PDA or Smartphone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PDA or Smartphone?

Burrito
12-20-2005, 17:24
Which one should i get for my wife? Should I get a phone with all the capabilities of your basic HP ipac, or should I stick to keeping them seperate? I'm new to these specific gadgets and a little lost and confused.

hwyhobo
12-20-2005, 18:16
PDA is usually a bit handier to use, but it is also bigger, and it is yet another thing to carry. Does she also use a laptop for more heavy-duty stuff? If so, I would skip a PDA. I have one, and I stopped carrying it some time ago. Too much to carry already.

However, if you are going to get one of the smart phones, get one with a large screen.

funbob
12-20-2005, 23:37
The big reason I've kept my phone and PDA seperate so far is I'll frequently need to pull information off my PDA or jot down notes while on a call and it helps to keep the devices seperate. I'm not a big fan of earpieces and prefer not to use the speakerphone so this is what works for me. I also can't afford to have the battery go dead and lose my phone AND PDA.

I have been looking at some smartphones lately though and may be tempted to get one if I ever find a bluetooth earpiece that's comfortable for me to use.

Burrito
12-22-2005, 22:36
Do you think PDAs will be phased out with all of the new combo phone/PDAs? It just seems the PDAs aren't being pushed at the electronic stores as much. It's all about phones and mp3 players.

jpa
12-22-2005, 23:06
I think it'll all be integrated and used as one at some point. If you have a smartphone with bluetooth and a headset, I don't know if you're able to use any of the pda functionality while in a call (as funbob mentions), plus the fact that windows for the pocketpc on a smartphone doesn't include the office apps.

I have an ipaq and love it. I use it for gps, surf the web in wifi hotspots, check email, and manage contacts. I also do some minor writing in Word when I'm on the go and jot notes on the notepad applet.

In my opinion, if she's only going to use it for a datebook/contact list/internet and few other apps, get her the phone. No sense carrying a whole other device around when you can combine the functionality.

Marauder.45
12-22-2005, 23:12
Treo 650 Smartphone, full bluetooth and you can use all the functions of the pda while on calls. Check out www.treonauts.com for some of accesories and programs you can get for it.

Texas T
12-23-2005, 11:50
Originally posted by Marauder.45
Treo 650 Smartphone, full bluetooth and you can use all the functions of the pda while on calls. Check out www.treonauts.com for some of accesories and programs you can get for it. Treo 700 if you're willing to wait for Spring, and for Verizon to release it, and if you're willing to take the chance of running a Windoze OS instead of Palm.

An interview with Palm's CEO on CNBC this past week indicates that they will be releasing a number of different price point models this coming year.

FWIW, I was a Handspring user from 1999 to 2003 when I went to the Treo 600. I'll never go back to separate units.

gamegod86
12-26-2005, 23:03
Originally posted by Marauder.45
Treo 650 Smartphone, full bluetooth and you can use all the functions of the pda while on calls. Check out www.treonauts.com for some of accesories and programs you can get for it.

I have a Treo 650 and I hate it.

I may have been on the "dark side" too long with Windows Mobile.

A smartphone is the way to go, however. I had a Pocket PC Phone Edition from T-Mobile, and it was decent. The new version is supposed to be pretty good, and that is my next phone purchase.

skypan1
12-27-2005, 08:41
Has any one ever seen or try to use the Samsung smart phone from Verizon ?

I have seen it and it has Windows with pocket office, I use my ipac HP for apt and notes and this has the same softwear in it along with the phone part.

I am tired of carrying phone and a PDA and also looking at a better solution.