Computer Case pinout questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer Case pinout questions

dave5339
12-21-2005, 16:43
Hi all,

Since I can't find the answer to my question anywhere else I figured I'd ask here.

I recently purchased a barebones kit from TigerDirect.

In the process of assembling it I may have toasted the motherboard, (TigerDirect is sending a replacement so kudo's to them!)

One of my coworkers is suggesting I had my leads for the power switch, reset switch, power and hdd leds messed up, (flipped polarity wise).

After pulling the board this afternoon I set down with a test set and tried to figure out the color coding and which pin was to ground, (if any). Needless to say, I didn't make any progress.

What I am wondering if there is a color coding convention for these leads and pins, (is white always a neutral and the color the "hot" lead?) Do the leds require a specific polarity?

The box is HERE (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1187017&Tab=0&NoMapp=0)
if you want to take a look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my new board is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'd really like to get this thing running.

Semper Fi and Thanks!

AZ-Boog
12-21-2005, 19:05
The motherboard documentation should indicate the specific orientation of the various case connectors.

You're saying it didn't on the first motherboard??

srhoades
12-21-2005, 19:06
If there is one thing non standard about computers that irks me to no end is pin out configurations. Each motherboard manufacturer is different. As to your origianl question, no. I've seen motherboards where all the wires are the same color but the plugs are numbered. The best ones just have on giant plug so it is impossible to screw it up. Decent ones will at least have the + and - marked.

HAVOC
12-21-2005, 19:57
White wires are generally (but not even close to universally) negative/ground on the case header connectors. The board itself or the manual should show which pins are ground/negative.

Connecting them backwards won't fry anything.

Switches are completely polarity insensitive, it makes zero difference which way you connect them.

If you wire an LED backwards all it'll do is not work.

Only was I can see smoking anything with wiring that header is putting a switch where an LED should go and shorting it's power. I don't think that'll hurt anything either, and if it did, it'd just be the LED driver circuit.

Make sure there are no metal motherboard standoffs in the case that aren't under holes in the board.

Other than that, I'd say the board (or maybe the PSU) came with issues...

AS45-70
12-21-2005, 20:29
I have yet to see a pin not labeled in the following way:

Turn the pin over so the writing is away from you. For example, the HDD LED writing should face away from you. Now there should be a black triangle on the pin close to the where it plugs onthe the MB,this triangle designates the + side.

I have seen this method used on every PC i ever built and it hasnt failed me yet.

And yeah i concur that the reversing the leads will not damage anything.

AS

dave5339
12-21-2005, 21:28
Thanks for the replies so far.

The motherboard is marked. It's the bloody leads in the case that aren't marked thats driving me nuts.

Semper Fi

dave5339
12-21-2005, 21:30
Originally posted by AS45-70
I have yet to see a pin not labeled in the following way:

Turn the pin over so the writing is away from you. For example, the HDD LED writing should face away from you. Now there should be a black triangle on the pin close to the where it plugs onthe the MB,this triangle designates the + side.

I have seen this method used on every PC i ever built and it hasnt failed me yet.

And yeah i concur that the reversing the leads will not damage anything.

AS

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I just checked the leads and I do see the triangle! Now when the new board shows up that will be one less thing I mess up.

Semper Fi