Good luck,

Kastivich01
12-01-2005, 11:53
Originally posted by DDH
Start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> Firefox --> Change/Remove

Yeah, then you can go back to using internet exploder ;T