networking pc's to dsl [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : networking pc's to dsl

jolt8me
12-02-2005, 23:20
I am finally switching over from dialup to dsl. Heres what i want to do, i want 2 computers to have access to the internet. One will be upstairs and the other in the basement. I can think of only 2 ways of doing this.
1)hook up a wireless router to my dsl connection (will i still need a dsl modem??? If so would i put it before or after my router???
2)hooking both computers up to 2 seperate lines and having my isp give me 2 different i.p. addresses (would they do this and charge me double or the same since its using the same phone line)
I've never networked 2 computers before and looking for some input on what would be the best way to do this. Also what should i look for in a wireless router if i decide to go that way???

cgwahl
12-03-2005, 03:41
You will still need a dsl modem.

Basically it looks like this:

Wall <-> DSL Modem <-> Router (or Switch or hub) <-> Computer(s)

You don't need two ip addresses from the ISP.

Basically your router (or modem if its a modem/router) will assign each computer an ip address.

For instance...your router might be 192.168.1.1

One computer will probably be assigned 192.168.1.2 and another computer could be 192.168.1.3

If you do end up getting a dsl modem/router you will need to turn your router into a switch by the way.

Hopefully someone else can recommend a router. I honestly don't know. I know at my work we usually recommend Linksys, but frankly down the line it probably doesn't really matter.

If you do decide to do this wirelessly be sure to make it secure. The wired route probably won't be too difficult...it would just involve some cabling. Wireless approach is probably a lot easier/cheaper though.

IndyGunFreak
12-03-2005, 08:01
Originally posted by cgwahl
You will still need a dsl modem.

Basically it looks like this:

Wall <-> DSL Modem <-> Router (or Switch or hub) <-> Computer(s)

You don't need two ip addresses from the ISP.

Basically your router (or modem if its a modem/router) will assign each computer an ip address.

For instance...your router might be 192.168.1.1

One computer will probably be assigned 192.168.1.2 and another computer could be 192.168.1.3

If you do end up getting a dsl modem/router you will need to turn your router into a switch by the way.

Hopefully someone else can recommend a router. I honestly don't know. I know at my work we usually recommend Linksys, but frankly down the line it probably doesn't really matter.

If you do decide to do this wirelessly be sure to make it secure. The wired route probably won't be too difficult...it would just involve some cabling. Wireless approach is probably a lot easier/cheaper though.

I have a Netgear FVS114 Firewall/Router. Very easy to configure, and works great. Typically, DSL ISP's charge about 10-20 a month for an additional IP. Waste of money if you ask me(unless you absolutely must have it for some reason), as its super simple to set up a router. My Netgear router ran me about 75 bucks at CompUSA.

I'm no expert on networking, but I recently went through exactly what you are going through when I switched to cable a few weeks ago(search a few of my threads). You may find you'll have trouble with a wireless signal in the basement, depending on how far the wireless router is from the basement, as walls, etc, can cause a signal problem. Then you get into needing signal boosters, etc, etc.

Since none of my PC's are laptops, I found it just easier to wire them together. It was very easy to do, and after learning how to twist my own cable, took all of about 1hr to run 3 computers and an X-Box.

So far(knock on wood), it has worked great and given me no problems at all...

Good luck
IGF

UneasyRider
12-03-2005, 17:18
What you really want to do both for the present and the future is install a wireless router. You can use something cheap and simple like the D-link 524 or something more expensive, they will both work very well for you but the more expensive ones work at a greater distance. Connect the router by wire to the modem and one of the computers. Buy a wireless card for the other computer.

Now when you add another computer, desktop or laptop, or if a friend drops by you are good to go. It's really easy stuff once you start connecting the wires.

Don't forget your security set up if you go wireless. Your neighbors kid can read your mail and use your connection if you don't. What you want to do is 1)Select not to broadcast your SSID 2)Use a security encryption word 3)Set a MAC address filter so that only your computers can go online, period.

Figures my first post on this board would be off topic. Hope it helps, good luck. Bob.