Handgun ownership threatened in Canada [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handgun ownership threatened in Canada


isuzu
12-08-2005, 18:03
News just in:

The current prime minister of Canada, Paul Martin, vows to BAN ALL HANDGUNS if re-elected. His government was toppled about a week and a half ago in a no-confidence vote due to kickbacks from advertising companies that the Liberals hired.

If his government gets re-elected, it will be the end of IPSC in Canada.

Elections will be on January 23, 2006.

vega
12-08-2005, 19:24
Hindi ba puede idemanda dahil sa kickback?

vega

batangueno
12-08-2005, 19:31
You better start campaigning against him. :)

isuzu
12-08-2005, 19:39
Originally posted by vega
Hindi ba puede idemanda dahil sa kickback?

vega

Their party was toppled during a no-confidence vote in parliament due to the Adscam. The Gomery commission found them responsible for the scam.

I don't know if they could get sued after the Liberals get defeated in the elections and step down. Laws here in Canada under the Liberal rules are very relaxed. Nakakatawa. The Liberals even legalized same sex marriage!:steamed:

3kings
12-08-2005, 19:45
another solution is "balik pinas". so many funshoots left and right nowadays. even in the streets firefights, accidental firing,etc. going on though they are not ipsc sanctioned..lol

isuzu
12-08-2005, 20:25
This is just one classic example of a government who controls guns too much. There are a lot of illegal guns and a lot of irresponsible people using illegal guns because the requirements of getting a gun license is both expensive and very difficult. So, people look for an easy way, even if it's illegal.

Just take the case of Para Ordnance. It's made in Canada, but Canadian dealers have to get it in FL and import it to Canada. So, the gun prices here (including reloading components) are close to double than the prices in the US.

There are a lot of shootings committed here 99% of the time with the use of illegal guns.

cznayr
12-08-2005, 20:46
Originally posted by isuzu

There are a lot of shootings committed here 99% of the time with the use of illegal guns.

I thought near zero ang gun related crime in Canada?

Alexii
12-08-2005, 23:07
Hello isuzu-- I read somewhere in recent past that there is an organized group of illegal gun owners in Canada. They even have an acronym (can't remember) and continually taunts the Canadian government. Does this group still exist?

darwin25
12-08-2005, 23:12
Originally posted by isuzu
Their party was toppled during a no-confidence vote in parliament due to the Adscam. The Gomery commission found them responsible for the scam.

I don't know if they could get sued after the Liberals get defeated in the elections and step down. Laws here in Canada under the Liberal rules are very relaxed. Nakakatawa. The Liberals even legalized same sex marriage!:steamed:

If they're so liberal, why cant they liberalize gun ownership?^8 ^8 ^8 ^8 ^8 ^8

isuzu
12-09-2005, 00:33
Originally posted by darwin25
If they're so liberal, why cant they liberalize gun ownership?^8 ^8 ^8 ^8 ^8 ^8

You're absolutely right!;)

atmarcella
12-09-2005, 22:35
uy napanood ko isa sa mga films ni micheal moore where he showed how peaceful it is in canada cos of strict gun laws, he even showed that the people there dont even lock their front doors, not true???

isuzu
12-09-2005, 22:49
Originally posted by cznayr
I thought near zero ang gun related crime in Canada?

Not necessarily. It's because the liberal government restricts fireams so much that people turn to illegal ways to acquire them. I believe that the more you restrict guns, people who don't have any exposure on how they work and how they're used will want to have one, and the danger begins. It's like wanting to operate a motor vehicle without any knowlege about it.

Toronto has had a lot of gun related shootings because of gangs.

isuzu
12-09-2005, 22:56
Originally posted by atmarcella
uy napanood ko isa sa mga films ni micheal moore where he showed how peaceful it is in canada cos of strict gun laws, he even showed that the people there dont even lock their front doors, not true???

Michael Moore is a left-leaning liberal. That's why he's so anti-gun. He tries to picture Canada as such, but there are a lot of home invasions here by people who arm themselves with just machetes or baseball bats. That's all you need. Because perps know that people in those homes don't own guns, so they're easy prey. Try that in the US.

I believe that the US is more peaceful than Canada in general because people have the RIGHT to defend themselves. That's guaranteed in their Constitution. People in the US respect somebody's dwelling or risk getting shot at.

As to people that don't lock their doors, it's just for show. People here have alarms hooked to security companies in their houses.

I just read an editorial in a newspaper today that the liberal government used the Federal Gun Registry that was enacted about ten years ago to keep records of people who own guns. In case they'll outlaw guns, it's easy to trace them. That's why the Conservatives oppose the Federal Gun Registry.

The editorial also said that if ever PM Paul Martin gets re-elected, and he succeeds in banning handguns, rifles will be next.

isuzu
12-09-2005, 23:13
Just saw a stand up comic on TV. His topic was about guns being outlawed in Canada. The story goes this way:

"The private US citizen has more fireams than the Canadian military."

