MC Ramp or Trailer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MC Ramp or Trailer

wrenrj1
12-18-2005, 18:36
I've got a 1981 Kawasaki KZ 550, and own a Nissan TITAN with
a 6.5 ft bed. Problem is, is that my MC is 7.16 FT end to end. This was not an issue when I picked it up as I backed into a ditch and we loaded it, and I left the tailgate down for the ride home, and found a low ditch and boards to off load. Problem is, is that the TITAN has a rather high tailgate, so loading is an issue.

It weighs about 450lbs. My dilemma is, should I buy a MC ramp for those occasional trips to the dealer for maintenance and possibilly occasional trips to take it along? or should I buy a low-boy (lawn equipment type) trailer ($599 at Menards)?

Is there a one-person easy way to get it in my TITAN?

BikerRN
12-19-2005, 07:04
I prefer a trailer just because it's lower to the ground than the bed of your Titan. Plus, I have a camper shell and have the bed of my truck set up to sleep in. :)

fnfalman
12-19-2005, 11:53
For a one-person operation, a trailer is the best way. It takes at least two guys and more than that if a bike is heavy, to safely load a moto up onto a pickup's bed. Yeah, we did it, but they were unpleasant experiences and the probability of dropping the bikes were too high.

mmsig229
12-19-2005, 20:48
Originally posted by fnfalman
For a one-person operation, a trailer is the best way. It takes at least two guys and more than that if a bike is heavy, to safely load a moto up onto a pickup's bed. Yeah, we did it, but they were unpleasant experiences and the probability of dropping the bikes were too high.

Good advice. I finally broke down and bought a 5x8 trailer with a fold down gate. Bought a wheel chauk (sp?) at a cycle shop. The kind that slips into slots fixed to the trailer floor. Also invest in four ratcheting type tiedowns. You'll be all set then.....

wrenrj1
12-20-2005, 19:22
Yep, I think I'll have to invest. There's a 4 x 8 for $500.00 at Menards, but I have to upgrade for about $100 to get the gate/ramp.
I've seen some of the ramps, and it just isn't worth it, and my TITAN's tailgate is pretty high.

I've got a few months to save anyway before spring. Thanks for everyone's input.

steeltoe
12-21-2005, 18:05
I got this and I love it. No problems loading it for track days. I travel quite a bit for work and it's great for hauling the bike around. I just use a egg crate for a step to load my S-10.

http://www.readyramp.com/

wrenrj1
12-25-2005, 19:04
Originally posted by steeltoe
I got this and I love it. No problems loading it for track days. I travel quite a bit for work and it's great for hauling the bike around. I just use a egg crate for a step to load my S-10.

http://www.readyramp.com/

Looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned with the height of the TITAN's tailgate and the 425+ LBS I'd have to push up the ramp.

AirCav
12-28-2005, 00:17
Be careful with ramps.

Keep in mind that shortly after you start up the ramp, your feet will be off the ground. Fine as long as you don't lose your balance, not fine if you do. The temptation is to get a run for it up the ramp but then you need to stop before you run out of pickup bed. This requires more finesse than I usually have available.

Can you tell that I have experience in these matters? A 500 lb bike is no fun half way up the ramp. (Especially if the ramp is an old 2x10. Seemed like a good idea at the time. ;Q )

Pickups are tricky without a proper "loading dock" setup. If you knew that you had a deep ditch everywhere you needed one it would be no sweat.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Take pictures. ;f

wrenrj1
12-28-2005, 18:44
Originally posted by AirCav
Be careful with ramps.

Pickups are tricky without a proper "loading dock" setup. If you knew that you had a deep ditch everywhere you needed one it would be no sweat.

I concur. That's how I got it into my truck and how I got it out, once and only once.

Both Menards and TSC have utility/lawn trailers for about $600.00 that'll work. I'm gonna have to go with a 4 X 8 minimum to have the rear ramp to go up.

Kinda sucks to have a truck that'll easily do the job...