Computer virus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer virus

vega
12-04-2005, 09:58
Guys I need your help. My computer has been affected by Trojan Vundo. I tried scannng it with Norton anti-virus but only succedeed to quarantine it. And this pesky window (VIRUS ALERT) keeps popping up. A friend told me to download Microsoft anti-spyware and use that to scan my computer. I just want to hear second - third opinions.

TIA,
vega

isuzu
12-04-2005, 10:22
Originally posted by vega
Guys I need your help. My computer has been affected by Trojan Vundo. I tried scannng it with Norton anti-virus but only succedeed to quarantine it. And this pesky window (VIRUS ALERT) keeps popping up. A friend told me to download Microsoft anti-spyware and use that to scan my computer. I just want to hear second - third opinions.

TIA,
vega

Hi Vega!

Does your ISP offer free internet security? Try contacting them and they might send a technician to your residence to fix the problem.

We have Shaw internet in this part of N. America, and once you subscribe to them, internet security comes with the package and they would send somebody (no charge) should something happen to your internet connection.

New_comer
12-04-2005, 10:54
I currently use Yahoo's Anti-spy that comes along with their Toolbar and pop-up blocker. Then subscribed to the free AVG personal anti virus program as my main PC protection. I got rid of the licensed PCCillin 2002 that came with my motherboard. Too tediuos to update...

No problems whatsoever after 3 months in my current configuration.

Hope you squash your virus problem... :cool:

vega
12-04-2005, 10:56
I have no idea. I bought this comp last October and right now I am using free AOL account for 6 mos.

vega

casmot
12-04-2005, 11:01
I just use Grisoft free AVG antivirus. Just update regularly and it works.

vega
12-04-2005, 11:08
But how do you remove that pesky alert window that keeps popping up?
Norton Antivirus
Virus Alert
X High Risk
Bla-bla-bla

vega

isuzu
12-04-2005, 12:08
But how do you remove that pesky alert window that keeps popping up?
Norton Antivirus
Virus Alert
X High Risk
Bla-bla-bla

vega

I think it's AOL's feature. My brothers use Comcast for their internet in the States. You may want to inquire if they have security features available for free for as long as you subscribe to them.

horge
12-04-2005, 16:07
Symantec (Norton) offers a free, Vundo-removal tool:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.vundo.removal.tool.html

Mang Danny
12-04-2005, 18:49
Have you tried Lavasoft's AdAware? Might work.

Did your computer came with a recovery disc? If so, you can use it to restore to factory configuration, you would lose all your data but it's like having a new computer.

vega
12-04-2005, 19:20
horge - Thanks for the link.
Danny - I have a recovery disc but I'll try horge's link first. That's the culprit which is in my system.

vega

toxic
12-05-2005, 02:58
If im not mistaken Sir, That pop up alert contains the virus itself, dont press cancel or scan ..just click X ..ok din po yung Mc affe anti virus may daily updates and its free. You can also try Mang dannys Lavasoft Adware SE may free updates din.

atmarcella
12-05-2005, 09:51
vega,
i'm just curious...how did you get it? did you open a file or something w/c contained the virus? thanks;)

vega
12-05-2005, 19:05
I used fix.vundo but the window keeps popping up. I ran it (fix.vundo)again but the system tells me that it's gone. If I use Norton scanner, it will detect it but it cannot remove it.

The pop alert comes from Norton, there is no X to click nor button to scan.

That pop-up started when I download our creative disc webcam. The only websites I go to are:

Glock talk
Calguns
HS2000 XD
Firearms manufacturers

My kids go to friendster a lot.

I also checked if they downloaded music from other sites
but negative.

I do get a lot of emails (spams) but I just delete it.
I called Dell Service support but they want me to pay $99 to fix it.

vega

New_comer
12-05-2005, 19:47
Here's what I'd do:

- back up all important files, burn on DVD or CDrom
- Download the free AVG software from grisoft.
- uninstall your Norton anti virus.
- Using regedit, delete all registry entries that has anything to do with Mcaffee/Norton
- Using DOS or safe mode, delete the quarantined file or nay suspicious files you may have.
- reboot, then install the AVG file.
- Run the cleaning facility through all its paces.
- get online and visit the grisoft website.
- right-click on the AVG icon at Toolbar to update with latest files.

the PC's now protected. :cool:

If something goes wrong, a blue screen or total crash perhaps, send unit to computer shop. Tell them you did nothing special. ;)

Worse case, they may have to reformat the drive. ;P

Vault Keeper
12-05-2005, 20:01
I called Dell Service support but they want me to pay $99 to fix it.

