Is Gangsta Music Detrimental to our Youth? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Gangsta Music Detrimental to our Youth?

isuzu
12-27-2005, 20:34
Fellow BOGs,

As we might have noticed, Gangsta Music is very popular among our youth nowadays. A lot of rappers are advocating gun violence through music. And this is a very effective medium to drive the message to our youth. It's not subliminal anymore, they use plain words to drive the message.

The youth nowadays emulate these rap artists by wearing their own "colors" and being distinctive among other groups. These artists think it's "cool" to pack a "nine" and "smoke" the others. Big cities in the US and Canada are starting to feel the effects of this phenomenon with the increasing gang violence in their areas.

These rappers defend their music by insisting their right to the freedom of speech. Your thoughts on this, fellow BOGs.

Kiddo
12-27-2005, 21:09
I think their music should be banned altogether. ;e But that just wouldn't happen since there are a lot of rappers and supporters already out there. In our school, there are these groups who wear those gangsta clothes with all their bling-blings, listening gangsta music on their mp3 players and whatnot. They talk about how cool is it in the states where there are a lot more people like 'them' and then they start hating the teachers, the school, parents and other people for various reasons.

What the government could do is to regulate the sale of this type of music to the youth. But seeing that the government can't even regulate some of the more basic things that need to be regulated ;Q...

The best solution imho would be to eliminate the gangsta thing altogether because it IS detrimental to our youth.

9MX
12-27-2005, 22:30
so far, i feel no detrimental effects ;f

cznayr
12-27-2005, 22:57
Gangsta music is not mainstream music here..

AIn't that right, dawg? ;f

Kiddo
12-27-2005, 23:17
oi youth daw e.. ;) ;a

New_comer
12-27-2005, 23:24
Gangsta tunes, just like any other music (rock, disco, robotic, grunge, etc.), become archaic in time, and would lose its appeal to be replaced by another equally "offensive" tune in the future.

BTW, I like Eminem and SnoopDog music, FWIW ;)

TED
12-27-2005, 23:51
YES, it IS. Horribly so.

TED

MELBU
12-28-2005, 01:50
eY wAsSuP Homies?..hOws Da hOod? aInt nO fRigGin rAp hEre yO'll ;f ;a ;f

Hehehe Im a seventies rocker who likes uriah heep, foghat, lynard skynard, but i like some rap music makes me feel bagets again hehehe

aiyt!
Melbu

bokbok_05
12-28-2005, 02:14
so far, i feel no detrimental effects

tulad din ni 9MX, wala naman masamang epekto sa pagkatao ko.;f ;f

Kiddo
12-28-2005, 04:05
Youth nga daw e! ;e

Seriously speaking, ok lang sana if its just the music, but the artists themselves are very bad models of society. I don't think it would be very detrimental if it was only the music while the rappers lead normal, law abiding lives. Pero pati yung mga rappers wannabe gangsta din eh.

isuzu
12-28-2005, 06:16
Originally posted by Kiddo
Youth nga daw e! ;e

Seriously speaking, ok lang sana if its just the music, but the artists themselves are very bad models of society. I don't think it would be very detrimental if it was only the music while the rappers lead normal, law abiding lives. Pero pati yung mga rappers wannabe gangsta din eh.

Or they were involved in crimes such as drugs and murders. I don't know if they do it on purpose to make them popular, and write songs about it.

Kiddo
12-28-2005, 06:48
Originally posted by isuzu
Or they were involved in crimes such as drugs and murders. I don't know if they do it on purpose to make them popular, and write songs about it.

They probably do! Just like celebrities purposely having scandals about them so they'll always be on the spotlight. ;Q

kristiansen
12-28-2005, 08:12
sometimes i hear these music in malls,cars etc.and i don't want my kids to be saying those nasty things.it is plain garbage!for me,there is a way of making music whether it is rap,rock,country,jazz,blues etc. without those foul words ,sexual innuendos and violent stories.and i hope they pass away.......;c

Froggy_131
12-28-2005, 10:45
Bad parenting is more detrimental to the youth!

PMMA97
12-28-2005, 15:39
Originally posted by Froggy_131
Bad parenting is more detrimental to the youth!

Guidance is key when it comes to the youth. But for us adults, If it's too noisy you are too old. ;f Ayt?

Ersatz0906
12-28-2005, 15:57
banning can lead to more violence :soap:

PMMA97 is right, guidance is the key...

Warning: spend time to your kids first before giving any advice they might turn your advice against you. you have to know what's in his head, so that you could give the best advice ;f

MELBU
12-28-2005, 21:52
Originally posted by PMMA97
But for us adults, If it's too noisy you are too old. ;f Ayt?

Aiyt!;f

castorTroy
12-29-2005, 04:40
It is definitely detrimental to the positive moral growth of the youth as it makes acceptable and desirable many actions that should be, in my opinion, considered otherwise.
So why isn't it banned altogether? This is because many countries, such as the U.S. where much of this gangsta music comes from, value freedom of speech.
It's either gangsta music is banned but freedom of speech is sacrificed, or freedom of speech is valued but gangsta music is allowed. In any case, I think most of us would choose the latter.
;b

antediluvianist
12-30-2005, 01:25
I congratulate you guys who can actually understand the words those gangsta rappers are saying. All these years of firing loud guns and you can still comprehend what the hell those guys are saying?

Do they print the lyrics to those "songs" on the back of the CDs, like what is done for some normal songs?

By the way, you heard that story that somebody sued to have the song "Louie, Louie" banned on the grounds of obscenity, and the Court ruled that "Louie, Louie" was not obscene on the grounds that no one could understand the words.

jmy
12-30-2005, 06:21
To be honest,I don't like most(99%)of the music of the youth today.You see,aside from guns,I am also a Stereo(Audio)Freak that I have my own music room at my home.I told my daughter if her taste of music are the only ones available,I won't even buy a transistor radio.

jmy

kristiansen
12-30-2005, 21:22
Happy New year jmy!magkakasundo kayo ng cousin ko.he's also an audio freak.they are the ones importing those speakers from norway/sweden i think displayed in archi.audio in gbelt.he's using tube ampli and the good old LP records.

toxic
12-31-2005, 00:05
Any type of music can be out grown, Panapanahon lang at lilipas din.
Like Toys ,TV shows, cartoons and video games we love to watch and play.

What scares me most is SAME SEX Marriage , well for me thats definitely sending a BAD signal to our youths.

Django
12-31-2005, 00:07
In my youth, my Dad used to say that my music (Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Credence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, etc.) were pure noise and would ultimately lead me to become a drug addict.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. I could not also understand the music of my sons.

But I am more tolerant since I have come to realize that every generation will have its own music which the previous generation will eventually dislike to the point of hating it. :)

Happy New Year to all BOGs.;z ;z ;z