A long Winter's nap...... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A long Winter's nap......

mmsig229
12-03-2005, 14:42
How sad. The babies have all been put to sleep for the winter. Here's the ritual.....

1. Put some Stabil in the gas, run bike, turn off petcock.

2. Change oil and filter.

3. Circulate fresh oil.

4. Remove and charge battery. If sealed, I leave it in bike.

5. Take old tube sock and cover exhause pipes (keeps mice from having a place to spend the Winter.

6. Spray exposed aluminum with WD40.

7. Cover with sheets, then a platic tarp.

That's about it. Come Spring all I ever do is put the battery back in, check tire pressure, clean air filters, and I'm ready to roll. After a quick spin, they all get a hot bubble bath....

xrmattaz
12-03-2005, 15:19
<c>bI understand the need for you'ze Eastern guy's to put 'em to bed for the winter, but it still saddens me.

I'm up in Northern Arizona, and we'll get some snow and ice soon.....but nothing like ya'll get. My favorite riding time is just beginning! Still need to put some Stabil in the Guzzi tank, as she'll not see much use this winter.

Go out in the garage and give her a good rub down every once in a while for me!

mmsig229
12-03-2005, 16:42
Originally posted by xrmattaz
<c>bI understand the need for you'ze Eastern guy's to put 'em to bed for the winter, but it still saddens me.

I'm up in Northern Arizona, and we'll get some snow and ice soon.....but nothing like ya'll get. My favorite riding time is just beginning! Still need to put some Stabil in the Guzzi tank, as she'll not see much use this winter.

Smart alec!!!!While getting the bikes ready for bed, I had to get the snowblower ready for action too!!!!!

c5367
12-03-2005, 17:01
Originally posted by xrmattaz

I really need to move! Only a few more months until I can make my escape!

mmsig,
That's a good idea with the tube sock....hadn't thought about mice. I just put mine up for the winter as well.

wvwayne
12-05-2005, 03:00
Originally posted by mmsig229
Smart alec!!!!While getting the bikes ready for bed, I had to get the snowblower ready for action too!!!!! I can relate to this being an Ohio res. myself but my snowblower is a Fergison 20 with a 6 ft. snow blade.
;Z

btoler
12-05-2005, 03:12
I know I just got my license this october 31st I have to wait a whole winter to get a chance to begin riding. Besides I still have to buy myself a bike.:(

BikerRN
12-05-2005, 09:08
Gee, I don't understand this preparing the bike for the winter stuff. It was 64 degrees yesterday and the wife and I went for a ride on our respective Ducati funmachines.

I guess that's why we live in a southwestern desert environment. :) Take care and have a good winter, I know we will.

Gravity
12-05-2005, 11:59
Originally posted by btoler
I know I just got my license this october 31st I have to wait a whole winter to get a chance to begin riding. Besides I still have to buy myself a bike.:(

Similiar situation except I have the bike. Makes it a little worse. ;)

fnfalman
12-05-2005, 13:04
That's a real bummer. I feel for you guys.

klmmicro
12-05-2005, 18:20
Wow, I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to not be able to ride for months on end. I too feel for you guys.

I am planning a move to Arizona in Spring of 2006. Not sure where I will end up exactly, but hopefully it will be light on the winter weather.

I just had a pretty funny mental image of what would happen if a mouse took up reidence in my thumpers pipe...little grey furry projectiles bombarding the driveway! Sick, I know ^~

Lone Wolff
12-05-2005, 21:54
Originally posted by BikerRN
Gee, I don't understand this preparing the bike for the winter stuff. It was 64 degrees yesterday and the wife and I went for a ride on our respective Ducati funmachines.

I guess that's why we live in a southwestern desert environment. :) Take care and have a good winter, I know we will.

Lucky Bastards! Winter weather around here isn't real conducive to riding a bike with 2-3 inches of snow and ice on the roads and a 30-40 MPH wind driving the snow horizontally. Even when it's sunny, the temp is often single digits or lower. Plus when the roads are "dry", they have a lot of salt residue. Doesn't do much good to get that stuff on your engine & all your chrome. So we always have to wait for a good hard spring rain before you feel really safe bringing them out for summer.

It's the very rare 60 degree days in January & Feb that really make me want to get out and ride. But then by the next week, it's back down to zero again. We don't get as much snow as those further East, but we make up for it with colder temps.

FWIW, the current temp here at 9PM is a balmy 2 degrees F, with an approx wind chill of -21F. Enjoy your winter riding, those of you who can. The rest of us are jealous.

hitecrednek
12-07-2005, 18:52
the FXST is sleeping, but the 883 is ready to go......

rode the 883 on Dec 3rd, and will take her out again once the worst of the sand gets blown off the road and the temp gets up to 35 degrees.

so, the Sportster IS good for something!

Three-Five-Seven
12-08-2005, 09:51
Yup, Winter is here! We've had to zip up the riding jackets for an hour, or two, in the morning. Afternoons still find us in perforated jackets. We will be thinking about you guys on our ride from Tucson to Long Beach tomorrow to the International Motorcycle Exposition.

Stay warm.

fnfalman
12-08-2005, 12:10
It gets fairly nippy in the SoCal high desert. In the morning it's about high 20s and gets up to about mid 60s. So, in the morning, I break out the full leathers, neck gator, a sweater over my Under Armour long sleeve, Under Armour leggings, thick wool socks, turn on the heated grips and rock 'n roll!!!

fnfalman
12-08-2005, 12:13
Three Five Seven,

You may want to check out taking I-8 and then go up I-5 to 405 West. I-10 is usually murder with the crosswinds and gusts around the Palm Spring area. You can expect hellacious gusts for about 40-miles or more. Not a pleasant experience. I've never taken I-8, so I don't know if you would be subjected to crosswind on that route either, though. Just becareful.

Three-Five-Seven
12-15-2005, 08:07
Hey, thanks for the recommendation!!!

As it turns out, we did go I-8 to I-805 to I-5 to I-405, etc., etc., etc.......

We were told, in addition to your comments about wind, that the traffic on the I-10 route to Long Beach was impossible. Something about construction and commuter traffic.

The I-8 route is very nice. The only bad part is that loooooonnnnng stretch from Yuma to Gila Bend. Each of us came close to falling asleep.

I was surprised how civilized Long Beach is. Almost all drivers were courteous to us. More pleasant than Arizona, that's for sure.