CRT or Flatpanel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CRT or Flatpanel

jack19512
12-09-2005, 18:49
I was trying to think of what to get my son for Christmas this year and read another poster's comment about CRT monitor Vs flat panel. My son enjoys his video games and I wanted to get others opinions as to whether a flat panel is that much better than a CRT monitor when it comes to video games. Thanks

epsylum
12-09-2005, 18:59
CRTs generally have higher resolutions. Flat panels are nice for space savings, but for all out image quality, nothing beats a CRT IMO (although they are big and bulky).

Altaris
12-09-2005, 19:00
CRT is better quality than basic flat panel, especially since a lot of the flat panels are analog quality(as opposed to digital)

It took me a month or so to get use to my first flat panel, however the amount of space I save using it is more of a benefit then the lesser quality to me(for the record I got a really cheap flat panel too).

If you were to go with a higher quality digital flat panel or LCD tv (make sure you have a dvi output on your video card), then I would pick that hands down over a CRT any day of the week.

Not many people get CRT's anymore. I have been doing computer sales since the start of July, and I think I have sold 2 CRTs the entire time I have been here.

David_G17
12-09-2005, 19:00
Originally posted by jack19512
...My son enjoys his video games and I wanted to get others opinions as to whether a flat panel is that much better than a CRT monitor when it comes to video games. Thanks

from what i've read, that is exactly the scenario in which you want a CRT. you may want to research "ghosting" on LCD's before buying.

Altaris
12-09-2005, 19:02
Originally posted by David_G17
from what i've read, that is exactly the scenario in which you want a CRT. you may want to research "ghosting" on LCD's before buying.

+1

some flat panels do have issues with that, so I agree, look at what one you are getting before you buy it.

epsylum
12-09-2005, 19:03
As for a CRT, I have been VERY satisfied with my Viewsonic E90fb. 19" flat screen CRT monitor and looks great. I think they go for about $250 if I am not mistaken.

HAVOC
12-10-2005, 00:40
If ~ACTION~ gaming (Quake4, Doom3, HALO2, Half-Life2) is the primary use, you definitely want a CRT. Anytime there are objects moving quickly across the field of view, an LCD will ghost. (Turn on pointer trails in your mouse properties for an exagerated example of this.)

The new low response time LCDs narrow the gap, and I've seen some reports that say the newest 2ms and 3ms LCDs eliminate the problem completely. I'm sure they'll sell for the same price as the older models, too... The earliest model "fast" LCDs made some concessions in color quality vs. more conventional types, but I haven't seen anything about that still being the case or not.

If games like EverQuest, (World of) Warcraft or The Sims are the main use, then LCDs are less problematic. The only real trouble arises when a game doesn't like playing at the LCDs native resolution, either because of innate programming issues (Homeworld 2 can't be set to 1280x1024, for example) or because the grahics hardware can't push enough pixels to fill the screen, then you wind up with a scaled image, which generally looks crappy, or black bands around the picture (like a letterbox DVD).

Then of course there is cost... while price has come down of late, an LCD will run 2x or more for the same screen area. And while cheap CRTs tend to be perfectly functional, the newer, and more complex nature of LCDs makes QC issues more obvious. If you go LCD, spend the money for a good name. Samsung, Viewsonic, or even some PC manufacturers like Dell or HP are very likey worth the name premium.

If the negatives associated with an LCD aren't a problem, then by all means go for it. The are definitely more compact, and don't make nearly as much heat. Both of which are handy for multi-monitor setups. Depending on where they sit, they may look better. More chic of course...

Here's (http://www.dansdata.com/gz021.htm) a good article about LCD vs. CRT. It's a bit old, so some of it isn't entirely accurate, but the information is good.

For the inveterate gamer, at least one who has a good monitor already, a new video card may well provide a better quality increase than a monitor change. Just something to think about...

HAVOC
12-10-2005, 00:55
Originally posted by Altaris
CRT is better quality than basic flat panel, especially since a lot of the flat panels are analog quality(as opposed to digital)

It took me a month or so to get use to my first flat panel, however the amount of space I save using it is more of a benefit then the lesser quality to me(for the record I got a really cheap flat panel too).

If you were to go with a higher quality digital flat panel or LCD tv (make sure you have a dvi output on your video card), then I would pick that hands down over a CRT any day of the week.

Not many people get CRT's anymore. I have been doing computer sales since the start of July, and I think I have sold 2 CRTs the entire time I have been here.

Your low quality picture could be caused by not running at the panels native resolution, or the fact it's a cheap monitor. I have a Samsung analog-only panel that looks perfect. I also have a ViewSonic that will do DVI and analog, and I really can't tell one input from another looking at the screen.

RaiderRodney
12-12-2005, 06:00
Originally posted by epsylum
CRTs generally have higher resolutions. Flat panels are nice for space savings, but for all out image quality, nothing beats a CRT IMO (although they are big and bulky).

I agree ;)