Shotokan [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotokan

sport69
12-23-2005, 11:09
3rd kyu JKA Shotokan Traditional Karate in Indiana

sport69
12-23-2005, 11:12
This was supose to be in the (Are you REPRESENTIN'?)thread!

Danny Reid
12-24-2005, 11:56
That's alright. A thread devoted to Shotokan is appropriate. I studied a system that was very similar to Shotokan. In fact, it was a hybrid of Shotokan and Isshin-Ryu. Our katas were very close to Shotokan. There were some differences. Our system incorporated more circular blocks and a vertical punch, plus a few other changes.

The katas would be VERY familiar to you: Taikyokus, Heians, Bassai-Dai ( my personal favorite ), Kwanku, Hangetsu, Empi, etc.

taco101
12-30-2005, 21:22
I am a 7th kyu in Shotokan. We have a very progressive dojo. I teach ground fighting after the trad class is over. I have always loved "rolling" but the stand up aspect of Shotokan has been very enlightening. This has been my first experience with Kata. We do kumite on Fridays. After the first hour we add take downs and ground work with the stand up of Shotokan.

brock sampson
12-31-2005, 16:23
Shotokan (JKA) was my first real training in MA. I still revert to the basics I learned then. Hard to change what took years to build. With the right instructors it's a great style. I say that cause, like most of you guys, I've seen 'em both ways.
I wish we had the ground work built in when I trained. It sounds like a great mix.
Sport, who's your head instructor?