Figure this one out... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Figure this one out...

PDogSniper
12-19-2005, 02:31
MSU721, who posts here occasionally and I work together and something bizarre is going on with the sys (least we think it's here) here at work.

Every now and then when I log in to the network here at work for some reason or another it logs me in under his name or at least when I post to a board it recognizes me as him... I'm not even using the same computer as he is...

We can't figure it out and he and I figured that the best course is to let sleeping dogs lie, lest the IT guys have a heria...

hwyhobo
12-19-2005, 03:06
Do you have home directories on a server? How are cookies handled by the browser? Are they stored locally or on the server?

Toyman
12-19-2005, 06:02
The password for the site is stored in a cookie, so either this other guy is using your machine, or something funky is going on with your server.

PDogSniper
12-19-2005, 07:06
Originally posted by Toyman
The password for the site is stored in a cookie, so either this other guy is using your machine, or something funky is going on with your server.

It's gotta be something funky. He and I are good buds. He would never burn me nor I him. We trust our lives with each other...

The stations aren't delegated to specific persons but rather, for lack of a better work communal for our work force. Anyone can logg onto a specific station throughout the day with our specific username and password that is changed every 30 days..

The thing is, this specific night, neither he was on a unit that I had been on and I had not been on one that he had been on.

Like I said, it's happened before but it's been a while since...

HAVOC
12-19-2005, 20:33
If it logs you onto a site as him, from a PC he's never logged onto that site from... that's weird.

If he just hadn't logged on that night, but had in the past, it could be a left over cookie. 2000 and XP hide their IE cookies in separate user spaces. When you're logged on, it uses your cookies, not his. 98 didn't, and I'm not sure how Firefox or Opera handle that.

It could be a network resident cookie/cache.

Or it could be a weird older (or badly configured) site that keeps users referenced to IPs. Many large sites all log onto the internet from one IP, even for dozens of PCs.

Could it be that sometime in the past, on one of the troublesome PCs, you were logged on to the PC and he moved you aside to log onto a site real quick? Some cookies stay resident forever.