any other stickfighters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any other stickfighters?

12-19-2005, 17:05
just curious....

i do filipino, dogbrothers and SCA medieval rattan combat.

been to one Dogbrothers Gathering and it was a blast! even with the cut scalp and the chipped elbow. :)

bluemeanie
12-20-2005, 10:33
One wannabe here. I train in a (primarily) empty-hand style, but I know a "retired" escrima instructor that I am trying to coax into teaching me some basics.

bdcochran
12-31-2005, 01:09
Yes. Did it. Do not do it anymore because the left shoulder is destroyed. It never leaves you. A couple of very good instructors here in the Los Angeles area.

I make my own "sticks". 1/2 inch black water pipe, 28 inches long with end caps. Carry one in each car on the back floor, at the entrance to the house. No one, not even the car wash guys, will steal it from my car. Same movements as knife fighting.

ArnisAndyz
01-03-2006, 11:37
I have a school here in Florida.
www.fcamelbourne.com

01-03-2006, 11:54
school looks great.

wish we had a dedicated FMA school (or any FMA) here.

ArnisAndyz
01-03-2006, 12:08
Originally posted by 2210
school looks great.

wish we had a dedicated FMA school (or any FMA) here.

Thanks...I know of a couple Arnis schools in NY, but not upstate. Ask your local Filipino-American club, there are alot of Filipinos there, I'm sure you can find somebody!

01-03-2006, 12:13
i'll check it out...

we did have one balintawak school about an hour away, but that's gone.

only other resource is a McDojo TKD guy who shows students how to twirl sticks and calls it 'escrima'. and that's only after you spend your year getting your black belt.... :)

cznayr
01-04-2006, 02:02
what kind of wood did you use for your sticks? I have one made from Kamagong..

01-04-2006, 04:32
i've got a kamagong garrote that i use for bagwork sometimes, but i usually just use rattan. i can't use hardwood in a fight, so i train with what i use...

ArnisAndyz
01-04-2006, 06:39
same here, Rattan for training partner drills, sparring, Kamagong and Bahi for solo work, defense.

Joshua M. Smith
01-04-2006, 13:52
Single and dual sticks were part of my mixed training.

We used dowel rods from Walmart wrapped in electrical tape. They worked exceptionally well and I still use that method. It's not pretty, but it works. If one breaks, you're only out a couple bucks and not a lot of work.

Josh <><

ArnisAndyz
01-04-2006, 14:10
Originally posted by Joshua M. Smith

We used dowel rods ... If one breaks, you're only out a couple bucks and not a lot of work.

Josh <>< [/B]

Be careful.

If one breaks you or your partner could also loose an eye from the splinters. Nice thing with Rattan is no splinters. Instead it frays, gets soft, and turns into a broom, but no splinters. I've actually broken hardwoods (maple, oak) with rattan. A dowel rod from Walmart is probably nothing more than pine. I get rattan for like $3.00 a stick in bulk.

I have had new students show up with dowels. bamboo, pretty maple escrima sticks from the Century Catalog, etc...I don't let them use them in my class. I give them a set of loaner sticks until they get thier own. Nothing beats good firehardened rattan.

ElectricZombie
01-18-2006, 00:42
Dowels and various hardwoods will break and splinter. I've seen it happen, and they always break into sharp pieces. Rattan is cheap and much more durable.

cznayr
01-18-2006, 02:18
Kamagong here is only 5$ per stick... quite cheap

Pepe308
01-25-2006, 09:00
Originally posted by 2210
just curious....

i do filipino, dogbrothers and SCA medieval rattan combat.

been to one Dogbrothers Gathering and it was a blast! even with the cut scalp and the chipped elbow. :)

Just curious sir, what does SCA stands for? Sorry, I live in the Philippines... hope you could fill me in about Dogbrothers too... .

01-25-2006, 13:32
Originally posted by Pepe308
Just curious sir, what does SCA stands for? Sorry, I live in the Philippines... hope you could fill me in about Dogbrothers too... .

The Dogbrothers are a group who train in arnis in Los Angeles, USA. they sponsor a biannual meeting where people fight with little protection and striking and grappling is allowed along with stick strikes.

see: dogbrothers.com , excellent videos of what they do.

the SCA is a group that fights full contact medieval style battles in armor, as well as one on one tournaments.

here's a video of one of our battles:

http://www.jubilex.com/movies/pennsic34/field-1.mpeg

Pepe308
01-28-2006, 12:11
Thank you sir, that's very interesting... .

Apocalypse_Now
01-30-2006, 20:14
JKD/Arnis/Escrima/Kali guy here :cool: