1st Shooting by an Air Marshal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st Shooting by an Air Marshal

isuzu
12-07-2005, 19:06
Just saw the news, and a man was shot by US Air Marshalls after he disembarked from American Airlines flight 924 from Medellin, Colombia at Miami Int'l and boarded a plane bound for Orlando, FL.

The man shouted that he had a bomb before boarding the plan. He then ran and reached at his backpack. The Air Marshalls didn't take any chances and shot him. This is the first shooting of involving US Air Marshalls since 9/11.

The female companion told authorities that he had bipolar disorder and had not taken his medication.

My opinion:

This could have been avoided if:

1. The victim took his medication or the companion was diligent enough to see if the he took his medication;

2. He should have declared at check-in that he had a disorder so they would have been placed in an area of the plane where the victim could relax, would not get agitated or stressed, or an airline nurse would have accompanied them on the flight. The airline would have notified in advance US Marshalls and airport security that they had a passenger on board with a mental disorder.

bikethief
12-07-2005, 19:30
Saw this on MSN news also. I guess they didn't have any other options. Haaay...post-9/11 praning stress.

bikethief
12-07-2005, 19:35
On a more interesting note, the article mentions that air marshals are trained to shoot to kill and they get the best handgun training among all LE departments. What do you think they are issued? Glocks? Sigs?

jerrytrini
12-07-2005, 19:59
Sig 226 I believe is the standard issue of these guys and gals. They are trained to make head shots 95% of the time. I was in a local match when I noticed that one of the shooters (Pinoy) was always going for the head shot. Curiosly, I approached him and asked why, he said that's how AMs are trained. I am unqualified to be an AM because the minute my back hits a soft comfortable backrest, I am out like a light.

Allegra
12-07-2005, 20:15
Originally posted by bikethief
On a more interesting note, the article mentions that air marshals are trained to shoot to kill and they get the best handgun training among all LE departments. What do you think they are issued? Glocks? Sigs?

A b-shooter in IPSC can pass the FAM drill quite easily
My vote goes to the LAPD swat
Maybe , Jerry can confirm

isuzu
12-07-2005, 20:22
Originally posted by jerrytrini
Sig 226 I believe is the standard issue of these guys and gals. They are trained to make head shots 95% of the time. I was in a local match when I noticed that one of the shooters (Pinoy) was always going for the head shot. Curiosly, I approached him and asked why, he said that's how AMs are trained. I am unqualified to be an AM because the minute my back hits a soft comfortable backrest, I am out like a light.

Yup! They are issued Sig P226s. Same with the US Secret Service. IMHO, Sigs have the sweetest double action in a pistol so far.

RenegadeGlocker
12-07-2005, 20:29
Sig 229 in 357Sig with 125 grain Speer.

Allegra
12-07-2005, 20:34
Originally posted by isuzu
Yup! They are issued Sig P226s. Same with the US Secret Service. IMHO, Sigs have the sweetest double action in a pistol so far.

Better than an LDA?
I used to have the 228, kaso didnt like it

JohnJak
12-07-2005, 20:45
We love our sigs............

Allegra
12-07-2005, 20:58
Originally posted by JohnJak
We love our sigs............

I've only tried most of the P series
Have to admit I liked the p220

darwin25
12-07-2005, 21:16
Originally posted by Allegra
I've only tried most of the P series
Have to admit I liked the p220

Me too. I think the P220 is the best DA .45 cal pistol out there. Definitely one of my must have guns.

Alexii
12-07-2005, 23:17
Originally posted by RenegadeGlocker
Sig 229 in 357Sig with 125 grain Speer.

Yup. This is what I read too. The same article said that the required drill to be a FAM is 1.5 second draw and a spinal cord (about the diameter of the pinkie finger) hit at a certain distance (not sure how many feet).

These guys are probably among the most highly trained in the use of handguns.

Allegra
12-07-2005, 23:28
Originally posted by Alexii
Yup. This is what I read too. The same article said that the required drill to be a FAM is 1.5 second draw and a spinal cord (about the diameter of the pinkie finger) hit at a certain distance (not sure how many feet).

These guys are probably among the most highly trained in the use of handguns.

I dont have a copy of the drill pero I think you can do a search on that
I dont remember a required spinal cord hit pero my headshots and mag changes etc
Dun sa kabilang glock forum may FAM and the civilian trainers there have even lowered the times on their FAM drills
I bet the BOGS team can ace it :)

PMMA97
12-08-2005, 02:37
I have a classmate in the Philippine Coast Guard tapped to be trained as a local air marshall. In our last communication about 3 months ago he informed me he was issued a .357 pistol but did not mention the make.

antediluvianist
12-08-2005, 07:39
Once I was on an Air Vietnam plane about ready to take off and as I was sitting there it occurred to me that I had left my ticket with a company person at the foot of the stairs; so I jumped up and started moving fast towards the door, which was near the cockpit. Suddenly I see the air crew running up to me shouting "Sir! Why are you walking fast to the front of the plane ?" . They had that "This could be it" look. Stupid me. I explained the situation, while they took their positions around me. Nothing bad happened but
I learned not to walk fast towards the cockpit in an airplane.

darwin25
12-08-2005, 19:47
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/darwin25/notice.jpg

MELBU
12-08-2005, 20:46
cool!:cool:

asintaderoche
12-08-2005, 23:37
i did heard that news and i was just as fresh having my trip to phil and back to u.s.. the t.s.a. is really serious on their job. the lines on boarding a plane is a pain in the neck. in japan they were using x-rays for human, putsa sa pinas binubulatlat yung mga bag random, hehehehehehe umangat yagbols ko dito dahil dami ako pasalubong na dvd pinay xxx. bomba din yun di ba.....

theTactician
12-10-2005, 04:45
Originally posted by asintaderoche
i did heard that news and i was just as fresh having my trip to phil and back to u.s.. the t.s.a. is really serious on their job. the lines on boarding a plane is a pain in the neck. in japan they were using x-rays for human, putsa sa pinas binubulatlat yung mga bag random, hehehehehehe umangat yagbols ko dito dahil dami ako pasalubong na dvd pinay xxx. bomba din yun di ba.....

Sir, oo nga, delikado yun..other than "bomba" yung xxx :-) baka dumugin ka pa ng mga tiga mtrcb. kasi, kinukolekta nila lalo na yung magagandang xxx. yung mga panget na kopya, yun ang sinusunog nila.:-)

jasonub
12-10-2005, 06:53
Originally posted by isuzu

and one of the most accurate out there in terms of service pistols

flyboy 1
12-10-2005, 17:42
I have been following the progress of the U.S. Air Marshalls for the past several years. They are considered to be the most highly trained of all Federal agents, and undergo a very stringent selection process. High intelligence, excellent physical fitness, good analytical and decision making skills, stability under pressure, and excellent weapons marksmanship are all the hallmarks of a U.S. Federal Air Marshall. I have the utmost respect and honor for the men and women who serve under this agency.

As a side note, U.S. Air Marshalls have been utilizing the SIG-SAUER pistols for the last several years, most recently the 229 version in .357 SIG. This gives them the optimum balance between concealability, accuracy, reliability and knock-down power in an auto pistol. Only the best for the best. ;)