Scrubbing my hard drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbing my hard drive

MrWithasee
12-01-2005, 10:13
I was watching L&O-SVU last night and they were scanning this suspects PC but were unable to recover anything b/c he'd used a "scrubber program" to wipe everthing.

I've heard that these things existed but are they for real? Is it possible to really remove everything and the evidence that it was ever there? I know formatting a drive doesn't and all info can be recovered if you know how to do it.

Egyas
12-01-2005, 10:44
Originally posted by MrWithasee
I was watching L&O-SVU last night and they were scanning this suspects PC but were unable to recover anything b/c he'd used a "scrubber program" to wipe everthing.

I've heard that these things existed but are they for real? Is it possible to really remove everything and the evidence that it was ever there? I know formatting a drive doesn't and all info can be recovered if you know how to do it.

Yes. One of the better ones I have used is Autoclave. Too bad it is now "end of life".

Another good one is "Darik's Boot and Nuke" It can be found here...

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

MrWithasee
12-01-2005, 10:59
Originally posted by Egyas
Too bad it is now "end of life".

Meaning what? Sorry.

Blitzer
12-01-2005, 11:12
END OF LIFE = No longer viable and out of date for today's operating systems.

NORTON Wipe info will do the same.

Be warned an (Federal) investigator with a big budget has the software and hardware tools to recover most of the data, given the time to do it.

Data is never truly removed short of heating the hard drive platter(s) to 400 Celsius. At that point all the magnetic domains realign to their original orientation, effectively scambling all the data ever written to the hard drive platters. :cool:

MrWithasee
12-01-2005, 11:49
Originally posted by Blitzer
Be warned an (Federal) investigator with a big budget has the software and hardware tools to recover most of the data, given the time to do it.

I'm certain of it. The info on my drive doesn't warrant the expenditure of time or money.

I suppose after running this software that I would simply use the restore disks to get bck up and running.

Washington,D.C.
12-01-2005, 15:22
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Active_KillDisk_d4791.html

fatlander
12-03-2005, 15:36
I heard that an alternating magnetic field of around one Tesla can do the trick as well - but you know those rumors ;)

HAVOC
12-04-2005, 07:57
Originally posted by fatlander
I heard that an alternating magnetic field of around one Tesla can do the trick as well - but you know those rumors ;)

I wouldn't rely on a one Tesla field to totally wipe a disk if you were trying to hide from the Feds. But degaussing a drive like that pretty much renders it useless. There's information on the platter(s) that the factory puts on there so the heads can track their position. Blitz those and you have a paperweight.

Originally posted by fatlander
I'm certain of it. The info on my drive doesn't warrant the expenditure of time or money.

I suppose after running this software that I would simply use the restore disks to get bck up and running.

If you're just looking to blank a disk to start over, rather than a security issue, there's really no reason to use the industrial strength solutions. Repartition and format is more than adequate.