Afternoon Ride [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Ride

BikerRN
12-09-2005, 22:51
This afternoon I went for a nice 60 mile ride through the twisties. I wish I had taken the camera, the desert was great in the late afternoon sun.

I left Tucson, where the wife and I are for the next week, and rode out to Colossal Cave. It takes you through the foothills of the Rincon Mountains. Nice long sweepers and not much traffic. If anyone ever gets to Tucson take a ride out to Colossal Cave, it's worth the trip.

Another good ride is up Mount Lemon. One of these days I will have to take the camera out on some of my rides. Sorry I didn't do it this trip. The camera is at home in the desk drawer. :(

Take care all ride safe and have a Happy Holiday Season. :)

whogasak47
12-10-2005, 19:44
Go to a Store and get one of the 3 packs of Fugi Underwater /w flash.
Some of the Things you see ,First of all are unbeliveabe to you and anyone ele who sees shot. Cheap and will document some of the strangest stuff I and YOU have ever seen. Leave the Nikon at home . I promise
you in 90 days You will be a believer. Keep one in auto/Golf bag/boat
ect. also. Merry Christmas and HNY Good Luck and Ride Safe.

Three-Five-Seven
12-15-2005, 08:34
Uh, we don't ride up to Mt. Lemon at this time of year. We strive to stay under 3000 feet in the winter.

However, we do ride to Tombstone, Ajo, San Diego, Las Vegas, Bisbee, Arivaca, Globe, Tortilla Flats, and Casa Grand for the toy parade.

You really owe it to yourself to ride over to Kartchner Caverns. You have to have a reservation, but it's worth the trouble.

We rode out to the M/C expo in Long Beach this weekend and had a great ride. 1000 miles round trip. The weather was perfect. Had to run the electrics in the morning, but had it all off by afternoon.

Keep the shiny side up.

BikerRN
12-15-2005, 14:11
I grew up in Tucson, and Mt Lemon is still a good ride this time of year. Just be ready to be cold and pack some warm gear for the top. Take care and keep the shiny side up. :)

BikerRN
12-16-2005, 03:20
I just did a ride this afternoon out Colossal Cave Road and then over to Vail. If anyone gets to Tucson you really need to try this route.

It was nice to hook up with an old friend and go ride while the wife was out doing her thing at one of the malls. I will miss Tucson until we come back again. My friend was riding a 1000 Yamaha crotch rocket, don't know which one I'm not up on sportbikes.

It's a 50 MPH road with suggested curves at 35. Of course we were doing 50-75 MPH and weren't even trying. It was really enjoyable and the only problem I had was keeping up on the straights. My litte 620 can hold it's own in the twisties unless he wanted to start dragging knees, and niether one of us is willing to do that on the street.

Well, we will see where life takes us next, the wife and I. I'm leaning towards LA, VA, or NC. Take care and Happy Holidays.

fnfalman
12-16-2005, 09:27
Well, NC has the Deal's Gap. Go tame that dragon, BikerRN!

BikerRN
12-16-2005, 17:00
True that NC has the Dragon. But the Natchez Trace is nice too. :)

Texas T
12-16-2005, 17:59
Originally posted by Three-Five-Seven
You really owe it to yourself to ride over to Kartchner Caverns. +1
Also, the one way road through the Saguaro Nat'l Monument (east) at the base of the Rincons is a very technical ride if you choose to ride it hard. It's where I crashed my KZ650 some ummmm... 25 years ago but I was being stupid.

BikerRN
12-18-2005, 01:08
TexasT

Do you mean through the East Monument itself? You can't get any speed up there because of the Park Rangers, plus you have to pay to use the dang road. :(

Colossal Cave road is also known as Old Spanish Trail, and that's the one we rode. Only slipped in one corner, and that was at a cattle-guard. My Buddy on his R1 braked hard before the cattle-guard, I did the opposite and didn't touch the brake or throttle. I felt the rearend slip a little as I went over it, of course I was leaned over a little taking the corner at 50-60. The recommended speed is 35. HA HA!

Anyway, I got traction again real quick so no problemo'. I didn't want to use the brakes or let off the gas because I didn't want to upset the suspension. It was all good. Take care and ride safe.

Texas T
12-19-2005, 19:34
Originally posted by BikerRN
TexasT

Do you mean through the East Monument itself? You can't get any speed up there because of the Park Rangers, plus you have to pay to use the dang road. :( That shows you how long I've been away. :( :)

That road and River Road over on the NW side of town were my two favorite places to play. I don't ever recall taking the bike up Mt Lemmon.

BikerRN
12-20-2005, 00:56
River Road was good, but too much construction in the River/Dodge area. Also, lots of sand in the corners. I tend to avoid River Road when I'm in Tucson because of the mid-corner obstacles, like sand and gravel. Other than that it would be a great road.

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year. :)