Network upgrade questions/recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Network upgrade questions/recommendations

cgwahl
12-18-2005, 18:23
Ok...getting faster DSL soon.

Moving up from:
384 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps downstream(currently get 768Kbps)
128 to 384 Kbps upstream (currently get 384Kbps)

to:
1.5 to 3.0 Mbps downstream
384 to 512 Kbp upstream

Now currently I have the 2Wire Gateway plugged into a Netgear MR814 router (use it as a wireless access point/switch).

Barring the fact I may need to get a new Gateway (will need to confirm with SBC)...will I also want/need to get a new access point?

Only two reasons I can think for upgrading is the 802.11G (which won't matter to me at all until I actually upgraded my wireless card as well) and the WAP encryption (which I realize is important as WEP sucks).

But will I also need it to notice a difference in my network speed as well?

I only ask this since I want to know if I should upgrade it as soon as possible or if I can wait a few months. No point in spending slightly more money for a faster connection if I won't actually get a faster connection.

Also, if I do get a new router to set up as a wireless access point/switch, what make and/or model would you recommend? I don't know what would be a good buy...then again any one would probably be good for all I know.

Thanks to any who answer...

NGWT
12-18-2005, 23:18
Since your actual internet connection is well below 11Mbps, it won't make a hill of beans of difference to your connect speed should you choose to upgrade the router.

Now, if have other devices on your network that can take advantage of the higher speed connetion offered by other routers, *and* you will communicate with them on your home lan, then it would make sense.

darth_rifle
12-18-2005, 23:59
+1 on what NGWT said.

As for the 802.11g router/switch, I'd highly recommend the Linksys WRT54G. It has an easy initial setup and also supports a healthy number of geeky features. Open Source firmware is cool, too!

- D. Rifle

hwyhobo
12-19-2005, 00:43
Originally posted by darth_rifle
+1 on what NGWT said.

As for the 802.11g router/switch, I'd highly recommend the Linksys WRT54G. It has an easy initial setup and also supports a healthy number of geeky features. Open Source firmware is cool, too!
- D. Rifle
Didn't they just dump the Linux OS in WRT54G and replaced it with VxWorks, while reducing the amount of memory as well? At least that's what I heard about the new ver. 5.

cgwahl
12-19-2005, 07:57
Originally posted by NGWT
Since your actual internet connection is well below 11Mbps, it won't make a hill of beans of difference to your connect speed should you choose to upgrade the router.

Now, if have other devices on your network that can take advantage of the higher speed connetion offered by other routers, *and* you will communicate with them on your home lan, then it would make sense.

Good to hear...I was worried for a sec that I'd have to buy all new network hardware.

Obviously not a big expense...I just don't want to spend more money than I have to on this thing. Plus, this month I am more in the saving mood than the spending one...

Will look into that router darth. Thanks.

NGWT
12-19-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Didn't they just dump the Linux OS in WRT54G and replaced it with VxWorks, while reducing the amount of memory as well? At least that's what I heard about the new ver. 5.

Could be. I just hooked one up for a friend and the downloaded firmware from VxWorks was almost identical to what was already in there. A few extra features, but the interface was the same.