bullet-scam at NAIA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bullet-scam at NAIA?

antediluvianist
12-14-2005, 06:46
Fellow BOGs, I don't know if the warning below is true or an urban legend, but it is making the rounds on the internet :

Please alert friends or family who might be coming home for Christmas.

Unbelievable!!

With Christmas fast approaching, several enterprising crooks at the NAIA
have cooked up another easy-money scheme to fund their Christmas
shopping. A bullet or two is slipped inside bags with outside zippers
and so when the poor sod claims his/her luggage, he is arrested for
carrying an "accessory to a dangerous weapon".

But the story doesn't end with him in some airport detention room, no, he
is carted to the Pasay Police Station on where he has to spend the night
alongside recidivists (habitual criminals) and other scums of the earth.
And the place ain't Hilton either. After 12 hours or so inside the
slammer, feelers will be sent to see if he's willing to settle the case
for a measly sum of 60k, that is, 60k EACH for the judge and whoever else
wants to milk him dry. A little bit of haggling occurs and voila, he's a
free man once again.

The above situation really happened. But, the bullet wasn't found in some
man's luggage, it was "discovered" in a 75-year old woman's bag. And the
75-year old woman had to be carried out of the jail cell after she agreed
to pay/settle with the law enforcement officers. She was carried out
because she could barely walk after spending the night in the cramped and
stinky jail cell. The 75 year old woman was represented by our
pediatrician's lawyer husband who again had to represent her after the
NAIA officials found another bullet in her luggage on her way back to the
US. Oh well, maybe the lola really was a terrorist, or perhaps she just
became a juicer target, because the crooks already knew that she was
willing to settle. You decide.

Atty. Romero says that this sort of case is the third he's handled in the
last few months. No surprise there, for it seems to be a very well-oiled
operation and it will probably be implemented more now what with the
upcoming barrage of balikbayans coming home in time for the holidays. So,
as not to become a victim, please lock your checked-in luggage, even
those outside and side zippers. Or better yet, get one of those hard
cases with no zippers or pockets in front or on the sides. At least this
way, no opportunity will be created for some unscrupulous person to slip
in a little extra in your bag and thus create a little extra for himself.

maomanila
12-14-2005, 19:58
This is true. My first cousin was victimized. And yes, the asking price was 60k exactly.

isuzu
12-14-2005, 20:45
Heto na naman! How could you promote tourism if you're already "robbed" upon arrival in the Philippines?

However, you can't lock your luggage when you're coming from the US. The TSA doesn't allow this, and they will break locks in case they have to.

I had my luggage locked going to the US in 2003. The TSA broke one of the locks when they conducted a random check. They then placed a piece of paper informing me that they checked my luggage.

zorkd
12-14-2005, 20:56
my folks from the USA asked me if they should be worried about this, while i did hear it from *them* first, i just told them to make sure that they keep their eyes on their belongings at all times and assure that any inspectors have clean hands before letting them fiddle with your bag.

exact same kuwento, P60k rin ang hiningi, may nahanap daw kasing bala. BS sobra. WOW Philippines tapos may gagawa nang ganun, grabeh noh.

JEZZZ
12-14-2005, 20:57
hanep sa raket ah... sino sino ba ang usually involved dyan sa raket na yan? pakidetalye daw mula airport punta sa pasay police.... thank you. just worried, my wifey is coming next week hehe:)

gunfool
12-14-2005, 21:50
PI talaga oo! Paano ba naman aasenso pinas pag puro kalokohan mga kababayan natin dyan. Tah Ina nila hwag silang magkakamali dahil kumpare ko hepe ngayon nang pasay swat. Uwi pa mandin ako sa dec 24 then balik xiamen nang dec 27 then balik pinas nang dec 29 then balik after the new year. Anyway I had my wife bring her gun and my gun as well pag sundo nya. just in case lang naman at sanay din ako sa kalokohan yet di ako nakulong ni minsan dahil malinis lagi;)

New_comer
12-14-2005, 22:58
Di naiiba ito sa SM-Manila scam. False accussation, pag di ka pumalag, yari ka na.

Sagad na talaga sa buto ang corruption sa autoridad at pulisya natin... Parang wala na tayong pag-asang makabangon pa... :soap:

mikey177
12-15-2005, 00:29
Originally posted by maomanila
This is true. My first cousin was victimized. And yes, the asking price was 60k exactly.

maomanila,

If it's not too personal, could you provide additional details that might be of help to our fellow BoGs who have relatives or friends coming over during the holidays.

