Ever try to bump start a 1000cc twin? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever try to bump start a 1000cc twin?

dana
12-15-2005, 21:10
The other morning it was cold out and my battery just wouldnít do it. It would turn over slow but not good enough. I had some where to be so I decided I could just push it up to the to of the hill, ride down and dump the clutch. Yah right!! I donít know what gear I had it in but it just didnít matter, it was third I think. I weigh 135 lbs and 1000cc of twin motor those pistons donít even move but for a second , chug chug chug then it just slides the rear tire down the hill. I even had some guy walking his dog help me push it back up the hill then push going down. Got going like 20mph (by the speedo) and still no good. It was actually really funny to see my skinny ass trying to push it up the hill then ride it down with the rear wheel not turning.
But I sure love the twin when it is running!!

Rosey
12-16-2005, 00:35
Were you dropping all your weight suddenly onto the seat (picture standing on the pegs and then "dropping" yourself onto the seat) at the same moment that you were dumping the clutch? In my experience that manuver is necessary to get most any large (and sometimes smaller) displacement engines to turn over rather than just skidding. Just a thought.

At 135lbs that would make it more of a challenge.

fnfalman
12-16-2005, 08:30
I tried to help a guy push start a 1000 twin once (Aprilia Mille). It was a mother!

Go invest yourself in a Battery Tender. Keep that battery charged up, especially during the winter. My BMW is a cold blooded beast and the gel battery ain't all that hot either, so I have been availing myself to the Battery Tender every night to make sure that battery is fully charged before ignition and then it would take about probably 20 seconds worth of cranking to get that beast going.

I'm glad that the new flat twin gets the K-bike's much improved Motronic.

norton
12-16-2005, 10:39
I once owned a 4 stroke single 500 cc street bike with kick start only. I once had it stall while leaving the parking lot of the local K mart. Damn near through me over the handlebars.

dana
12-16-2005, 15:45
I actually have a battery tender and it stays on the bike most of the time. I had been ridding around town with a lot of short trips and when the fan would come on at idle I noticed the dash LED dim. So I know the charging system and battery probably didnít have the time to recharge after all the starts and fan run time. Then I parked at my girlfriends house with out the tender. then over night the temp dropped and the batt just wouldnít do it.
On a side note, the other day I started it up just to let I run for a while. Even straight of the tender it was slow cranking, it does need a new batt.

HKMark23
12-20-2005, 05:34
I left a heated suit plugged into my 1150GSA overnight once (dumb *****). Just rolled it down a small slope to about 10mph and bumped the clutch with it in 3rd and it fired up no problem, of course I weigh 190 lb and the GSA weighs 8,497 lb............

coldmcrider
12-20-2005, 10:17
If the bike is fuel injected you won't be able to pop start it. No electricity means the fuel pump won't work so no gas no start.

Dandapani
12-20-2005, 10:33
Be sure to use 2nd gear, not first...

Glasser
12-20-2005, 15:36
Keep shifting up until you get the engine to turn over. Let the clutch fly, don't release it slowly. If you are doing this in say 5th gear, you may need to rapidly grab the clutch to keep it from stalling out.

I bumped started my TDM850 parallel twin all the time. 4 th gear. Haven't tried the VSTROM1000 yet.

I assume if this is a Harley, you have AAA or a chase team or something.

dana
12-20-2005, 16:54
thanks for the input guys, its a RC51 by the way

NMGlocker
12-20-2005, 16:58
I helped my brother kick start his old Harley a few times.
F'n thing would toss you over the bars if you weren't carefull with your kicks. If we had to drag start it, we'd always use the Jeep and pull it till it fired up.

Compy
12-20-2005, 17:29
Originally posted by coldmcrider
If the bike is fuel injected you won't be able to pop start it. No electricity means the fuel pump won't work so no gas no start.

There is typically just enough juice to power accessories, just not enough to crank over the starter. Most the time the battery isn't *completly* dead.

I had to do it to my 919 once. Just dumped the clutch while someone pushed. Fired right up on the first try.

HKMark23
12-20-2005, 19:59
My GSA is fuel injected.....

There is usually some fuel pressure in the system long after the bike is powered down, not to mention there often being enough power to run a pump, just not enough to turn the starter. Lastly the alternator generally starts making power the instant it begins to turn, so bumping the engine also turns the alternator.

HKMark23
12-20-2005, 20:08
My GSA is fuel injected.....

There is usually some fuel pressure in the system long after the bike is powered down, not to mention there often being enough power to run a pump, just not enough to turn the starter. Lastly the alternator generally starts making power the instant it begins to turn, so bumping the engine also turns the alternator.

Billy +p
12-24-2005, 17:36
I tried to bump start a buddy's YZ 426. Steep dirt hill. 3rd gear, dropped down on the seat wile popping the cluch and the damn thing slid out and tossed me. went to my ass then my head and back to my ass again.

Once I killed the battery in my CBR F1 and had a friend help push it. After about the tenth faild try I discoverd I hat the kill switch on. He wanted to kill me. Fired right up after that. Sorry greg.;f

hayabusa200
12-30-2005, 00:05
Try a 116 CI Vtwin harley with 12.5:1 compression. Now thats was a mother. Best thing I ever did was install compression releases.

ndbullet500
12-30-2005, 12:07
It ended up with the bike gently tipping over onto its side. :(

The main problem I had is my CB750 has a 30.5"+ seat height and at 5'8" tall I have a 30"- inseam. It's easy to forget how heavy a bike is until you get it tipped over a few degrees off vertical.

The heck of it is, you almost always know when your battery is getting weak, but put off replacing it just a little too long. No big deal if you have a kick starter, but with that electric leg.....

One thing I did remember to my everlasting pride was to actually make sure to have the kill switch/ignition turned on. I have push started other bike before where the guy forgot, and it was annoying to say the least.