Which Program to Handle My MP3 and Music? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Program to Handle My MP3 and Music?

Nalapombu
12-07-2005, 04:21
Hey all

I have a BUNCH of MP3 files on my machine that I lkisten to regularly and I also frequently listen to music CD's, rip the tracks to my system and also burn my own music CD's from my clooection. I like being able to do all the things on my system. The problem is that I have 4 programs to do all of that stuff.
Instead of settling on one program to do it all, I go out and get several because of a feature or 2 that might be lacking in one of the other programs. I would like to start using ONE program to do it all. I am going to eventually have an IPOD so the program has to be able to support that too.

Right now I don't have my MP3 files tagged with the ID3 or ID4 tags. I understand that the IPOD MUST have this done before being able to transfer. I also know that it would be much easier if I DID go ahead and code everything. Since I have lots of rather strange music, I know I am going to have to go in and manually fill in the correct information on lots of the tracks.

As an example, if I get all my music coded with the correct tag information in Musicmatch, it won't do me a bit of good if I go and use REAL player to listen to MP3's will it? I would also have to tag all of my songs in REAL player as well, is that right?

So I want ONE program to deal with it all. What program would you all suggest that I use for all my audio needs? It has to do all that I listed above. No more multiple programs to deal with music for me.
Is there a program that you have had good luck with? Any information or advice you can pass on about a program or organizing my MP3 collection, I would be grateful. I don't look forward to coding all of my music either.

Thanks for the help and advice...
Sorry for the LONG post.

Nala

Delta
12-07-2005, 04:32
Limewire...

grokdesigns
12-07-2005, 10:56
Originally posted by Nalapombu
I would like to start using ONE program to do it all. I am going to eventually have an IPOD so the program has to be able to support that too.

As an example, if I get all my music coded with the correct tag information in Musicmatch, it won't do me a bit of good if I go and use REAL player to listen to MP3's will it? I would also have to tag all of my songs in REAL player as well, is that right?

Nala

iTunes should do just about everything you need. If you're going to use an iPod eventually, might as well start with iTunes (it's going to work best with the iPod). The only thing I'd get a seperate program for would be CD ripping, I use Easy CD-DA extractor(which can connect to the internet and automatically update ID3 tags for many CDs) or Exact Audio Copy.

ID3 tags are stored in the MP3 file, so it doesn't matter what program you edit them in, any program that supports ID3 tags will be able to read them.

Romadoc
12-07-2005, 15:26
I just placed a post on "Non Glock Forum" regarding a problem using MusicMatch. It is titled "Aarg using MusicMatch".

Nalapombu
12-07-2005, 17:48
I had NO IDEA the TAG information was stored within the MP3 file itself. I thought that when you set up a program for your MP3 files if you tagged them with the ID3 or ID4 tags that tag information was stored within the particular program you were using and it wasn't (or couldn't) be shared with other programs.
So now that I know that the tag information stays with the file no matter what program I use, it's not so important that I rush to find a single program to handle everything for me. If I tag all my MP3 files correctly within REAL player for example, I can go to Musicmatch or Windows Media Player and load my MP3 list and all the correct tag information will be right there with it and I will be able to use the sorting functions of the other programs to find songs to listen to?
Is that correct? I hope so.
Thanks for the information.

Nala

grokdesigns
12-08-2005, 12:24
Originally posted by Nalapombu
If I tag all my MP3 files correctly within REAL player for example, I can go to Musicmatch or Windows Media Player and load my MP3 list and all the correct tag information will be right there with it and I will be able to use the sorting functions of the other programs to find songs to listen to?
Is that correct?[/B]

That's correct...however, I wouldn't use RealPlayer for anything...haven't had it installed in years in fact. Horrible piece of software in my opinion. I've used Winamp for years and had no problems.

Furant
12-08-2005, 14:24
Decided MediaMonkey's not for you, eh?
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=395785

epsylum
12-09-2005, 15:21
Originally posted by grokdesigns
That's correct...however, I wouldn't use RealPlayer for anything...haven't had it installed in years in fact. Horrible piece of software in my opinion. I've used Winamp for years and had no problems.

+1

Real and Quicktime blow IMO.

Winamp rules for MP3 playback. I have been using Winamp for as long as I have had a computer.

Nalapombu
12-10-2005, 13:29
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Now that I know the Tag info STAYS with the MP3 files when you go through and tag all of them, I can take my time a bit.

JFerrante, I forgot all about that MediaMonkey. I downloaded it to my machine after that thread and I think I installed it on my dad's machine. Looks like I may use it after all to help me with the tags.
Thanks for reminding me about it.

Nala

Altaris
12-11-2005, 10:51
Realplayer sucks

Winamp is what I used for many years and loved it, but recently switched over to iTunes. I was reluctant to go to itunes at first (since I hate everything apple), but I have been very happy with it since using it.