guys from philippines..does any of you use armscor firearms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : guys from philippines..does any of you use armscor firearms?

shotokan99
12-13-2005, 21:39
im interested w/ their m206 38 revolver...guys pls ur inputs

antediluvianist
12-14-2005, 04:34
It's a basic .38 Special revolver, used locally to a great extent by security guards. The guards in a building I have an office in are armed with them. Also, a certain hiway being built will have guards armed with them - because they are relatively inexpensive and the winning bidder (security guard agency) specified them - I believe he specified the price of P8,000 each in his bid.

Am not sure if it's OK for +P .38 cartridges.

Knew a guy who had one, he let me shoot some rounds. Perfectly standard, trigger not like an s&W but of course not. have heard of some stickiness of cartridges in rapid fire, but that might be a function of the cartridges too as i get sticky cartridges in my S&W also (with gunrange ammo).

Go for it. Armscor can always fix it if anything goes wrong. some of those guns with security agencies have been in service for years (probably not shot much though.)

antediluvianist
12-14-2005, 04:38
Incidentally, Shok, does it have to be a revolver? Consider the less expensive .45 and 9mms. in Armscor's catalogue. The 9mms. are basically Tanfoglios, a respectable Italian company which Armscor is affiliated with.

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 17:37
tnx..guys what can you say about their 45? actually i do own one of their 45, g.i. series, 8 rds. i find it too big, tapos parang di ako confident..it might jamm or worst.

fired it w/ several rds..during that time seem ok. just dont know if its really that dependable.

darwin25
12-14-2005, 18:13
Welcome to BOGS. There are lots of people here who own 1 or 2 Armrscor 1911 in different configurations and caliber. Armscor has now gained a respectable credibility for reliability and quality although of course not at par with the high-end manufactureres and custon 1911 gunsmiths. If you dont mind me asking, where are you not comfortable with? The idea of a semi-auto for defense or just with your particular 1911?. If you do not like semi-autos for defense then by all means get a revolver. But just me, I'll get a Taurus if I'm in the market for a cheap revolver. Bring your gun to a good gunsmith first and have it checked. Just as long as you do not require any fancy work on your gun, your pocket will be fine. But if its any consolation, if you're concern is your Armscor 1911 jamming on you, do not fret. Use FMJ Ball and you'll be fine. ;) BTW my daily carry gun is a Norinco 1911 and / or S&W Model 51 .22 magnum revolver. Both are loaded with hollowpoints. Both have been completely reliable so far thru hundreds of different kinds of ammo.

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 18:30
im more concern about the feeding.oh really i never thought armscor is that highly recommended by you guys. actually i got that as brandnew..was influenced by a certain friend.

will you guys recommend it for my daily carry? actually it stays stuck at home but lately im considering to carry it. btw, what do i need to do in order for me to carry it?

i heard there are lots of papers to prepare...and ull be drained by expenses and redtapes...

darwin25
12-14-2005, 18:42
Feeding problem is only of possible reasons for malfunctions. You should also be concerned with the extraction of spent shells, recoil spring load, magazines etc. etc. Take reasonable care and keep your gun springs (all of them) and magazines in top condition. There are less springs in a revolver but you have to keep them in top shape too. Would I recommend it for carry? Better the more knowledgeable BOGs and those with experience with Armscor guns answer that question. But I sure would like to get an RIA .38 super commander for carry.

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 19:04
i guess the most practical carry for me now is 1911..coz i had it already. what do i need to do in order for to carry it legally?

darwin25
12-14-2005, 19:15
Oh BTW. Not to offend anyone but I got enough bad experiences with Armscor revolvers to develop a distaste for them. I did a lot of revolversmithing back when I used guns as tools of my trade. Most of my regular repairs were armscor revolvers. They dont stand up to abuse. Though I doubt if you want to subject your guns to the same abuse I subject my guns back then. I have no idea about their current production though. But they're semi-auto has a good rep.

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 19:18
what really type of torture you've done to your gun?

darwin25
12-14-2005, 19:25
Originally posted by shotokan99
what really type of torture you've done to your gun?

You dont wanna know;) Very few people would appreciate it

isuzu
12-14-2005, 19:36
Hi Darwin!

Does Rock Island Armory now have 38 Super in commander length? I was trying to order from Twin Pines Bacolod before I left, but he staff would always say, "we only make .45s for now." When did it become available? How is the quality of the barrel? Is it ramped? Thanks!

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 19:38
try me..

darwin25
12-14-2005, 19:59
Originally posted by isuzu
Hi Darwin!

Does Rock Island Armory now have 38 Super in commander length? I was trying to order from Twin Pines Bacolod before I left, but he staff would always say, "we only make .45s for now." When did it become available? How is the quality of the barrel? Is it ramped? Thanks!

Yap. 9mm and .38 Super I think. Last time I checked ubos na daw;g Haven't seen one though. Nakita ko lang sa poster nila sa isa nilang subsidiary store 1 year ago before I bought my Norinco commander. Bull barrel I think, and full length recoil guide rod. I have no idea if it is ramped.

shotokan99: forget it.:)

shotokan99
12-14-2005, 20:16
why is it most of the gunstore recommend semi-auto over revolver? does it mean that semi-auto is much better?

horge
12-15-2005, 02:36
why is it most of the gunstore recommend semi-auto over revolver? does it mean that semi-auto is much better?

