problems with new monitor... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : problems with new monitor...

ashley
12-25-2005, 14:51
i just got a dell E176FP monitor for christmas and it's really irritating me. for some reason the screen is very jittery. i've tried changing the refresh rate, the resolution, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, different power sorces, etc. it works fine on our computer upstairs (windows 98 upstairs, i'm running windows xp).

what else can i try? i called dell tech support but since it's not the actual monitor, and i because i'm using a gateway desktop, they won't help. i can't call gateway because i no longer have access to their tech support. i've also searched the dell forums and tried everything there.

i'm assuming two things. either the breaker i'm on in my room sucks and there some interference or my computer just doesn't like this monitor for some reason.

what else can i try?

- ashley

Froggy_131
12-25-2005, 15:08
Unshielded speakers can do that to a monitor - happened to me. I just had to relocate the speakers away from the monitor.

Originally posted by ashley
i just got a dell E176FP monitor for christmas and it's really irritating me. for some reason the screen is very jittery. i've tried changing the refresh rate, the resolution, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, different power sorces, etc. it works fine on our computer upstairs (windows 98 upstairs, i'm running windows xp).

what else can i try? i called dell tech support but since it's not the actual monitor, and i because i'm using a gateway desktop, they won't help. i can't call gateway because i no longer have access to their tech support. i've also searched the dell forums and tried everything there.

i'm assuming two things. either the breaker i'm on in my room sucks and there some interference or my computer just doesn't like this monitor for some reason.

what else can i try?

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 15:12
Originally posted by Froggy_131
Unshielded speakers can do that to a monitor - happened to me. I just had to relocate the speakers away from the monitor.

han't thought of that but i just unplugged them and no luck. the tv is unplugged too.

- ashley

nognig
12-25-2005, 15:24
Is it a LCD monitor (flat screen) or a CRT (regular old tube) monitor?

If it's a regular old monitor, you might want to move it to a new location and try it again.

A friend had the same problem and it turned out that on the other side of the wall from his monitor was a panel of circuit breakers. The 60 Hz frequency of the power lines caused a weird jittery, waving effect on the screen.

If it's LCD, then I've go no freakin' idea what could cause that.

NN

nognig
12-25-2005, 15:26
Originally posted by ashley
han't thought of that but i just unplugged them and no luck. the tv is unplugged too.

- ashley

You might want to try moving them. It's the permanent magnet in the speakers that causes the screen to mess up, so unplugging won't fix it. I've never seen a speaker cause a screen to "jitter" usually it just messes up the colors.

NN

funbob
12-25-2005, 15:30
Anything else near it that could be generating noise? Other common culprits are desk fans, GSM cell phones, fluorescent lights, high draw appliances on the same circuit, such as microwaves and fridges, can also cause problems. Assuming you're not using the integrated video, try swapping video cards to rule that out. Have you tried using the monitor from the upstairs computer? Does it do that same thing?

ashley
12-25-2005, 15:42
it's an LCD.

my cell phone isn't the culprit. there are some flourescent lights, will i actually have to take them out? i've tried just turning them off.

i just moved the speakers and tv about 10 feet away, still nothing. how far should i be moving these things? this is insane.

the fridge is upstairs, on the same circut, and the washer and dry are about 15-18 feet away on a completely different circut.

ohh and for whatever reason it gets worse when i actually use my mouse.

- ashley

funbob
12-25-2005, 15:44
oh, if it's an LCD, than none of that applies. They aren't affected by RF noise the way CRT's are. We just made you move a bunch of stuff for nothing ;f. I have no clue what could be causing the problem. My guess is some sort of problem with the video hardware in that computer.

ashley
12-25-2005, 15:45
Originally posted by funbob
Anything else near it that could be generating noise? Other common culprits are desk fans, GSM cell phones, fluorescent lights, high draw appliances on the same circuit, such as microwaves and fridges, can also cause problems. Assuming you're not using the integrated video, try swapping video cards to rule that out. Have you tried using the monitor from the upstairs computer? Does it do that same thing?

i haven't tried switching video cards, i have no idea where they are located and what i would have to do to get my stepdads to work on my computer.

i had a CRT and had no problems with it.

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 15:45
oh, if it's an LCD, than none of that applies. They aren't affected by RF noise the way CRT's are. I have no clue what could be causing the problem. My guess is some sort of problem with the video hardware in that computer.

lol, okay.