Guys,

What would the best defense be in case one of those *$#@!!^ NAIA inspectors manages to slip ammo into your luggage? Call your lawyer ASAP? If it boils down to a "your word against the inpsector's word" showdown, how can you prove the contraband is not yours?

Allegra
12-15-2005, 00:33
hehe sounds like an urban legend

PMMA97
12-15-2005, 02:39
I have informed relatives coming in at Dec. 28th from the East Coast and my brother coming in from Canada about this. Better safe than sorry not to mention the endless trail of SOBs you would have to grease if this actually happens.

cznayr
12-15-2005, 03:47
I think only the custom officials inspect the bags when coming in to the country.

If you were asked to subject your bag for inspection by an airport police, you could politely tell them that you will do the unloading of your own items.

Allegra
12-15-2005, 04:02
It could happen pero I doubt it
I've traveled all over the country may dala baril at bala , kahit minsan di ako nagkaproblema sa airports, malaki or maliit
The airport dudes would be takaing a big chance pag ginawa nila yan

theTactician
12-15-2005, 04:55
wala na talagang maaasahan pa dyan sa pinas. puro modus operandi na ang nalalaman ng mga corrupt officials. para lang kumita ng malaki laking pera.
what can i say?

casmot
12-15-2005, 11:53
Originally posted by antediluvianist
But the story doesn't end with him in some airport detention room, no, he is carted to the Pasay Police Station on where he has to spend the night alongside recidivists (habitual criminals) and other scums of the earth.

There is one big flaw with the story. If caught with contrabands, you won't be taken to the Pasay Police Station before your arraignment. You will be detained, either at the Customs Area (if apprehended by Customs Police) or at the MIAA Police Barracks (if arrested by MIAA Police) or at the PNP Aviation Command Detention (if caught by the PNP Aviation Command). The Pasay Police does not have any jurisdiction within the NAIA. They will only assume jurisdiction after you have been arraigned and remanded by the Fiscal for detention. And your detention won't be in a Police Station, it would be in Pasay City Jail.

The different LEOs within NAIA are very distrustful of other LEOs within the area. They watch over their catch carefully and wont just turn them over to the other LEOs until they get the credit. And when money is involved they won't share.

I remember this one incident. A departing foreigner was trying to bring out an endangered turtle shell. When it was pointed out by the X-ray operator to the Customs personnel, he just said "Call quarantine and Airport Police". The PNP personnel just looked and turned his back. When the MIAA Police arrived with the quarantine personnel, the x-ray operator pointed out another mysterious shadow. The baggage was opened and searched and a false bottom was discovered. Inside were bundles on US dollars. Biglang sabi nun PNP, "Police Matter, dahin ko na sa duty officer ako!" "Hinde!", sabi nun Customs personnel, "Sa Customs yan!" Nagkagulo na. Buti na lang nandoon yun Blue Guard at hindi pinaalis yun foreigner. :)

isuzu
12-15-2005, 18:31
Originally posted by cznayr
I think only the custom officials inspect the bags when coming in to the country.

If you were asked to subject your bag for inspection by an airport police, you could politely tell them that you will do the unloading of your own items.

I think what they are worried is when the baggage is unloaded from the airplane before the passenger gets a hold of it. The "bullet" could be planted there by somebody and would describe the baggage to their cohorts at the baggage claim area.

These people might have taken advantage of the TSA rule that prohibits passengers from locking their baggage upon check-in in the US.

isuzu
12-15-2005, 18:34
Originally posted by casmot
There is one big flaw with the story. If caught with contrabands, you won't be taken to the Pasay Police Station before your arraignment. You will be detained, either at the Customs Area (if apprehended by Customs Police) or at the MIAA Police Barracks (if arrested by MIAA Police) or at the PNP Aviation Command Detention (if caught by the PNP Aviation Command). The Pasay Police does not have any jurisdiction within the NAIA. They will only assume jurisdiction after you have been arraigned and remanded by the Fiscal for detention. And your detention won't be in a Police Station, it would be in Pasay City Jail.

The different LEOs within NAIA are very distrustful of other LEOs within the area. They watch over their catch carefully and wont just turn them over to the other LEOs until they get the credit. And when money is involved they won't share.

