Xp User Id Accounts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Xp User Id Accounts

nmg1348
12-03-2005, 18:14
I wan to create a couple of accounts on my computer for the family members. I know that i can set me up as the administrator, but i want ot be able to limit the content of what the accounts do. How do i make certain websites locked out, and how do i make it so that they only have viewing privlidges, and not be able to change any settings.

AS45-70
12-03-2005, 20:11
To limit access to certain sites you can enable content advisor in IE and create a password.

You will also need to create some user accounts for other members of the family. Make sure you create "limited user" accounts or they will have admin privelges.

Start / settings / user accounts

select creat new / create a name / select limited user

hope that helps

AS

pyblood
12-04-2005, 16:13
Originally posted by AS45-70
To limit access to certain sites you can enable content advisor in IE and create a password.

You will also need to create some user accounts for other members of the family. Make sure you create "limited user" accounts or they will have admin privelges.

Start / settings / user accounts

select creat new / create a name / select limited user

hope that helps

AS

It all depends on how much you want to let them do. I would set up the accounts on the PC. After that I would go to the start menu, select run and type in “CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2” (without the quotes). On the user tab you’ll see all of the user accounts that are on your PC. Double click on one of the user accounts that you just created, and you can change the account properties for that particular user. You can get a little more flexibility using this method. You can make them a guest, standard user, power user, etc.

HVAC-TEK
12-06-2005, 07:28
I have a limited account that I created for my seven year old daughter’s computer. Since she can’t change or modify files, there are some games that will not run, using her account. I have to log on using mine.

Just a heads up on some potential issues that you may not have thought of. "Limited" does cause annoying and unexpected issues sometimes.

(Yes I know that I can give write permission to those game files for her account, but im lazy and haven’t gotten around to it yet)

KIM