AFAICT...
Because a magazine pistol brings them more profit than a revolver,
base unit alone. Ancillary purchases like magazines pad the profit further.

My Armscor 1911 is a mite too big for me, but I trust it to peform
when I want it to. My main gripe about Armscors is that they sometimes
come with tight magwells: they'll accept the factory mags alright,
but some third-party mags may wind up feeling fat and unwelcome.

Valor1
12-15-2005, 07:31
Some gunstores will recommend a pistol over a revolver or the other way around due to the plain reason wanting to get rid of excess inventory. Another reason is the salesperson you're talking to simply prefer one gun over the other (revolver vs. pistol). There are a hundred others. The important thing is try to determine the exact purpose or usage of the gun.

As to reliability, have you tried firing your gun at least 300 rounds. You said a few were fired, maybe it hasn't passed the break-in period yet. If it doesn't work the way you want it to, if it's still under warranty, you know what to do next. If not, try looking for a good gunsmith. Problem solved.:)

shotokan99
12-15-2005, 16:55
yes very few i guess that was 8 rds only..it was ok no feeding problem.300 rds..dont know,im not even sure if it can take that punishment. on the other hand, although im more convinced that revolver is more practical compared to pistol ...but what i have is a pistol..as they said learn to love it.

which is more better quality armscor or rock island?

antediluvianist
12-15-2005, 17:08
Well I don't know if this helps, but i went from an armscor 1911, to a Tanfoglio 9mm. (bigger capacity), to a Smith&Wesson revolver (686Plus, 7-shot capacity.)

I hate to clean things, and the revolver needs to be cleaned less than the semiauto . Also you don't have to take it apart every time you fire it.

And frankly, I don't like having failures of any kind - even one in a hundred. Stovepipes etc. occur in semiautos.

RELIABILITY, man. And SIMPLICITY.

As for having less capacity, well I'm not a soldier so 7 shots plus a reloader is plenty.

Personally, i now like revolvers. Very accurate, too.

Maybe buy a second-hand Smith&Wesson?

shotokan99
12-15-2005, 17:25
dont u think its a downgrade..if i switch to 38 revolver?

calcite
12-15-2005, 18:19
I bought an Armscor 206 revolver with the 2&3/4" barrel for my wife last year. It took me 6 months to get the unit but that is a different story.

I was in a hurry when i claimed the unit so I just tested it a few times. The cylinder won't rotate and the gun won't fire. The dealer tried fixing it quickly but not quite good enough. The cylinder would still refuse to turn once in a while. When I had some spare time I completely disassembled the gun, removed all the old gease, oiled and greased(I used moly grease) the unit. Turned out that the gun had been stored for a few years and all the grease had hardened and the small springs couldn't function anymore.

My wife and I have fired more than 200 rounds and it has worked quite well since (except for a couple of misfires). Accuracy is good but we've practiced it for short distances(10-15 feet) only.

This is my wife's HD gun and although it only has 6 rounds, I like it since it is very simple and needs no maintenance. I can leave it loaded for months and it would be good to go in an emergency.

shotokan99
12-15-2005, 19:11
actually i like m206 of armscor...simple. everytime i ask gunstore here on my area they all said that armscor stopped manufacturing revolver. you bought ur 206 for how much?

is it true that armscor already stopped producing revolvers?

antediluvianist
12-16-2005, 03:08
dont u think its a downgrade..if i switch to 38 revolver?

Well, buy a second-hand .357. So you can fire hollowpoint .357s (as good a manstopper as a .45, and in some studies, better), or .38s for cheap practice/plinking/less recoil.

Note also that revolvers don't care what the bullet shape is - some semiautos don't feed hollowpoints too reliably - and you can't limpwrist it.

Incidentally, the .38 round has killed thousands of persons this century. It's enough, but of course not as powerful as your .45 rounds.

But, go with the semiauto if you feel better with one of those. There will always be revolvers that you can buy later in life.

cebuboy
12-16-2005, 03:33

not really so, wheelguns are a different breed:) you got to have one first before you can really appreciate it.

try to ask around for second hand rugers and tauri, they are good guns for the money and they come in .357 magnum. which imho is a very potent manstopper.

Allegra
12-16-2005, 05:03

Definitely , the semi-auto is much better

calcite
12-16-2005, 06:15
I got my wife's Armscor 306 for around P12T + P3T license. I paid last December 2004 and got the unit June 2005. The dealer (in Koronadal City) said that they had some internal organizational problem) which is why it took them so long to get the gun.

I don't know about Armscor having stopped producing revolvers but I still see their revolvers on display at Twin Pines - but mostly the model 202 with the 4" barrel (the 206 comes with the 2&3/4" barrel). Besides almost all security guards carry Armscor revolvers so there is still a demand for it.

Django
12-16-2005, 06:25
If you go thru the 1911 forums, you will see a lot of positive remarks for Armscor and Rock Island Armory 1911 guns which is good for Philippine products. Please visit forum.M1911.org and log into the Charles Daly/Armscor/Rock Island/SAM reference site.

Armscor pistols are very good guns value for money wise. While they are far from perfect, you get decent accuracy, reliability and acceptable finish to boot for a low price.