Computer help--how to consolidate my software collection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer help--how to consolidate my software collection

Asus
12-02-2005, 08:22
I need some help on how to consolidate my software collection. I have sooooo many discs lying around and wanted to organize and consolidate them. I have a DVD burner and was wanting to be able to put multiple programs onto the DVD. I was guessing I would have to burn the disc to a folder with its name and then transfer these folders to the DVD. My burner is a Dual layer and I was even thinking of getting DL discs to help my consolidation even more. What are your thoughts and what is the best method to do the task I am asking? Thanks--ASUS

pyblood
12-02-2005, 09:33
Copying the discs to your HD and burning them to DVDs does sound like a good idea. DL DVDs are pretty expensive; I recommend just burning them with on regular DVDs. Another option is to just buy a big CD wallet and put all of the discs in it. Make sure to keep up with all of your product keys/serials.

Asus
12-02-2005, 13:59
but what would be the process of doing what I am wanting...say with Nero? How do you do it?--ASUS

pyblood
12-02-2005, 14:03
Insert the CD
Double Click on My computer.
Right Click on the D: (or what ever your CD drive letter is)
Select copy
Go to the location of your choice, right click, and select paste. It will paste the entire contents of the CD to that particular location.
After you’re done you can just use Nero to burn the folders to a DVD.

WhatYouWant
12-02-2005, 17:02
If you want to save ISO images of CDs then you can try these two tools. I have used them in the past but do not know how good they are right now.

The first link is a utility to copy a CD to an ISO image on your hard drive. The second link is a utility that will let you LOAD the ISO image on your hard drive as another "CD" drive on your computer (upto 4 the last time I used it). There is a tutorial on the DDump site.

http://www.geocities.com/ddumpfrontend/
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/

Once you have all the ISO's you want you can write them to DVDs and have a few less disc's to worry about. Another option is to use LINUX (or any other *UX you like) and mount the ISO images as another drive...I think you can do like 10 this way without recompiling the kernel (it was a long time ago).

I have an external USB HDD that I save alot of the ISO's onto. I always try and keep a backup to this drive because there is alot of stuff on it. I would suggest some sort of backup method if you write to DVD or store on HDD.