I remember this one incident. A departing foreigner was trying to bring out an endangered turtle shell. When it was pointed out by the X-ray operator to the Customs personnel, he just said "Call quarantine and Airport Police". The PNP personnel just looked and turned his back. When the MIAA Police arrived with the quarantine personnel, the x-ray operator pointed out another mysterious shadow. The baggage was opened and searched and a false bottom was discovered. Inside were bundles on US dollars. Biglang sabi nun PNP, "Police Matter, dahin ko na sa duty officer ako!" "Hinde!", sabi nun Customs personnel, "Sa Customs yan!" Nagkagulo na. Buti na lang nandoon yun Blue Guard at hindi pinaalis yun foreigner. :)

Well, if a passenger is ignorant of the laws and procedures, certainly, the corrupt LEOs will have their way in bringing the "arrested passenger" to the Pasay police station.

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 19:42
Originally posted by isuzu
Well, if a passenger is ignorant of the laws and procedures, certainly, the corrupt LEOs will have their way in bringing the "arrested passenger" to the Pasay police station. Ignorant? Pretty strong word. People can be unfamiliar with the laws and procedures but not necessarily ignorant. Seems like these things are becoming the norm there - people looking for any opportunity to make quick bucks. And sadly, most of them are from your government.

vega
12-15-2005, 19:52
And so, how is Washington nowadays?

vega

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 19:54
State or DC? Answer is, no clue! I live in Joisey. How about you, how does it feel to be finally "legal" in the U.S.?

vega
12-15-2005, 20:01
I have no idea, how did you felt then? Or still feeling it?

vega

vega
12-15-2005, 20:09
There you go again on your old trick, posting then editing and hoping that someone would qoute it before you edited it. I know one member who was banned from doing that.

vega

batangueno
12-15-2005, 20:09
Originally posted by Froggy_131
State or DC? Answer is, no clue! I live in Joisey.
Is Joisey near Seattle? ^8 ;Q

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 20:11
Originally posted by vega
I have no idea, how did you felt then? Or still feeling it?

vega Let me refresh your memory: Someone went to the U.S. and after being there about a year, posted at some gun board that he is selling his pistol in the Philippines because his "papers" finally came through and he will be in the U.S. for a looooooong time. ;f

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 20:12
Originally posted by batangueno
Is Joisey near Seattle? ^8 ;Q New Joisey, Joisey City to be exact.

vega
12-15-2005, 20:20
So how do you feel now that your papers came through?

vega

cznayr
12-15-2005, 20:20
New Jersey... ayos sa slang ah

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 20:28
Originally posted by vega
So how do you feel now that your papers came through?

vega Oh I forgot, his user name at GT and 1991forum.com is vega. Maybe it's just a coincidence. My bad! ;f

batangueno
12-15-2005, 20:34
New Joisey, Joisey City to be exact.
So do you really live in New Jersey or Seattle?

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 20:35
Originally posted by batangueno
So do you really live in New Jersey or Seattle? New Jersey. Never been to Seattle in my life, too wet there!

New_comer
12-15-2005, 20:36
Amoy away ah... ;P

Froggy_131
12-15-2005, 20:37
Sorry Mr. Vega, if that's the "wrong" Vega, I apologize. ;f

vega
12-15-2005, 20:38
Originally posted by New_comer
Amoy away ah... ;P
No, just booting out.

vega

isuzu
12-16-2005, 00:07
Ignorant? Pretty strong word. People can be unfamiliar with the laws and procedures but not necessarily ignorant. Seems like these things are becoming the norm there - people looking for any opportunity to make quick bucks. And sadly, most of them are from your government.

Yes, pretty strong word. And I think you're missing the point. Some people who have lived abroad for a long time lose track of the procedures in the airport in case you get apprehended. Laws may have changed a couple of times since they left the country. That is why this thread aims to warn people of the possible things that could happen to them, and give him an idea on what to do when they encounter this scenario at the airport.

Take the case of the OFW who has been out of the country for several years. Upon boarding the airplane bound for the Philippines, he or she is focused on meeting his loved ones at the airport and spending time with them, and getting involved in an incident at the airport is farthest from the OFWs mind. They don't even think that this could happen to them. An OFW being milked P60,000 for nothing is no joke. It's very frustrating. Think about it.

casmot
12-16-2005, 02:36
Well, if a passenger is ignorant of the laws and procedures, certainly, the corrupt LEOs will have their way in bringing the "arrested passenger" to the Pasay police station.