Canadians and Americans are discussing the war in Iraq and the American asks the Canadian, "why didn't you join the war in Iraq?"

The Canadian snaps back: "You need firearms to go to Iraq, do you?"

Another stand up comic hits at the sorry state of the Canadian military, which was a force to reckon with during the WWII:

"The Canadian Navy has only three submarines. One caught fire, one won't run, and the third one is in Edmonton mall.";f

Seriously speaking, as to why the US and Canada are having this some sort of friction is because of the liberal government. Prior to going into Iraq, Pres. Bush asked the former PM Jean Chretien, also a liberal, on what they could contribute to the effort in Iraq. Chretien told Bush bluntly that they wouldn't get involved in Iraq. Many people here thought that what Canada could have done was to send ships to the area on a supportive role at the start of the war.

This escalated into the softwood lumber dispute, the banning of beef from Canada because of a case of BSE (which was subsequently lifted), and the refusal of the US to sign the Kyoto accord.

isuzu
12-10-2005, 00:15
Originally posted by Alexii
Hello isuzu-- I read somewhere in recent past that there is an organized group of illegal gun owners in Canada. They even have an acronym (can't remember) and continually taunts the Canadian government. Does this group still exist?

Yes, but I can't recall their name. They are against the Federal Gun Registry and they support the Conservatives.

antediluvianist
12-10-2005, 01:54
Mounties don't need guns (although those revolvers on white lanyards look cool. OO nga pala, they use semi-autos now so no more bottom-of-butt lanyards.) Mounties just order their wolves (every Mountie has a companion wolf, right?) to attack.

theTactician
12-10-2005, 04:37
too bad. i think it would be pretty stupid to ban handguns. if civilians wont have access to handguns then only the criminal elements are the ones left with them..illegally of course.
bad yan...

PMMA97
12-10-2005, 07:43
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Mounties just order their wolves (every Mountie has a companion wolf, right?) to attack.

I have not seen a single wolf in the Canadian Embassies I have visited. ;f

isuzu
12-10-2005, 09:28
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Mounties don't need guns (although those revolvers on white lanyards look cool. OO nga pala, they use semi-autos now so no more bottom-of-butt lanyards.) Mounties just order their wolves (every Mountie has a companion wolf, right?) to attack.

Hahahahaha! Well, four mounties were killed in Mayerthorpe by a man with an illegal HK G3. I think this happened late last year or early this year. After several months of investigations, it's still not clear if the man had a companion, or if he was alone when he killed the mounties. The mounties didn't stand a chance. Imagine, the killer was known to be a violent man, but they only brought their pistols and it was found out that one shotgun was still locked in the patrol car.

vega
12-12-2005, 00:32
Originally posted by isuzu
, it's still not clear if the man had a companion, or if he was alone when he killed the mounties.
Well if he has a companion, the mountie always gets his man.

vega

horge
12-12-2005, 15:22
re Canada:

Are there many gun shops in the Toronto area?
Is it true there's a barrel-length minimum for handguns?
What's the deal on firearm purchases (cost, time, paper chase)?
Armscor firearms/ammo available there?


Thanks :)

isuzu
12-12-2005, 20:27
Originally posted by horge
re Canada:

Are there many gun shops in the Toronto area?
Is it true there's a barrel-length minimum for handguns?
What's the deal on firearm purchases (cost, time, paper chase)?
Armscor firearms/ammo available there?


Thanks :)

Hi Horge!

I am not from the Toronto area. I was dismayed when I went to a gun store here. In fact, our gunstores in the Philippines are BETTER STOCKED than the gunstores here. Gunstores here look like a joke. It's the illegal guns that are on the streets.

Yes, there is a barrel length minimum for handguns. Glock 19s or handguns with the same barrel length or lower are not allowed here; but law enforcement officers can use them.

Firearms prices are almost double compared to the prices in the US. Same with accessories and reloading components.

You have to take written exams on both Restricted (all revolvers and pistols, as well as assault-type weapons) and Non-restricted (bolt action rifles - hunting rifles, SKS, M1A, Garands, and shotguns) weapons. It takes about eight months for your license to arrive, I was told.

You don't need to have a permit to transport for non-restricted firearms as long as they have a trigger lock and a gun case. Ammo should be secured.

Now, here comes the interesting part. You have to have a permit to transport for Restricted firearms. Restricted firearms need to have a trigger lock, a lockable case for the weapon, and a lockable case for the ammo. If you get checked and you miss any one lock, your license could be revoked, and you have to turn in your guns. Hollow point pistol ammo is not also allowed. You could hunt with a handgun in the States, but not here.

Haven't seen Armscor ammo here. I went to a "very big" gunshow here, and it's not even a fifth of the gunshows there. I felt I just wasted money. I won't even go the next gunshow. I'd rather go to the carshow in the Spring.

I've attended a club shoot, and there were about 10 who attended. Provincial matches, 50, maybe.