Web Cam Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Web Cam Questions

newshooter.45
12-11-2005, 20:02
I was thinking of getting a web cam for my parents and I. I think they would appreciate the gift for christmas as we talk on the phone frequently. My father is pretty tech savy and could certainly handle it. Does anyone here use one frequently? What should I look for in a web cam? Any special programs or functions that are useful? Recommendations with some specific reasons would be really helpful. Thanks folks.

Toyman
12-12-2005, 09:15
I know a little about them having written video chat software. Make sure you get a CCD sensor and not a CMOS sensor - they suck. I like the Logitech Quick Cam Pros - both for quality and compatibility. Usually you get what you pay for when it comes to the cams, You probably won't find a decent one under $60.

Bronson7
12-12-2005, 09:48
I video cam on a regular basis with my wife, friends, children and grandchildren, who are all living out of state. I'm using a cheapy logitech which has served me well for several years. MSN Messenger is the software I use and it's usually pretty reliable and user friendly. Most problems related to video camming that I've experienced are caused by firewalls and connect speeds. Ideally, it works best when both parties are connected via high-speed internet. I have dial-up, so it's a bit choppy and can get pretty pixelated at times along with a lag. but it's still well worth using. My grandkids get a big kick out of it. Using a headset works best. Just keep in mind, the faster the connection, the better it works. Close all apps when using it, as it's cpu intensive. I would get one of the upper end cams like Toyman suggested. Do a search on them and read some reviews. I read about the best rated model a while back but can't remember the brand. It ran around 100 bucks, but a fairly decent one can be had for less.
Bronson7

newshooter.45
12-12-2005, 20:56
Thanks. My folks and I each have high speed connections so I'm glad I don't need to worry about that. I just want a really high quality picture, comparable to watching cable tv. I'm not finding too much info as far as reviews but it must mean I just haven't searched the right combo of entries yet. Thanks for your replies!

JKG
12-12-2005, 21:06
http://reviews.search.com/search?q=web+cam&nodeid=5&format=customlayout&channel=54&cat=312&mode=products&allfields=0&k=68817982&ob=7eRating