HARANG NAMAN YAN!;P That would translate to about Php5k+! Wow, I guess its better to buy or subscribe to an anti virus software who regularly gives update!

Hope you get things fixed...

apoy
12-05-2005, 23:05
Before doing anything else try Trend Micro online scan. Use IE. You can use Firefox if you have a place holder. Online scanners are, at times more reliable than subscriptions because they tend to get the updated definitions first.

Anyway, if Trend Micro did not get anything. Un-install your Norton. The fact that it can detect and not eliminate is a total waste of disk space.

link: http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

If you dowloaded AVG and made a full scan (even in safe mode) and still come up with nothing. Go Kaspersky.

If you decide to get another AV solution, be sure that you are only running one anti-virus program.

batangueno
12-05-2005, 23:09
Sayang vega nasa US ka. Dito, you can just call homogenizer and tell him to come over to your house. ;f

vega
12-05-2005, 23:25
Paano ba ilagay sa safe mode and Windows XP. Iba yung icon, I also printed HELP pero iba yung command.

vega

New_comer
12-05-2005, 23:33
Paano ba ilagay sa safe mode and Windows XP. Iba yung icon, I also printed HELP pero iba yung command.

vega
Press F8 while the PC is booting up

mc_oliver
12-05-2005, 23:36
Paano ba ilagay sa safe mode and Windows XP.
While holding a hammer in your right hand, press the power button....;f

Seriously, just hit F8 after the CMOS boot info disappears but before the Windows loading appears.

Personally, I prefer the hammer, though. ;f

vega
12-05-2005, 23:47
Pag hindi ko pa nakuhaI'll get a mallet.

vega

paltik45
12-07-2005, 20:52
You got my sympathy kabayang Vega. I've been trying to fix my computer which I got from DELL. I installed a Mcafee and webroot anti-spyware...sa awa ng Diyos wala na akong matangap na mga E-mail;g . Mukang na hi-jack yung mail box ko at ayaw mag-update nung dalawang software......Kainis talaga.:soap: Kaya sa susunod sa local store na lang ako bibili para pag nasira sila na bahala.

vega
12-07-2005, 22:09
If ever this gets fixed I will remove internet connection. If the kids need to surf the net they will just go to the public library.

vega

PMMA97
12-08-2005, 02:47
If ever this gets fixed I will remove internet connection. If the kids need to surf the net they will just go to the public library.

vega

Parang naririnig ko na... " But dad!.... the library?" ;f

vega
12-18-2005, 19:51
Hey guys, I was able (finally) to remove the virus with much trial and a whole lot more errors with the link that horge provided. Thanks again horge. As the website said, removing it was really difficult. You need to do it over and over and over again...

hnard sent me a PM that he'll take care of it when he gets back here, thanks for the offer but I got it done. Hey, I'm still willing to meet with you and if you change your mind with the 626 I'll take it.

Good thing I did not fall for that $99 crap.

Again folks, with much thanks.

BTW, I don't think I'll send my kids to the library when they need a computer.

vega

horge
12-18-2005, 20:41
:)

If you think Vundo was so much fun, vega,
just try a few rounds sparring with Nail.

On second thought, don't.
;)

---------------
My 24/7 defenses consist of Black Ice, SpyBot, Avast, etc.
Periodic system scan with Ewido.
Some days I wish I had set up a Linux box instead.
:(

Mang Danny
12-18-2005, 23:15
All's well that ends well. :)

hnard
12-18-2005, 23:23
I'm glad you fixed it. ^c Anyway, looking forward to see you again as well.

hnard sent me a PM that he'll take care of it when he gets back here, thanks for the offer but I got it done. Hey, I'm still willing to meet with you and if you change your mind with the 626 I'll take it.
vega