Your favorite mini HT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite mini HT?

Geko45
12-27-2005, 12:28
Of the new crop of mini HTs, which one is your favorite? There seems to be several good choices. There is the Yauseu VX-5R and VX-7R, the Icom IC-T90a and the Kenwood TH-F6A. I have the Icom IC-T90a. A very solid little radio. It does 6m, 2m and 70cm at 5W. It also has wide band receive from 495Khz to 999.990Mhz and NOAA weather alert.

Pros:
Most affordable of this breed (since VX-5R was discontinued)
Easy to use and program
Weather resistant
Aliminum case

Cons:
15hr charge time
(optional desktop charger is 2hrs)
Only two power settings (5W and .5W)
Optional accesories are overpriced.

I replaced the the stock antenna with a Maldol 511 triband ducky. It does as well as the stock antenna (not great), but it is shorter and more convenient (only 4in). I also have the Pryme RD-98 which is a 16in whip for 2m and 70cm which also has good wideband RX properties (much better than the stock antenna). Intermod is present but manageable (any mini HT is gonna have this problem). I also did the mod to open up the TX. I know some don't approve of that, but it gave me coverage on 220Mhz as well (only at .3W though). I downloaded the service manual and discovered that I can recalibrate the output power fairly easily. I'm going to try to back down hi power to 3.5W and increase low to 1.5W. I think those levels would be more useful in a mini HT.

So what do ya'll think? Anybody own any of these little radios? With such wide coverage, I think they are a whole lot of fun.

R. Emmelman
12-27-2005, 19:34
I don't like the mini-HTs. That is why I bought the Alinco DJ596. My requirements for an HT were BNC antenna connector, 5-watts, and full size. Just my 2-cents worth.

73 de WI9NDY

martho
12-27-2005, 20:37
I had a IC T81A which was a 6/2/440/1296 FM talkie.

It had a horrible menu toggle switch and was very difficult to program and operate. The computer programming resolved that issue, however to turn the PL on and off was a PITA. The step size settings were also buried in a menu too deep for easy access.

I think if I had to get a new talkie, I would be hard pressed to look at anything other than the IC W32A

KG4IDA
12-28-2005, 18:36
I like the Icom Q7a. It's only 300mw but I like it.

lomfs24
12-29-2005, 17:09
I have a Yaesu VX5-R and I don't really care for it. It's a good enough little radio but it has a flakey display that is just about shot. That part I don't like. It seems a little difficult to program w/o software. Especially if you have odd repeater splits. I did like the ability to know when another unit was within simplex range (Yaese only :( )

I also have a Kenwood TH-D7A(G). That's a great little radio with the APRS/TNC built into it. It seems to have a stronger fontend than most handhelds and certainly a better front end that most mini's.

I would have to give the Kenwood my nodd of approval.

Geko45
12-29-2005, 21:23
Originally posted by lomfs24
I have a Yaesu VX5-R and I don't really care for it.
Can I have it? ;)

It seems a little difficult to program w/o software.
I have heard that more than once about both the VX-5R and VX-7R.

I also have a Kenwood TH-D7A(G). ... I would have to give the Kenwood my nodd of approval.
Interesting, I need a new 'full' sized HT. I looked at the TH-F6A when I was pricing minis. It looked liked the best radio, but it was also the most expensive.

lomfs24
12-30-2005, 06:04
Originally posted by Geko45
Can I have it? ;)

PM me with an offer for the VX-5R. I comes with a battery, a AA battery pack, standard antenna (I have to find the extension for the 6 meter band) I would also have to find the little stubby antenna that is supposed to be a triband antenna. Don't ask me how an antenna that is about an inch tall handles 6 meters but it says it does. Probably it's a lot closer to an unshielded dummy load. I would probably throw in the headset even though it's a long way from new.

It also has the altimeter card installed in it. And it was freeband mod'ed before I got it.

Remember too, it has a flakey display that sometimes goes blank. Nothing a little bump to the side won't fix though. It's just a little annoying.

So shoot me an offer and I'll make you a good deal.

Sambolijah
12-31-2005, 11:32
I have a Vertex Standard (same as Yaesu?) VXA-700. Yeah, it only does 2M, at least on the ham side, but I use it mostly for aviation and as my backup in the cockpit. Great battery life, reasonable charge time, water resistant, magnesium case (i think). Great little unit.

Ivory Kid
01-04-2006, 20:38
Originally posted by Geko45
Of the new crop of mini HTs, which one is your favorite?

I don't have much to compare to, but I really enjoy my TH-F6A. I take it along on every hike I go on and it has definitely held up. I have considered one of the newer VX's, but I can't justify the expense at this time. I am trying to get my wife to get her Tech license, and if she does, I will probably get me... I mean her a VX-7.