Recomend a video card [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a video card

Specks
12-10-2005, 12:27
While back I asked for some help with my video card. That threaad can be found HERE (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=446083).

I've decided to look into getting a new card. I'm pretty partial to nvidia mainly due to their support for good linux drivers (my system is dual boot, windows XP Pro and Gentoo Linux).

I'm not looking for a top-of-the-line card, but not a budget either card. I currently have a MSI manufactured Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT and would like to something of equal or greater ability.

What do you suggest?

Oh yeah, no PCI Express, as my motherboard doesn't support it.

HAVOC
12-10-2005, 13:17
If gaming is your thing, replacing any GF5 series card is a good thing anyway... they were pretty much a pothole in the GPU road. Thankfully they figured that out quickly, the GF6 series is very, very good.

How much you looking to spend?

In all but the lowest price ranges (where Nvidia is still fielding GF5 and GF4mx chips), Nvidia is offering better performance than ATi.

New AGP cards are rapidly dwindling to the low end. You can step up the the 6800GT at the top.

Anything in the ATi 9600/X600 range should run about on par with the 5900 in most cases. 9700/9800, X700 and X800 pretty much blow it into the weeds.

Most of the GF6 line, even the lowly 6600 should easily match up, and the 6800 and 6800GT will have it's head on a pike.

With the GF7 series out for a while now, and I haven't seen any of them in AGP, this may be the end of decent cards in AGP, and I'm not sure and significant price cuts are forthcoming.

If you're looking to upgrade to a card that can keep up with your system til it's out of life, step up to the pump and pick up the 6800GT.

Otherwise, I'd take a stop back to about $125 and pick up a Radeon 9800Pro ot GeForce 6600GT.

Specks
12-10-2005, 13:44
I'm looking to spend no more than $200.

Any manufacturers you would stay away from or suggest?

Washington,D.C.
12-10-2005, 16:32
Stick with Nvidia for Linux.The 6600(GT) is an excellent choice for the price.ATI doesn't always work well with Linux.BFG Technologies makes good stuff.Gainward might be the best but a bit pricey.

fastvfr
12-12-2005, 18:13
I found a Gigabyte 6800GT for less than $300 awhile back at ZipZoomFly.

They also make a 6600GT that is lots faster than your FX card and in your price range. Fair warranty and good support, so I went for it. And I'm glad I did!

Trsnrtr
12-12-2005, 18:46
I don't know poop about video cards, but I've got an Nvidia 6600GT that I'm using with Linux that works well. I've played RTCW, Quake 3, Doom 3, and Quake 4 on my Linux box with that card with no problems.

David_G17
12-12-2005, 18:59
6800GT works fine with linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Specks
12-12-2005, 23:55
I decided to go with a 6600GT from newegg.com - with shipping and after a $30 mail in rebate it will cost $148. I was a little reluctant to go with the MSI card as my current one is built by them, but I thought I'd give them another try as this card had almost 200 reviews and an average score of 5 out of 5. With that many reviews that are good, I don't think I can go wrong.

nickg
12-13-2005, 14:20
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Stick with Nvidia for Linux.The 6600(GT) is an excellent choice for the price.ATI doesn't always work well with Linux.BFG Technologies makes good stuff.Gainward might be the best but a bit pricey.

i've been looking a video cards to use with Linux just because my system's video is part of the motherboard and i'd like to get away from that with a separate card.

from what i've seen nVidia has it over ATI for Linux support. i'd like to get a 256mb card (PCI) without spending too much money so i'm still looking. i've seen some that would probably fit the bill at less than $100 but they were only 128mb.

and by the way, i'm enjoying my Linspire so far (just installed it a week ago). still learning how it runs but if i can wean myself off of Windows, then all the better. :)

took me a while to get my printer working and i had to return an optical mouse i bought in exchange for an MS that would work, and it does no problem.

still trying to get all of my email set up properly so it all comes to my Linspire mailbox too.

but the CNR function is a nice feature in Linspire for downloading new programs.

Specks
12-13-2005, 14:29
Originally posted by nickg
from what i've seen nVidia has it over ATI for Linux support. i'd like to get a 256mb card (PCI) without spending too much money so i'm still looking. i've seen some that would probably fit the bill at less than $100 but they were only 128mb.

That has been my experience as well. I've even heard that ATI's Windows drivers have much to be desired.

m2hmghb
12-15-2005, 19:04
The radeon drivers suck as do the dell radeon drivers. I run omega drivers on my laptop. I wont buy another laptop for games or a radeon card again. Just my 2 cents

Washington,D.C.
12-15-2005, 21:07
Originally posted by nickg
i've been looking a video cards to use with Linux just because my system's video is part of the motherboard and i'd like to get away from that with a separate card.

and by the way, i'm enjoying my Linspire so far (just installed it a week ago). still learning how it runs but if i can wean myself off of Windows, then all the better. :)

took me a while to get my printer working and i had to return an optical mouse i bought in exchange for an MS that would work, and it does no problem.

still trying to get all of my email set up properly so it all comes to my Linspire mailbox too.

but the CNR function is a nice feature in Linspire for downloading new programs.

It's very difficult if not impossible to use 3d drivers in Linuix with a PCI card.No way an ATI PCI card will work in 3d in Linux.It might be possible with a PCI Nvidia card.There are now different Linux drivers for older(Gforce4 and older) Nvidia cards and another Linux driver that will only work with the newer Nvidia cards.The Linspire Nvidia driver might only work with the older cards.If you know how to install them directly from Nvidia,the current driver for older Nvidia cards is 7174 and for newer Nvidia cards the driver is 7676.

Washington,D.C.
12-15-2005, 21:18
For 3d video in Linux I prefer to use an older Nvidia card.It's still better than most onboard video's.You won't need a super graphics card for Linux,even with Linux 3d games.You might want a better(newer?) card for Windows but I think it only makes a difference with the latest Windows games.What version of Linspire and what motherboard are you using?