dsl modem headaches [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : dsl modem headaches

jolt8me
12-13-2005, 00:57
My isp offered me a westell model 2100 modem/router for $100. I thought i could find something better. I have some questions.
1) do all dsl modems offer the same performance?
2)I already have a router and plan on networking 2 computors together to share the internet. Will installing this modem that already has a router cause problems with a router i already plan on installing?
3)can anyone recommend a good dsl modem?

David_G17
12-13-2005, 07:56
i've installed quite a few Westell modems.

only problem i've seen is when someone left a ton of paper covering one and it overheated and died.

Washington,D.C.
12-13-2005, 10:31
I've had DSL for about 5 years.The Westell modem was free if I kept the DSL for at least one year.I still using it.It doesn't have USB,only ethernet and no router.

Now for the funny part which I think Westell has quit doing.The original DSL speed was suppose to be 750Mbit/s max.It was about half that.Along with the modem Westell offered a "program" to increase connection speed for an extra $50.I didn't pay it.About six months later the ISP(phone company) gave me a command/code to send to the modem from my PC.It was infact Westell's "secret" $50 program.It did improve the connection.

Since then the connection has gone to 1.5Mbit/s and now to 3Mbit/s.I'm still using that same Westell modem.Added my own router.If you join Yahoo Freecycle in your area you can "request" or say you are looking for a DSL modem.People moving or switching ISP's give away those modems.