Just how scary is a full Format these days? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just how scary is a full Format these days?

BilltheCat
12-11-2005, 13:25
I know I need to get all the reg numbers copied, all passwords copied, all needed documents or software backed up, all cd's found, instructions found for the wireless and passcodes and setups and such. Internet user name and password that I never have to use but has to be right.

what else should I do before hand? two yrs is enough without a clean start I think. I bet it will make a lot of difference in the speed.

advice?
P.S. I use Win XP Pro version 2

Bronson7
12-12-2005, 10:01
Don't forget cookies, favorites and address book(s). As a side note, once you save all that you want, do a virus scan on it on a buddy's current rig , to minimize a possible re-infection of your fresh install.
Bronson7

David_G17
12-12-2005, 11:51
if you use outlook or an email client, back up your e-mail.

Blitzer
12-12-2005, 12:11
I suggest making a backup of your stuff on CDs or DVDs with Nero or RoXio.

Do you have new cards or USB/printer port devices installed/added? Have thier drivers disks too.

Ditto on Emails, email/browser address book & shortcuts/favorites, cookies, etc. If you use Netscape getting password file etc, etc, etc...

You will need to re-download all the Windows & IE Explorer/Netscape/etc updates and security patches...

...And on so on and so on and dubbie dubbie dubbie! ;) ;P ;g

Creeper1313
12-16-2005, 15:24
When it comes to backing up stuff, my 100GB external USB hard drive was the best $99 I've spent. Beats burning, burning, burning.

Bronson7
12-16-2005, 15:47
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Fbackup2.asp
I forgot to mention, XP has a nifty back-up utility. The above link shows you how to retrieve it from your XP cd and use it. ++++++++1 on what Creeper said.
Bronson7

funbob
12-17-2005, 18:25
This is a situation where 2 hard drives come in handy. Anything I don't want to lose in a reformat is saved to the storage drive. Just before I do the actual reformat, I'll go and download all the latest drivers, program updates, and anything else I'll need. Your computer will feel much faster, I reformat a few times a year.

PDogSniper
12-19-2005, 02:46
Originally posted by Creeper1313
When it comes to backing up stuff, my 100GB external USB hard drive was the best $99 I've spent. Beats burning, burning, burning.

How do I install a external hard drive and what do I need? I've been stalling it for a long time. I loaded a registry fix and it helped bunches but...?

I'm like Bill, I need to start over also but from all my experiencs in the past wouldn't it make more sense to write zeros to the hard drive and then reload everything...? In case there's a deeply buried trojan somewhere...?

I mean, if you're going to loose data you might as well loose it good...;g

mitchshrader
12-19-2005, 07:11
s'cheaper to keep 'er.

that said, if you havn't tech skills or help, the format is a shortcut to a fresh start.

my HEARTIEST advice is replace everything at once, if you're formatting. stick in a new hard drive, as replacement, do the OS install. shut down, add the old hard drive as a slave (backup drive)..

and then do all your tweaks on the new install.

remember, anything you NEED is on that original drive. but virii, etc, will not run, cause it's not the OS drive.

you can install/update your virus scanner, search the old drive, and get stuff out that wouldn't otherwise be removeable.

ymmv, but when ready to format, don't JUST format. use that as the excuse to inventory and tidy and organize the whole system. it never gets easier.

Creeper1313
12-19-2005, 07:44
Originally posted by PDogSniper
How do I install a external hard drive and what do I need? I've been stalling it for a long time. I loaded a registry fix and it helped bunches but...?

I'm like Bill, I need to start over also but from all my experiencs in the past wouldn't it make more sense to write zeros to the hard drive and then reload everything...? In case there's a deeply buried trojan somewhere...?

I mean, if you're going to loose data you might as well loose it good...;g

An external USB hard drive just plugs into any availible USB port and is ready to go without any installation. Think of it as a really big thumb/flash drive.

I only backup media files (photos, images, music, movies, etc) and documents, not programs, so carrying over a trojan/spyware (that usually live in your browser or OS is unlikely. Viruses can live in data files themselves, but if you have a good virus scanner, you should've been protecting yourself from this.

When it comes to your programs, as Bill said, make sure you have all your registration codes and CDs handy for re-installing. As in, printed on paper if they are not on the CD cases of the programs themselves. Make sure you have your OS install CD and a working registration key as well (most important for a reformat!). Also, if you have Windows XP, within a few weeks of your reformat, you may need to get your internet connection working (which you'll be doing anyway to get back to GT ;f) so you can connect to Microsoft to confirm your copy is legit.

Other things that I always make sure to backup are plug-ins for Photoshop/Paintshop (don't have CDs for those.. *wink wink*). I also keep the savegame files for any games I'm still playing (the game itself can be re-installed).