Certainly, if one is ignorant of the law and procedure, that is possible. But is it probable? I don't think so. I've worked a number of years at NAIA. I had an "All Areas" pass which allows me access to any place in NAIA. From the passenger terminal to the tarmac and even on the runway (of course without the planes landing or taking off ;f).

The story said that a certain "Atty. Romeo" represented the old woman. I would think that a lawyer would, at least, know some of the laws and procedures like jurisdiction. He would have questioned why she was being detained in a Police station that does not have jurisdiction over the case.

Secondly, the story said that it had happened a number of times. Knowing how the different LEOs operate in NAIA, especially if money is involved, that would have been well known a long time ago and stopped. For an operation like this, you would need to connive with at least three to four cargo/luggage handlers, two Customs guards, an x-ray operator, an airline representative, and at least a member of the Pasay police station. Given the number of people involved, someone is bound to talk. And the profit sharing for Php60,000 is quite small. I have porters earning much more on tips on a single lucky shift. There are a lot easier and less risky ways to earn money in NAIA.

Laws may have changed a couple of times since they left the country. That is why this thread aims to warn people of the possible things that could happen to them, and give him an idea on what to do when they encounter this scenario at the airport.

I agree. We must be informed so that we're not taken advantage of. Use all the precautions when travelling not only to the Philippines but elsewhere.

Froggy_131
12-16-2005, 08:38
So, is this why you thought I'm from Seattle?

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=451756&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=4

Good assumption though. Yes, she is from Seattle, I know her personally. Born, raised and educated in the U.S.A., mom and pops are pure pinoy and pinay.

toxic
12-17-2005, 02:01
Iam an OFW , flying in and out of the country 4x a year, iam aware that SOME people from NAIA will try to do anything just to earn a quick buck,however those people choose the sucker/s who will fall for this scam, pareho din yan nung mga budol budol, snatchers sa Manila na pagka mukhang tatanga tanga ka at lilingap-lingap eh madadale ka talaga. As an OFW i usually take BOX (sturdy)for cavin baggage not bags carry ons yes bags but i put locks on it as a precaution .
Two things i consider, pwedeng lagyan or kupitan pag bag ang dala mo anything can happen sa bagahe mo at wag aasta asta na madameng dalang pera its a give away for those people. Once you get your stuff from the baggage conveyor call your sundo , get out from the airport as soon as you can coz dameng lalapit sayo saying ihahatid ka , magtatanong ng oras, makikitawag sa cellphone,magtatanong ng kung ano ano. Just ignore them dont even turn your head if they call you names,If you are not expecting to pick you up from inside what is the reason someone will call your name paglingon mo patay ka na.

Now for this bullet thing to happen extreme na yan , Di ba matetrace through balistics testing or Finger print

vega
12-18-2005, 10:50
Originally posted by toxic
Now for this bullet thing to happen extreme na yan , Di ba matetrace through balistics testing or Finger print
They are really determined to bleed you dry, it won't go that far.

vega

vimanas
12-19-2005, 13:06
Originally posted by casmot
[The story said that a certain "Atty. Romeo" represented the old woman. I would think that a lawyer would, at least, know some of the laws and procedures like jurisdiction. He would have questioned why she was being detained in a Police station that does not have jurisdiction over the case.
. [/B]

you might be surprised how determined these "enterprising" cops are. some of them dont give a rat's ass even if there are lawyers in the field. when I got detained coz I ran over a drunk pedestrian (who recovered a week after), they were the ones who gave us the problem. Our lawyer and the family of the poor fellow already had an agreement in written form but still these cops tried to block our lawyer's efforts. after an additional hour more or so and another round of discussion with the cops, they gave in when they were "assured" of something.

and this was just a Pasay substation near coastal.

antediluvianist
12-19-2005, 18:04
"I agree. We must be informed so that we're not taken advantage of. Use all the precautions when travelling not only to the Philippines but elsewhere." - casmot

Yup. Anybody travelled much through Indonesia? We in the Philippines have no monopoly on corruption. Developing countries in general have lowly-paid cops, customs examiners, immigration officials, etc. India is full of corrupt officials too. Caveat tourist.