- ashley

funbob
12-25-2005, 15:46
What are the model numbers of the computers in question?

ashley
12-25-2005, 15:56
What are the model numbers of the computers in question?

the computer is from gateway. i'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but the sticker on the back says ATXSTF FED performance 800. i got it in 2000 and there's been a lot of changes to it but i've never touched the video card. the monitor is a dell E176FP.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:01
What version of Windows?98?2000?ME?XP?

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:02
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
What version of Windows?98?2000?ME?XP?

ohh i'm running xp and upstairs where the thing works were running 98.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:03
That model PC has the Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller unless a seperate video card came with it.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:05
Okay so the problem is with Windows XP?Home or Pro?Should be fairly easy to sort out now.

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:09
That model PC has the Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller unless a seperate video card came with it.

i have no idea if a seperate video card came with it but when i check the display that's what it says (Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller).

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:09
Okay so the problem is with Windows XP?Home or Pro?Should be fairly easy to sort out now.

home.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:11
Latest XP home video drivers from Intel here

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=798&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21

funbob
12-25-2005, 16:12
Does the monitor plug directly into the back of the computer or does it plug in towards the bottom where the expansion cards would go? My research indicates this line of PC's was available with a TNT2 M64 video card, which was not a particularly good card, even back in its day. Flickering was not an uncommon problem with this card and I'm currently looking for fixes.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:16
The TNT Nvidia cards were common in some Gateways.The fix for them is revert to older drivers.Despite what Nvidia says the newer drivers do not work properly with the TNT cards.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:19
Funbob the TNT cards are normally good.Their 3d was better than old ATI's but their 2d wasn't quite as nice(clear).Don't use drivers newer than the 4x.xx series.Can even go older.The 5x.xxx Nvidia do not work properly with the TNT cards but Windows update will try to tell you to install the newer drivers.

funbob
12-25-2005, 16:22
If you wouldn't mind posting a screenshot similar to this so we could tell for sure what type of video hardware you have, that'd be great.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobthemtnbiker/video.jpg

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:35
okay.

i dl the new driver and it still doesn't work. there's the orginal driver in the device manager and i'd assume the new (with the yellow ! mark).

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:38
ohh and the one with the yellow exclamation mark says this when i check the properties.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:39
the one with yellow mark says "Microsoft".Not sure that's the new one.The downloaded one is from Intel.Maybe it means it's a Microsoft warning message.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:39
I think you must do an unistall and then reinstall the new driver.

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:41
the one with yellow mark says "Microsoft".Not sure that's the new one.The downloaded one is from Intel.Maybe it means it's a Microsoft warning message.

no clue, i tried to uninstall the first one but it didn't seem to go anywhere. should i uninstall them both and reinstall the new one?

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:42
yes! And maybe a reboot before installing the new one.

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:43
yes! And maybe a reboot before installing the new one.

alright, i'll try that.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:51
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282195

ashley
12-25-2005, 16:55
okay, i uninstalled both of them. restarted and of course windows immediatly started searching for the drivers and installed them. nothing has changed. how can i stop windows from automatically doing this?

as for the link, would this really be considered "stop responding"? i've had xp for at least a year now with no problems.

"This behavior can occur if Legacy USB support is enabled in your computer's BIOS. This option does not need to be used on Windows XP-based computers."

where can i disable this option?

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 16:58
The link was just additional info.Not for your monitor problem.Okay now for the driver,you can tell Windows you "have disk" and direct it to where the new driver is.You can uncheck everything and put the location of the driver in the blank at the bottom of the search.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 17:00
The USB thing is in your BIOS settings before the computer boots Windows.Press the "Delete" key maybe.

ashley
12-25-2005, 17:04
The link was just additional info.Not for your monitor problem.Okay now for the driver,you can tell Windows you "have disk" and direct it to where the new driver is.You can uncheck everything and put the location of the driver in the blank at the bottom of the search.

right, i knew that. i guess it doesn't matter. i'm just not sure where windows found the driver it installed. the driver date is more recent than the one i had before. either way, it's still not working!!

could i just possibly need a new video card?

