HDTV help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV help

Altaris
12-10-2005, 19:47
There is no TV forum, but I figure some of you would be the best to ask.

I am looking to get a 42in or bigger HDTV(DLP or Plasma) and was looking for some advice on those that may already have one. I can go up to a little over $3000 if needed, but I would prefer not to spend that much.

I haven't had to buy a TV in so long that I don't know what all is good and what is not. I have heard different things on whether DLP or Plasmas are better, and which brands are better, but most of the sources are people I wouldn't rely on.

nickg
12-12-2005, 10:09
http://www.avsforum.com/

like any other forum, you will see many differing opinions. but you'll get good info there.

some things to remember:

how big is your room
how much do you want to spend
what features are you looking for
and after looking at a lot of tvs, what looks good to YOU with all of the above things considered.

if i had the money i would buy the new 60" Sony SXRD tv. but i don't have an extra $5K laying around.

thonl
12-12-2005, 11:34
It had been a few years since I bought my 65" Mitsubishi Rear Projection, so when my dad wanted a new TV last summer, I did a bunch of research for him, and we ended up spending about $1600 on a 46" Samsung DLP rear projection.

DLP is nice, since it is a single light source, so there are no convergance issues that you get with traditional CRT based RP sets. Also, burn in from a static image on the screen is not a factor.

About the only drawback is that the lamps are like any light bulb, going to burn out eventually(I think his was rated at over 10,000 hours) and are a little on the expensive side to replace at over $300