First build....problems :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First build....problems :(

RaiderRodney
12-23-2005, 20:54
I talked a friend of mine into letting me build him a new machine instead of getting one pre-built at bestbuy, etc.

Here are specs:

AMD 3200 Venice socket 939
MSI RS482M4 motherboard
1 gig Corsair ddr400 Value Select memory
80 gig sata150 Seagate HD
Lite-On Dvd Recorder
Lite-On Dvd Rom
Antec Case and Antec 350 watt PS

Everything went together great. I was so excited. Then when I first power up there it is: Warning:Unknown Processor Revision
Fatal Error

I can't even get into the bios :-(

I thought...ok no biggie, just need to flash the bios so it will recognize the processor. Nope...already running most recent version. Good thing, I can't get to command prompt anyway...

I tried pulling a stick of ram out...nope
I tried pulling the battery and waiting 5 minutes....nope
I tried resetting the cmos jumper....another nope.

Any suggestions anyone...or am I screwed until MSI puts out another update for the bios?

AZ-Boog
12-23-2005, 21:02
Does it POST??

RaiderRodney
12-23-2005, 22:00
Originally posted by AZ-Boog
Does it POST??

It verifies memory, cd roms, and hd...then gives the "Unknown Processor Revision" :(

IndyGunFreak
12-24-2005, 06:34
Never had that error, sorry you're having probs.

You've tried all the obvious things in my opinion. I doubt you're gonna have to wait for a new bios version. That MB is not that old, nor is the processor, so if you're runninng the most current bios, it should be OK.(In all the PC's I've built, I've never had to update a BIOS, to get a CPU to work)

I'm thinking its a bumm processor. I'd suggest pulling the processor, look for broken pins, etc. I assume since you likely put on a heatsink/fan, it is seated properly.

You didn't have to force it down or anything did you?(the CPU)...

Best of luck

IGF

Bohannon
12-24-2005, 06:49
Does the computer have the speaker hooked up! So you can hear the error code? You should be able to hear long or short beeps.
Hope that helps...

RaiderRodney
12-24-2005, 09:43
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
Never had that error, sorry you're having probs.

You've tried all the obvious things in my opinion. I doubt you're gonna have to wait for a new bios version. That MB is not that old, nor is the processor, so if you're runninng the most current bios, it should be OK.(In all the PC's I've built, I've never had to update a BIOS, to get a CPU to work)

I'm thinking its a bumm processor. I'd suggest pulling the processor, look for broken pins, etc. I assume since you likely put on a heatsink/fan, it is seated properly.

You didn't have to force it down or anything did you?(the CPU)...

Best of luck

IGF

I have found at least 5 times on the net of the same type of problem happening. All with either MSI or ASUS mb's and most all with the Venice core. I inspected the cpu closely upon installation and it appeared perfect. It went in very easily without much effort at all.

Thanks for all the replies guys, maybe I can figure it out :( I am torn on whether to send it back to zipzoomfly and try another or actually back down to maybe a 3000 and tr it. I tried to call my local shop and ask the guy there about it because he deals exclusively with MSI and AMD's...but is out for Christmas so I will wait until Monday at least I guess.

RaiderRodney
12-24-2005, 09:46
Originally posted by Bohannon
Does the computer have the speaker hooked up! So you can hear the error code? You should be able to hear long or short beeps.
Hope that helps...

Yes when it goes through the bios post it beeps once and then throws up the error and stops the post. I did get it to try and boot from floppy when I first start the computer and the floppy comes on but never seems to access the dos boot disk...but light stays on on the floppy.

It may be that I made the dos boot disk from XP and it is usually suggested to use 98 for these??

Toyman
12-25-2005, 05:43
"AMD 3200 Venice socket 939" I don't see any mention of any "Venice" cpu on AMD's site, exactly which processor do you have?

