9mm ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm ammo

Pepe308
12-11-2005, 20:57
Just planning to try on 9mm, asking anybody what's their preferred bullet weight and type on their 9mms. Thanks in advance.

batangueno
12-11-2005, 21:03
For competition, 124gr fmj.

jundeleon
12-11-2005, 22:55
115 grain +P corbon hollowpoint, light and fast

bulm540
12-11-2005, 22:59
IN production here , 147s

darwin25
12-11-2005, 23:07
Always preferred 115 grs. +p. But since budget would not allow for imported premium ammo. I first settled with S&B JHP, then I tried Twin Pines Silver Bullets 115 grs. with 100% reliability thru more than 400 rounds so far. Will also try Tactical Edge XTP loaded rounds when I come accross it. Sana lang may 115 grs +p sila.

Pepe308
12-12-2005, 05:00
Originally posted by darwin25
Always preferred 115 grs. +p. But since budget would not allow for imported premium ammo. I first settled with S&B JHP, then I tried Twin Pines Silver Bullets 115 grs. with 100% reliability thru more than 400 rounds so far. Will also try Tactical Edge XTP loaded rounds when I come accross it. Sana lang may 115 grs +p sila.

I guess you are more or less aware where I'm going to with this inquiries... .

Django
12-12-2005, 05:36
Originally posted by jundeleon
115 grain +P corbon hollowpoint, light and fast

+1.

jundeleon
12-12-2005, 20:50
According to one gun magazine, Fiocci ammo are loaded to +p specs, particularly their NATO 9mm, 124 grain rounds, even though these are labeled as standard pressure rounds.

darwin25
12-12-2005, 20:59
Originally posted by jundeleon
According to one gun magazine, Fiocci ammo are loaded to +p specs, particularly their NATO 9mm, 124 grain rounds, even though these are labeled as standard pressure rounds.

This is because european manufactured ammos follow the CIP standard and not the SAAMI. CIP standard ammo are loaded hotter than the SAAMI. So S&B and Fiocchi are actually +P although they are standard loads conforming to CIP standard

isuzu
12-12-2005, 21:24
For feed reliability, I'll go with the 124 gr Federal Hydra Shok, the Golden Saber, and the 115 gr Silvertip. For FMJ, I'd choose either 115 or 124 gr IMI, the 124 gr GECO and 124 gr Hungarian ammo in white boxes, packed 25 rds each.

Pepe308
12-14-2005, 11:44
Noted guys. Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. Just in case you'd like to ask what brand of 9mm I'm about to try, its the NZ85. Lakas manghatak ni Darwin eh, hehe, kaya sana ibigay na bonus ko!!! Kidding aside, I already saw his new piece, though did not fired it, like it really with the forged steel blues Norincos are famous for (except for their Sig clones). Hope to see you guys on the Christmas party... .

New_comer
12-14-2005, 19:45
Originally posted by Pepe308
... Kidding aside, I already saw his new piece, though did not fired it, like it really with the forged steel blues Norincos are famous for (except for their Sig clones). Hope to see you guys on the Christmas party... . Why?

What's with the Norc Sigs? Di ba forged mga yun?

darwin25
12-14-2005, 19:54
Originally posted by New_comer
Why?

What's with the Norc Sigs? Di ba forged mga yun?

The slides yes, frame is made of alloy. BTW ang kapal ng bakal sa frame ng NZ-85. Halos doble yung kapal sa frames ng 1911 nila. Or is this common with the CZ pattern guns? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

New_comer
12-14-2005, 20:38
The slides yes, frame is made of alloy. BTW ang kapal ng bakal sa frame ng NZ-85. Halos doble yung kapal sa frames ng 1911 nila. Or is this common with the CZ pattern guns? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe it was designed as such to maintain overall balance; otherwise baka maging grip heavy resulting to undesirable increase in muzzle flip when shooting.

In response to the original question, I maintain two magfuls of Fiocchi 115gr and 147gr FMJHP's, and 'roll my own' using the 124 gr Gold Dot slugs I bought from Hahn loaded major. :cool:

Pepe308
12-14-2005, 22:23
The slides yes, frame is made of alloy. BTW ang kapal ng bakal sa frame ng NZ-85. Halos doble yung kapal sa frames ng 1911 nila. Or is this common with the CZ pattern guns? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

And since its made of alloy, expect it to be lightweight. lighter than their NZ and 1911 cousins that is. Katuwa, parang pellet gun sa gaang! :)

Pepe308
12-29-2005, 22:09
Originally posted by batangueno
For competition, 124gr fmj.

