Win98 & MSN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win98 & MSN

Wayne02
12-19-2005, 21:46
I installed an old copy of win98se on an extra machine just to get it going. Install went fine, got internet hookup ok, but every time I go to use IE it defaults to the evil msn sign up/ set up your modem screen.

Went in and changed my homepage to google.com, and it said it applied it, yet I cannot for the life of me get past that stupid msn screen to use plain old IE. I've tried clicking the desktop IE icon, the tool-bar IE icon, the icon listed for IE in windows explorer and it stills won't let me past the msn sign up screen.

Any ideas?

Wayne

Washington,D.C.
12-19-2005, 23:24
When installing Windows 98 if you choose a "minimal install" I think MSN messenger is left out if that's what you mean by MSN.Windows doesn't require the internet to install so unless it's a unique version of Windows it shouldn't matter.The last few times I've installed Windows 98 I've installed the fewest features.I didn't have that problem.

If it's Windows 98 SE this is nice to have,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html

Wayne02
12-20-2005, 00:22
I don't think it's msn messenger, I think it is trying to force me to use msn email.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 00:44
That's alright then.It doesn't even need the internet and there are no longer any new MSN email accounts.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 08:03
Ok I read your post wrong last night.Am awake now.

http://www.frognet.net/help/archives/ie_sethomepage.php

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 08:03
Early IE

http://www.qcinet.net/help/homepage/homepageie.html

Wayne02
12-20-2005, 11:50
Ok, I'll give the homepage change a try again. I pretty sure I did that last night though and it changes my homepage in the pop up box, but still will not go past the msn sign-up page when I click the IE icon.
It is IE version 5.

The only way I've been able to get to anything resembling an IE page is to go into windows explorer and click on the IE executable program file. It will then open what looks kind of like IE in the right pane of windows explorer. But I've not been able to run IE outside of the windows explorer window.

I wonder about trying to un-install the msn stuff on the machine?

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 12:01
I'm not sure MSN is included in Windows 98 SE like it is in XP.I know messenger is removable in Windows 98 SE.There is a difference between Windows messenger and MSN Messenger.

Wayne02
12-20-2005, 17:35
The screen that comes up is to "get started with msn internet access". It allows you to "cancel" or "next".

Clicking next launches you into finding your modem and setting up your msn internet connection.... which I don't need of course, I just want to use internet explorer when I click on its icon.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 17:50
You can ignore MSN access.It's an ad for MSN ISP.

Wayne02
12-20-2005, 18:29
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
You can ignore MSN access.It's an ad for MSN ISP.
How do I ignore it, it won't let me. I just want to use IE. Every-time I click on IE I get the msn internet configure/start -up screen. Click "ok" and launches into search and configure of modem etc. Click "cancel" and it closes the screen back to desktop with no IE to be found.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 18:40
Search everything MSN and delete it.I think you should be able to change the home page.I haven't had that problem with Windows 98 SE.How fast is that PC and how much memory does it have?

Wayne02
12-20-2005, 19:09
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Search everything MSN and delete it.I think you should be able to change the home page.I haven't had that problem with Windows 98 SE.How fast is that PC and how much memory does it have?
PIII 1000mhz, 256 ram

I have changed the homepage but still all the IE icons open to the msn screen. However, if I open windows explorer and click on the IE explorer line on the files list in the left pane, then an IE screen with my homepage will open in the right hand pane of windows exploer.

For example: I have the homepage set to Glocktalk. I click on the ie line item in the directory list in the left pane of windows explorer. GT opens in the right pane. But as soon as I go to do anything in GT (like sign in) it boots me out to the msn screen again.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 19:15
Wow,that's a plenty of PC power for just about anything in Windows 98 SE.I have a 733 Pentium III that had 128MB of RAM I added another 128MB for a total now of 256 MB of RAM.I have both Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro with SP1 on it.Whatever the MSN stuff in it was,I removed all of it.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2005, 19:17
I had to downgrade the BIOS from a Windows 2000 BIOS to an older version and I had to replace the sound card in order to get Windows XP to run correctly on that PC.