RaiderRodney
12-25-2005, 08:15
Originally posted by Toyman
"AMD 3200 Venice socket 939" I don't see any mention of any "Venice" cpu on AMD's site, exactly which processor do you have?

This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

fastvfr
12-25-2005, 23:01
Hey, Rodney; sorry things didn't go smoother.

Here's what I'd try:

1. Unplug PC and open case.

2. Pull CMOS battery and press the Power button on the case a few times.

3. Let it sit until morning.

4. Replace the CMOS battery, plug it in and try booting up.

This is going to clear the BIOS for sure, and then if the same issue comes up again you can be sure it is either the MOBO or the CPU.

My guess is that a different MOBO will run things just fine; it sounds like the BIOS on that board is corrupted...and, since the board cannot 'see' the CPU it can't access any drives, and so no BIOS Flash is possible....

I'd call MSI and ask them if this is a Known Issue with their boards. Then see if they'll help clear this up for you.

Good luck!

RaiderRodney
12-26-2005, 09:52
Thanks for all the suggestions guys :) I just took out the battery and hit the power button 3 or 4 times. Going to wait about 3 hours and try it one more time.

I got ahold of my local shop and he has never seen this happen either. He is thinking a bum processor as well. Still...the fact that more than a few others are having this problem makes me think it is the board.

I guess if I get a no go on this try I will contact newegg and get this board sent back and maybe order the another and hope for the best ;g

If any of you are intrigued by this crap, here is a link to a guy with the exact setup as me and same problem:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=91017.0

and if you back up to this thread about MSI ATI based boards you will see it more of the same "Unknown Processor Error" or bios will not post threads.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=24.0

Oh, one last thing Fast. When the bios try to post it actually says:

AMD 3200 processor (unknown revision)
master detected cd
slave detected cd
hd detected
WARNING:Unknown Processor Revision - Fatal Error
system halted

;T

aspartz
12-26-2005, 10:56
I know nothing about AMD, but I do know something about Intel based motherboards. In most cases, the MB interrogates the CPU to get its complete identity, including what "build" it is. Based on this, most MBs will try to DL some microcode into the CPU to correct errors that were present on the die. If the MB cannot recognize the rev of the chip it MAY refuse to boot, it may just ignore the microcode upload part of the POST. In most cases, flashing the BIOS (or disabling microcode) should fix your woes, but you need a compatible CPU to get far enough to do either.

ARS

Pierre!
12-26-2005, 11:04
My guess is Mobo.... Processor is most likely fine. Haven's bumped into a bum processor in many many moons.

Venice is a great one! Overclocks NICELY! This will probably be AMD's year, so you are running with a winnner!

Merry Christmass,
Happy New Year!

RaiderRodney
12-26-2005, 13:58
I think it is the board too. I just finished trying again after the battery was out for over 3 hours and same ole' crap :(

The fact that some guy has the same components and problem makes me almost certain it is the board....oh well back to work....I will try and keep you posted. Thanks again for all the help ;)

RaiderRodney
12-26-2005, 14:01
Originally posted by aspartz
In most cases, flashing the BIOS (or disabling microcode) should fix your woes, but you need a compatible CPU to get far enough to do either.

ARS

That seems to be another problem though. This other one that had this board and processor actually updated to the newest version of 1.2 (mine is 1.1 after further investigation) and still had the same problem.....so guess I'm sending the board back.

Altaris
12-26-2005, 17:59
Zipzoom and Newegg are both very good about exchanging defective things.

When I built my computer my $450 video card started having problems with my motherboard a few months after I built it. I sent it back to Newegg, told them what was wrong, and had a new video card within a week. It was one of the most painless exchanges/returns I have ever done.

RaiderRodney
12-30-2005, 19:50
Just to give everyone an update, got the other motherboard today. Everything went together and installed very smooth. It was screaming to stay with me as they left though :P

Thanks for all the help, you all are the best ;D

fastvfr
01-01-2006, 17:11
Glad all is well, RR!

I'm sure they'll have fun with it!