Just curious sir, why 124? Is this the standard load for a 9mm? (like the orig. 230gr. for a .45) coz Bulm uses 147? If I'm on to the "break-in" period of my 9mm what would you recommend? SOrry for being a greenhorn and I'm used to a 230gr. only... .

isuzu
12-29-2005, 23:25

I think Twin Pines sell 115gr XTP that they load. Not sure if they're loaded +P, though.

toxic
01-01-2006, 04:29
Just curious sir, why 124? Is this the standard load for a 9mm? (like the orig. 230gr. for a .45) coz Bulm uses 147? If I'm on to the "break-in" period of my 9mm what would you recommend? SOrry for being a greenhorn and I'm used to a 230gr. only... .

Lets admit it, most of the guns (if not all) out there are marketed/intended for the American public, since they are backed up with their second ammendment sila pinakamalaking market in the world , a small percentage of guns being produced go elsewhere: Asia, Africa and some countries in europe.

In the US all product has to pass certain standards before you see it in stores , which is for consumer and manufacturers protection.
MAHILIG KASE SILA SA DEMANDA.

In the US of A (ANSI)American National Standards institute is the so called agency for Standardization of consumer products.
(SAAMI)Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute is the accredited standard developer for Guns and Ammunitions and other gun related products and CIP is its counterpart in Europe.(as Darwin 25 also mentioned in his post).

Here is what SAAMI do:
The primary work of SAAMI is done by its Technical Committee in the setting of industry standards. Product standards for firearms and ammunition are developed by two Product Standards Task Forces, one for ammunition and one for firearms. Recommendations of the task forces are submitted for review by the entire Technical Committee. Other key areas of technical expertise and standardization include pressure measurement, muzzle loading, and working toward universal, internationally recognized standards by working with the Commission Internationale Permanente (CIP). In Europe, proof houses or testing facilities for firearms and ammunition, have set European standards since the 1800s. The CIP is an international association of proof houses. By working together, the CIP and SAAMI are working towards the development of international standards.

SAAMI,ANSI also work with ATF, environmental agencies and transfortation agencies on the standardization of guns and ammo products for exporting and importing naman.

Conclusion SAAMI/CIP requires Guns and Ammo product manufacturers to abide with the standards they set again for consumer protection and the Protection of the manufacturers in any liability/ies.
For 9mm 124g probably is the standard load SAAMI/CIP have approved.
and 230gr for .45cal its just my wild guess.

Check the manual of your 9mm and also your .45 pistol , you will see there the "Use only yadiyadah gr on this PISTOL" otherwise any accident or damage to your pistol will void the warranty.

It would be wise to follow the OFM pistol manual cuz im sure they had spend lots of time and money to test thier products. Experimenting on loads is also good , thats our right as a consumer, just make sure you have your loads done by a reputable loader. Now if you are loading or will be doing your own load, there are books and expert loaders you can talk to with regard to the proper loads and equipment.

Mahaba na to for me 115gr,124gr,125gr lead heads for practice, 124gr fmj in comps lead/fmj and 124gr hp for carry.

For Break in : always Full metal jacket 124gr min 200 rounds then again check your Pistol manual

sigglockfan
01-02-2006, 21:47
guys, where to buy them locally? i only know twin pines but they only carry armscor and couldn't remember the other brand.

winchester?, silver tip or black talon ba yun! just heard it when i was still growing up and knows nothing about ammos before

i'll be feeding this to a g19

thanks a lot bog 'ers!:)

Pepe308
01-03-2006, 21:27
To sir Toxic: Thank you sir, that was very informative. :)

casmot
01-03-2006, 23:03
Originally posted by sigglockfan
guys, where to buy them locally? i only know twin pines but they only carry armscor and couldn't remember the other brand.

winchester?, silver tip or black talon ba yun! just heard it when i was still growing up and knows nothing about ammos before

PB Dionisio, True Weight, etc. Check the gunstore sticky, most of them would have different kinds/brands of ammo. Except for the Black Talon, which has been banned.

batangueno
01-03-2006, 23:32
I believe the Black Talon is the Winchester Ranger SXT now. I saw some available at Stronghand.

sigglockfan
01-04-2006, 02:24
ey thanks batangueño and casmot! i thought so, the winchester sxt looks the same with the black talon. i thought they were banned and prohibited

isuzu
01-04-2006, 18:19
Originally posted by sigglockfan

i'll be feeding this to a g19

thanks a lot bog 'ers!:)

Try looking at Nashe Enterprises. They used to carry Cor-Bons, Hydra-Shoks, Silvertips and IMI when I was still in the Philippines. Before I left the Philippines, I went to their Bacolod branch, and they had Powrballs for sale.

flickserve
01-09-2006, 21:44
I have some stocks of 9mm ammo for sale.

I have mostly FMJ's. IMI, Federal, some Remington.

I also have some Corbon +P Hollow Points.

Anybody interested, please PM me.

All these are guaranteed originals.

sigglockfan
01-09-2006, 21:59
Originally posted by isuzu
Try looking at Nashe Enterprises. They used to carry Cor-Bons, Hydra-Shoks, Silvertips and IMI when I was still in the Philippines. Before I left the Philippines, I went to their Bacolod branch, and they had Powrballs for sale.

thanks isuzu, i'll just be dropping by the gun show this weekend para one stop shop

:)

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 20:34
To sir Casmot: You have a CZ right? Any problems encountered with firing pins? Sir Isuzu and other friends of Cebuboy had some,found concrete nails a remedy.

casmot
01-12-2006, 21:24
To sir Casmot: You have a CZ right? Any problems encountered with firing pins? Sir Isuzu and other friends of Cebuboy had some,found concrete nails a remedy.

No problem with the firing pin so far. Shot about +/- 5,000. rnds with it. My problem with my CZ85B is the extractor! During the last Armscor clubshoot (dec30) the extractor pin broke and the extractor and spring flew off.;1 It was lost!;1 So far I haven't found replacement parts locally. PB, out of stock. With Sir Deenoh, their parts has not yet arrived. But Sir deenoh said I can have an extractor when it arrives. I ;W to dino.

I've also e-mailed Ceska Zbrojovka and posted it on CZFORUM. I got positive responses about my problem. Great guys at CZ and CZFORUM, especially Angus Hobdell of Ghostholster (http://www.ghostholster.com). I'm just wait for their reply.

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 21:34
I'd drool over your guns... . Sorry to know that, a real lost and very frustrating. I've bought the Norc clone of the 85 from Deenoh recently. Hopefully, I won't experienced the same with mine.

casmot
01-12-2006, 21:43
I'd drool over your guns... . Sorry to know that, a real lost and very frustrating. I've bought the Norc clone of the 85 from Deenoh recently. Hopefully, I won't experienced the same with mine.

I hope not because a lot of people told me that what happened to my CZ was a freak occurance. Its usually the slide stop that breaks. Anyway, I'm trying to order an extra slide stop, firing pin and spring and extractor and spring.

Happy Shooting.

Pepe308
01-12-2006, 21:55
Do we have after market parts here of CZ? Sir Cebuboy also told me to pack up spare slide stops.

Originally posted by casmot
I hope not because a lot of people told me that what happened to my CZ was a freak occurance. Its usually the slide stop that breaks. Anyway, I'm trying to order an extra slide stop, firing pin and spring and extractor and spring.

Happy Shooting.

cznayr
01-12-2006, 23:18
Rommel,

Is the slide stop of the 9mm 75B interchangeable with the .40 75B? .40 has a steel slide stop, can't imagine how it would break...

casmot
01-13-2006, 10:26
Originally posted by cznayr
Rommel,

Is the slide stop of the 9mm 75B interchangeable with the .40 75B? .40 has a steel slide stop, can't imagine how it would break...

I'm not sure if its interchangable. But I've seen a CZ75 with a broken slide stop. The brother of Doc EC broke his CZ75 slide stop. He used a cut-off drill bit as a temporary slide stop. Even on the CZFORUM and CZshooters.com there a lot of examples of broken slide stop.

Do we have after market parts here of CZ? Sir Cebuboy also told me to pack up spare slide stops.

Locally, I don't think so. In the internet, there's a few. Ghostholster (http://www.ghostholster.com) and Jackash Custom (http://www.jackashcustom.com) to name a couple.

sigglockfan
01-14-2006, 01:52
I believe the Black Talon is the Winchester Ranger SXT now. I saw some available at Stronghand.

got the sxt yesterday, not ranger series though! just the 147 supreme xt! i really miss those black tip talons. it looks better imo

New_comer
01-14-2006, 02:07
Anybody tried the Fiocchi frangible ammo? how does it perform?

Grabe kasi mura at 9 per bullet, at maganda 'daw' pang CQB dahil hindi tatagos sa mga dingding, thus preventing injury due to overpenetration.

Pepe308
01-14-2006, 08:24
Sir Isuzu: Pardon my ignorance.. what does CQB means?

casmot
01-14-2006, 09:18
Sir Isuzu: Pardon my ignorance.. what does CQB means?

Close Quarter Battles

isuzu
01-14-2006, 11:42
Hi Pepe! Casmot saved the day for me:) ! Sorry, I wasn't able to immediately reply to your post. It's 10:40am here, Saturday. Naglaba pa!;f The missus has work. I figure it's 1:40 am Sunday there.

Anyway, did the forum figure out why slide stops break on the CZs? Would an extra power recoil spring solve the problem?

Django
01-14-2006, 19:35
Originally posted by casmot

I recalled when I had to make a hard decision in choosing between a CZ 75 and a Glock 17 early last year toshoot in Production.

