SD cards for new digital camera [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SD cards for new digital camera

sigman69
12-01-2005, 10:56
Hello,

I have been cruising the net for SD cards for my new canon A520 digital camera and prices are all over the board for the same size.

Does brand make a difference. I had a camera that took smartmedia and i had all different brands and it didnt seem to matter.

thanks.

Glock Bob
12-01-2005, 17:11
Lexar is one of the best, if not THE best. I know CF cards are rated for data transfer speed, but I'm not sure about SD cards. If they are it's best to get the fastest you can afford. However, keep in mind that your camera can only read and write to the card at a certain top speed. If you were to get a 40x card, but your camera couldn't read/write to it that fast, then you'd almost be wasting your money. However, the difference would be made up when you upload the images to your computer, assuming your reader can take advantage of such speeds, such as the reader I mentioned in another of your posts.

BL33D 4 M3
12-01-2005, 17:25
I use SD cards for several devices and I usually find the best price at www.newegg.com

Several good brands: Kingston, PNY, Lexar. I'm sure there are others.

epsylum
12-01-2005, 20:59
anyone know how San Disk rates? I got a killer deal on it (512MB CF card) so I am not complaining.

pyblood
12-01-2005, 22:23
I think that the Kingston Ultimate SD memory cards are pretty good. I have a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II card and a 512MB Kingston Ultimate SD card, and I think that the Kingston card is faster than the Ultra II. Sandisk does have the Sandisk Extreme III cards that are suppose to be pretty fast too. I think that the Kingston Ultimate cards and the Sandisk Extreme III cards are the fastest on the market today. They do cost a little more than regular memory cards, but I think that they are worth it.