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 17:06
That's still an older driver.That is version 6.1 there is now 6.6 and 6.7 and maybe even newer.Let me check.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 17:07
Well maybe it's 6.13,then would be new.Let me do some snooping around.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 17:09
Okay,the driver is the problem.The Intel link I gave you has 6.7 at the top.It's the best for LCD and the newest.Below it is 6.6.The one you have now is called 6.1.

ashley
12-25-2005, 17:11
Okay,the driver is the problem.The Intel link I gave you has 6.7 at the top.It's the best for LCD and the newest.Below it is 6.6.The one you have now is called 6.1.

off to try that one :)

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 17:34
okay 6.7 is what i dl'ed in the first place. i assume that was the yellow one. i uninstalled everything again. i now am set on "default monitor" and something called vgasave. they're attached. i screwed something up. i did this earlier and had to do a system restore.

now when i try to install the driver i can't. i get those screen shots up too.

- ashley

ashley
12-25-2005, 17:36
more. i love computers.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 17:40
Hmmm,okay the driver has to be in an installable form.There are two versions at the link.The .exe should work the .zip needs to be unzipped(opened).

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:05
Here is the main page you need with more install and trouble shooting info.

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel815/

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:06
Drivers

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=797&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:07
Ohhhhh campatibility chart.READ CAREFULLY

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020598.htm

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:08
Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP instructions - Check the Intel® Graphics tab

1. Right-click on the desktop and select Properties.
2. Click the Settings tab.
3. Click the Advanced button.
4. Click the Intel® Graphics Technology or Intel® Extreme Graphics tab. If the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver tab is listed instead, use Device Manager to check the graphics driver version.
5. The graphics driver version string, such as "6.13.01.3004", will be listed below the graphics controller.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:11
That last driver you had was the latest version.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:12
6.13.1.3196 should be version V6.7

ashley
12-25-2005, 18:22
6.13.1.3196 should be version V6.7

okay, i was about to go crazy. well, everything is up to date then. i have that version installed. it still looks like crap.

just my luck!

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:30
okay I'll keep an eye out for a solution.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:36
here is another download site with a bit of advice.Looks the same as you now have though.

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/1213

ashley
12-25-2005, 18:38
well thanks for the help :) i'll get one of my friends over here to look at it.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:39
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/intel810.html

ashley
12-25-2005, 18:47
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/intel810.html

for whatever reason when i try to use the .exe setup i get the error messages here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=5463755

i used the .zip files fine and it's all installed. it just doesn't work.

maybe i should just invest in a new video card? any recommendations?

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:53
Okay i found out that that chipset supports an AGP graphics card also.Do you know if one is installed?That would conflict with the Intel graphics.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:54
oo OS type.It might be for older Windows than XP.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 18:55
If either one will install it should be okay.You could start trying older versions to see if anything clears up.

ashley
12-25-2005, 19:19
no AGP graphic card and 3196 should be compatible with XP according to the chart you linked to.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 19:24
Yes that should be the proper driver.You can start working backwards and trying older drivers.Also I'm not sure what settings and software came with the monitor.Also there was a problem with XP that has a fix to increase the refresh rate.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 19:29
http://majorgeeks.com/RefreshForce_d1847.html

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2005, 19:32
http://majorgeeks.com/EyeRelief_d4462.html

ashley
12-25-2005, 19:34
just tried the older driver, doesn't work.

- ashley

nognig
12-26-2005, 19:54
Ashley,

You said you tried changing the refresh rate, etc. Did you try changing the setting on the monitor? Using the buttons on the monitor, you should be able to have the monitor "auto adjust" the image settings.

Check out this link:

LCD Adjustments (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/troubleshooting/pc/ls/122001.asp)

NN

ashley
12-29-2005, 15:10
Originally posted by nognig
Ashley,

You said you tried changing the refresh rate, etc. Did you try changing the setting on the monitor? Using the buttons on the monitor, you should be able to have the monitor "auto adjust" the image settings.

Check out this link:

LCD Adjustments (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/troubleshooting/pc/ls/122001.asp)

NN

sorry, i've been out fot won for a few days.

auto-adjust does nothing to fix the problem.

- ashley

Washington,D.C.
12-29-2005, 21:28
Looking through the Dell forums that seems to be a common complaint with that monitor and Intel graphics.One fix is to add a video card.You most likely don't want to do that.Here are some trouble shooting pages about your monitor from Dell.Maybe some of the settings will help.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E176FP/English/setup.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E176FP/English/solve.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E176FP/English/