A friend in the Philippine Team shooting a CZ told me to get the Glock. It seems that he had encountered numerous part breakages with his CZ that he had to resort to unorhtodox ways of preventing common breakages such as having four slide stops and trigger return springs as spares (which he regularly rotates) and keeping them in his freezer when not in use. ;P All about metallic properties mumbo jumbo on CZ parts which makes them last if frozen for a time. ;g

I chose the Glock 17 despite it being far from perfect. Seems to be the lesser evil of the two. So far so good. :)

casmot
01-14-2006, 22:33
Originally posted by Django
All about metallic properties mumbo jumbo on CZ parts which makes them last if frozen for a time. ;g

I chose the Glock 17 despite it being far from perfect. Seems to be the lesser evil of the two. So far so good. :)

;f frozen in time...

Anyway, did the forum figure out why slide stops break on the CZs? Would an extra power recoil spring solve the problem?

I've stop reading the post about broken slide stops. Different possible reasons were cited but none were definite. Even the CZ representatives, when they went to PB last year(?), just said "dont put oil on the slide stop". For what reason, I don't know.

10mm4ever4
01-14-2006, 23:47
124 grain because its inbetween i guess , and i love the hydrashock's

atmarcella
01-15-2006, 01:42
nashe has 9mm corbon DPX:)

Pepe308
01-15-2006, 08:40
Hi Pepe! Casmot saved the day for me:) ! Sorry, I wasn't able to immediately reply to your post. It's 10:40am here, Saturday. Naglaba pa!;f The missus has work. I figure it's 1:40 am Sunday there.

No problem sir. Sipag ah!!! You beat me on asking that same question, thanks for saving the extra punches on the keyboard, hehehe.

darwin25
01-15-2006, 19:32
Originally posted by Django
I recalled when I had to make a hard decision in choosing between a CZ 75 and a Glock 17 early last year toshoot in Production.

A friend in the Philippine Team shooting a CZ told me to get the Glock. It seems that he had encountered numerous part breakages with his CZ that he had to resort to unorhtodox ways of preventing common breakages such as having four slide stops and trigger return springs as spares (which he regularly rotates) and keeping them in his freezer when not in use. ;P All about metallic properties mumbo jumbo on CZ parts which makes them last if frozen for a time. ;g

Slide stop breakage VS. Breeachface failure...Hmmmm.;g ;1

isuzu
01-15-2006, 20:03
Hi Casmot,

That's kinda weird for CZ reps to say not to put oil on the slide stops. It's a moving part and that thing needs to be oiled, IMHO.

As for Django's friend, what he is probably doing is some sort of cyrogenic treatment. BTW, is there a company that does cyrogenic treatment of metal parts there? I believe that there is at least a company in the US that cyros barrels.

Django
01-16-2006, 06:59
Slide stop breakage VS. Breeachface failure...Hmmmm.;g ;1

Yeah. Read a lot about those Glock breechface failures and saw some pictures of them but never did actually see a real one (I still have to see Homogenizer's breechface failure).

But the CZ slide stop breakage, I did actually see three, two of them in Level 3 matches.

Plus I had a Glock 19 which I already fired around 9,600++ reloads in a span of 4 years without any major glitches. Not bad for a plastic gun which I bought used.

That really tipped the balance in favor of the Glock 17 when I was out shopping for a Production gun.

After 3,600++ rounds thru it, no regrets, so far. :)

Isuzu - What is a cyrogenic treatment?

Eye Cutter
01-16-2006, 07:46

That's kinda weird for CZ reps to say not to put oil on the slide stops. It's a moving part and that thing needs to be oiled, IMHO.

nope. it's true. we met with milan trkulja, cz's marketing rep at pbd in 2004

Pepe308
01-17-2006, 04:58
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
nope. it's true. we met with milan trkulja, cz's marketing rep at pbd in 2004

Ah sir, how do you say/pronounce that name? ^8

Pepe308
01-17-2006, 05:46
[i]Locally, I don't think so. In the internet, there's a few. Ghostholster (http://www.ghostholster.com) and Jackash Custom (http://www.jackashcustom.com) to name a couple. [/B]

Ouch, that's what I'm worried about my NZ in the future-spareparts abundancy... . ;1

batangueno
01-17-2006, 08:40
Ouch, that's what I'm worried about my NZ in the future-spareparts abundancy... . ;1
I'm sure metrillo can always machine a part for your NZ.

Eye Cutter
01-17-2006, 09:38
Milan Trkulja (Turkulya).

casmot
01-17-2006, 10:37
I'm sure metrillo can always machine a part for your NZ.

And I'm sure that Deenoh will provide you with the after sales support on spare parts. If he doesn't have it on stock, he could order it for you.